British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/if-you-had-name-one-whats-worst-thing-about-living-vancouver-island-606681/)

Hammy1976 May 1st 2009 9:43 pm

If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

:fingerscrossed::blink::confused::fingerscrossed:

Monkey Puzzle May 1st 2009 10:19 pm

Re: If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Erm..

erm..

erm..

erm..

..that I didn't do it sooner?
..that most of the people I love don't??

..not that that's the poor island's fault, right enough! :D

The sun's out, the sea is sparkling, it's Friday afternoon ...you're not going to get anything sensible out of me!

R I C H May 1st 2009 10:29 pm

Re: If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Putting aside any potential issues finding work etc, two things put us off from moving to the island - the damp/rainy climate and the cost and hassle of getting to the mainland.

It's certainly a beautiful place to visit though, and I can understand it's draw.

Monkey Puzzle May 1st 2009 10:42 pm

The weather here (esp. on the Saanich Peninsula just north of Victoria) is drier than Vancouver. Apparently we're in a wee rain shadow, protected by the mountains. Lovely.

I've thought of it ...no John Lewis. Then again, my financial advisor would say that's a good thing. Bah.

Danny B May 1st 2009 10:53 pm

The Ferry ride.

Paul in Victoria May 1st 2009 10:56 pm

getting sun burnt......
last night, about 4:30.......
whilst layed out on my sun lounger......
drinking a large G&T......

:rofl::rofl:

Steve_P May 1st 2009 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle (Post 7534012)
The weather here (esp. on the Saanich Peninsula just north of Victoria) is drier than Vancouver. Apparently we're in a wee rain shadow, protected by the mountains. Lovely.

Vancouver is hardly a worthwhile yardstick though is it? There's tons of places drier than Vancouver.

No major sports of any kind, not even junior hockey.

Tanah May 2nd 2009 12:31 am

The Canadians!!!!!

( ok that was a joke before anyone bites my head off :p )

Monkey Puzzle May 2nd 2009 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 7534124)
Vancouver is hardly a worthwhile yardstick though is it? There's tons of places drier than Vancouver.

I said that because I could see from the OP's signature that he's thinking of coming to the island or Vancouver / Lower Mainland. :p

PaulandNikki May 2nd 2009 1:10 am

Work, or lack thereof, in particular for me.

fuschiagirl May 2nd 2009 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle (Post 7533966)
Erm..

erm..

erm..

erm..

..that I didn't do it sooner?
..that most of the people I love don't??

..not that that's the poor island's fault, right enough! :D

The sun's out, the sea is sparkling, it's Friday afternoon ...you're not going to get anything sensible out of me!

Like he said:thumbsup:

Spongebob May 2nd 2009 4:03 am

House prices number one worst thing. Rain can be bad in the winter, cost of ferry.

Regarding sports, there is the Salmon Kings for mid level professional Ice Hockey (ECHL) . For junior hockey there is the victoria grizzlies (BCHL)

GlamGran May 2nd 2009 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 7534124)

No major sports of any kind, not even junior hockey.

Vancouver has the Giants, Victoria has the Grizzlies. Both Junior A.

JonboyE May 2nd 2009 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by GlamGran (Post 7535486)
Vancouver has the Giants, Victoria has the Grizzlies. Both Junior A.

The Giants are in the Western Hockey League. It is a far higher standard than Junior A.

Steve_P May 2nd 2009 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 7535525)
The Giants are in the Western Hockey League. It is a far higher standard than Junior A.

What he said ^^^^.