Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could move to the US...would you?

If you could move to the US...would you?

Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: If you could move to the US...would you?

We've just moved up from NYC. I would be very wary of moving back to the States, even if the opportunity arose. The people we have met have (mostly) been lovely, and the same has been true here. I think that both countries are so huge that is doesn't make much sense to compare "Americans" and "Canadians". There is probably more in common between a Californian and a BCer (what's the collective term there I wonder?) than there is between a Texan and a New Yorker.

What would concern me is the very very difficult position temporary workers have in the US - when my husband lost his job we basically had to leave. The lack of any sort of protection for workers unless you are in a unionised environment (I know Canada is behind Europe on this one too). Most importantly the permanent worry about healthcare costs, when in between jobs, on losing a job, when your employer decides to downgrade your insurance deal (or get rid of it, should they choose), or even when you are ill or have an accident about whether you will actually be covered.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:32 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with what one of the other posters said about materialism etc.

If I had to live anywhere other than England or Canada, I would choose somewhere in Europe. Way more exposure to life beyond one's borders than you would ever find in America.

I just don't get the whole "America is great" thing - it's got some good things going for it, they are just totally outweighed by the bad things. Before DBD33 jumps down my throat, this is just my opinion, I'm sure other people think it is fantastic.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Does that bother him? I get the impression that Canadian elections are such a non event that I can't imagine someone not living in the country would be fussed about voting? I watch the US news a lot and the recent Canadian election barely even got a mention - in fact, I'm not sure it was mentioned at all... Several US colleagues didn't even know we'd had an election here recently and couldn't even name the Canadian Prime Minister!

Yes, it does. He feels he is a citizen of the country. He has not given up his Canadian citizenship, pays taxes, contributed 36 years of his life to the military there and yet because he is living on the other side of the border he can longer enjoy the rights of citizenship? Since he still pays taxes in Canada, he is interested in the elections because they have a direct bearing on his taxes and pension and because his son, grandson and his sisters and their families still live there. He reads a Canadian newspaper online every morning. He is still Canadian although a Canuck with US Citizenship.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77
I live on the border, so I regularly see both sides of the coin - so it's something I often wonder about - i.e. if I had the chance to move to the US, would I take it....

From what I've seen of the US, compared to Canada :-
  • More choice of goods and are cheaper
  • Alcohol is insanely cheap in supermarkets
  • Drivers are mental and the roads are needlessly complex
  • People are generally much ruder than Canada
  • Run the risk of someone pulling a gun on you (especially around here)

Would I go if it was offered? Not sure....... I like Canada, kind of halfway between US and Britain....

I realise a lot of people in this section of the forum are fixated on Canada - so expecting some contentious replies, but that's part of the fun
Hi,

As people have metioned here already with regards to the medical situation the US, may I suggest you read this - it's the dream - to sadness!

But a very touching story all the same.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...merican-dream/

Yogi
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Hi,

As people have metioned here already with regards to the medical situation the US, may I suggest you read this - it's the dream - to sadness!

But a very touching story all the same.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...merican-dream/

Yogi
Read that - really sad that a the "number 1" country is so out of kilt with the rest of the modern world in healthcare. Saw a documentary where an unisured lady had breast cancer - she had to pay for all her treatment and could not afford some of the drugs that lessen the effects of the chemo. On top of that he bills piled up and she was constantly being harrassed by debt collectors. Eventually she and her husband sold everything to pay for her medications - yet she still died 2 years later. it seems almost 3rd world in so many way
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:36 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - that's quite a story and an eye opener. I live only half an hour or so from where the story was written. Lets hope his return to the UK goes well...
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I live on the border, so I regularly see both sides of the coin - so it's something I often wonder about - i.e. if I had the chance to move to the US, would I take it....

From what I've seen of the US, compared to Canada :-
  • More choice of goods and are cheaper
  • Alcohol is insanely cheap in supermarkets
  • Drivers are mental and the roads are needlessly complex
  • People are generally much ruder than Canada
  • Run the risk of someone pulling a gun on you (especially around here)

Would I go if it was offered? Not sure....... I like Canada, kind of halfway between US and Britain....

I realise a lot of people in this section of the forum are fixated on Canada - so expecting some contentious replies, but that's part of the fun

All things being equal (ie money, job satisfaction etc) I would stay in Canada.

Education in the US sucks
Heathcare is a lottery
US politics is ...er, different

It really depends on money and location location location though, some parts of the US are very pleasant, others not so much, just like Canada in fact.

But its pointless discussion anyway as the immigration system is totally different. As the man said, "If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle". Or to put it another way, looking longingly at the US is pointless because most canadian immigrants don't have a snowballs chance of getting to live there anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 1st 2008 at 2:52 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:40 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

But its pointless discussion anyway as the immigration system is totally different. As the man said, "If my aunt had balls, shes be my uncle". Or to put it another way, looking longingly at the US is pointless because most canadian immigrants don't have a snowballs chance of getting the chance to live there anyway.
Not for me though - I work for the Canadian arm of a US company, if I'd have said I wanted to go to the US instead of Canada, I'd probably be there right now.... Hence the question, if it's tabled someday, would I take it....? Right now, probably not, but we'll see what the next few years bring and how Canada restricts my career progression....
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Education in the US sucks
How so?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
How so?
Have you looked at any international comparisons lately?

http://putourkidsfirst.com/kidsfirst...ratings_US.asp

Public education in the US is laughably bad in many many places. Its only the lucky few that make it to University there (and pay handsomely for the privilege) that seem to get a decent education.

Literacy and Numeracy are mid table or worse, and don't get me started on knowledge of science, geography, creationism....

Last edited by iaink; Dec 1st 2008 at 2:55 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Public education in the US is laughably bad in many many places. Its only the lucky few that make it to University there (and pay handsomely for the privilege) that seem to get a decent education.
And yet one thinks of Canada's brighest and best applying to US schools for the prestige and for the lower cost.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

And yet one thinks of Canada's brighest and best applying to US schools for the prestige and for the lower cost.
My original comment was regarding basic high school level. In terms of university education the US has some of the best schools in the world. But if you cant read too good or dont get basic maths, or dont know where France is, thats probably cold comfort to you.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

My original comment was regarding basic high school level. In terms of university education the US has some of the best schools in the world. But if you cant read too good or dont get basic maths, or dont know where France is, thats probably cold comfort to you.
But if you were a white student attending high school in a reasonably affluent area you likely would have those skills. It may be that there's an underclass in the US which brings down the averages but that's not directly relevant if you have no chance of being part of that underclass. It's a similar argument to the one about gun crime, on average people in the US get shot often, but only certain groups of people in certain locations get shot so, if you don't move there, you can choose not to worry about it.

Excepting the issue of healthcare and, in some eras, conscription, I think the US is just too big for comparisons of the whole country to useful in shaping individual decisions.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Excepting the issue of healthcare and, in some eras, conscription, I think the US is just too big for comparisons of the whole country to useful in shaping individual decisions.
Undoubtedly true, but I would rather live in more of a meritocracy where all people get a reasonable chance at health-care and education regardless of personal circumstances, rather than one where the inner cites are basically abandoned to fend for themselves. It may have no impact on me, depending on my personal circumstances, but its not a value system I subscribe too.

I know Canada is not perfect in that regard, but its certainly a lot better than the US, and international comparisons bare that out.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 1st 2008 at 3:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.