Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had cash in the UK right now..

If you had cash in the UK right now..

Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had cash in the UK right now..

canada does seem to be in the doldrums, I'm like Snowy - moving pounds over too early - it hurt for quite a while!
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

I'm currently in the process of moving over my personal pensions, so I'm quite happy with the exchange rate right now. Unlike 5 years ago when I sold my UK house and moved over the money at 1.59 ...grrrrrr!
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 7:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
..would you take advantage of the falling loonie and convert your savings into CAD or would you continue to keep them in £. I know for years people have been saying that you should have a diverse currency portfolio and its generally safer to keep it in different countries as well, but do you see value in doing that especially if you never intend to leave Canada.
IMO, always keep the majority of your money in the currency of the country that you live in. If you want to have a small amount in an account in a different country, then that would be OK [because you never say never], providing there are no fees associated with keeping an account in a non-resident country.

If you have pots of money, then you may look at the HSBC Premier account
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanist
I'm currently in the process of moving over my personal pensions, so I'm quite happy with the exchange rate right now. Unlike 5 years ago when I sold my UK house and moved over the money at 1.59 ...grrrrrr!
Ditto I moved it when much lower

It hurts...
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 8:53 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanist
Originally Posted by vanity
Ditto I moved it when much lower

It hurts...
I moved myself for a job when it was at 1.45 . Not a good idea when you are negotiating your package in GBP against a stronger CAD.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 9:22 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Well my crystal ball's suddenly gone cloudy.
What I do know is that a rate of over 2 is a welcome bonus given the rate that was available to us when we first came over. Since then we have trickle fed our uk assets into canada in the understanding that rates fluctuate. We do our best to pick the periodic peak. In saying that, we are now at a high and we have transferred at lower rates but today's rates may also be a high water mark and notwithstanding other so-called experts who expect rates to rocket in the near future I prefer to take the bird in the hand and will be bringing more across in the new year.
What you can be absolutely sure of is that whatever you do will turn out to be wrong.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 9:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Good point but some analysts are predicting that CAD will start raising in value around March 2016.
Banks have teams of economists and analysts who can't reliably predict what the exchange rate will be next week (if they could the banks would make millions trading currency, and they don't), so I wouldn't bet $5 on a prediction of what the exchange rate will be four months from now.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 10:54 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

For those who are keeping an eye on the CAD, what are your predictions for 2016?

Oil is still quite low (and is expected to stay low for the next few months) and this will definitely affect the CAD. It has mostly been in decline since 2014 but sometimes we see it bumping up for a week or so and then taking a deeper dive than where left off. So yeah, any predictions folks?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with post #22, in fact its out of us common folk control & those trying to play the FX, its a crap shoot IMO

Since this is pure guess & speculation without any qualification, for post #23: CAD will hit $1.60 US sometime this year.

On the GBP : CDN, my guess is it will drop to the $1.80 - $1.90 range

What is your prediction Edo?

Last edited by not2old; Feb 4th 2016 at 4:42 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I think the other thing to consider is what do you do with it! For example, it's not hard to find decent dividends (above 4%) with not too much risk in Canada which will be far less heavily taxed than will UK dividends, which makes moving it over attractive. On the other hand some fixe-rate sterling products offer better interest rate (e.g., 3% for 5 years) than do any of the GICs I've found here in Ontario, so this might influence you to keep it in the UK if you want to stay in cash...
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:35 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
What is your prediction Edo?
I'd say back to where it was in 2003-04 would be best but I may be asking for too much

On a serious note, WHAT is pushing the CAD up again when the oil prices are still so low?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 6:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Edo
I'd say back to where it was in 2003-04 would be best but I may be asking for too much
looking at the historical charts - it shows GBP:CDN 2.20 to 2.50 exchange range .
Old Feb 5th 2016, 12:26 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
looking at the historical charts - it shows GBP:CDN 2.20 to 2.50 exchange range .
Exactly . Wouldn't it be nice if it goes up to that level even if its for a short while.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 2:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it would be great, I might even be inclined to buy one of those colour televisions or a high fidelity stereophonic record player.