Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could do it all over again....

If you could do it all over again....

Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could do it all over again....

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You've been here six years less than I have (and I think 7 less than dbd33).

I don't know if you're older, but I'm much crankier.

Canada does that to you eventually.
I, however, have as sweet a disposition as the day I arrived.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I, however, have as sweet a disposition as the day I arrived.
Quite.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I have been thinking back...

for the first 18 months, I said I hated Canada, I didn't want to be here (but was trapped by hubby's job, and both he and the kids loved it here). I missed the UK, I really wanted to go back even though I had nothing to go back for.

then one day, I realized that I actually did like it. I think it was homesickness that was affecting me (and possibly a little bit of depression). I sorted my life out, picked myself up and went out and made some friends. I went to school to retrain in a job that I now absolutely love and life is good :-) only issue is that my job of choice means I work long hours, often till late in the evenings and at weekends.... but I enjoy the job, just not the hours.

We have a far better life here than we did in the UK - our house is bigger and less crowded (you try raising four kids in a 3 bedroom semi where the smallest room is little more than a box room!), Mr Chookie is actually earning more than he did i the UK, our mortgage is roughly half what we paid in the UK. I am working (I am a contractor paid by the hour, but I still earn a good wage, and the fact that I am well paid is an incentive to work)

OK so maybe we are lucky, but life is good.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
When I gave suggestions for things that people could do to aleviate boredom (e.g. take up a sport, hobby, other activity; further their education; volunteer in their community; etc) I was attacked and insulted. You, of course, said absolutely nothing yet you jumped all over me recently for something much less. Seems to me you only pipe up to enforce etiquette on people you don't agree with while others can say what they like. Isn't that the definition of a hypocrite? And if you have a problem with me saying that, why didn't you have a problem with Alan using that same word to describe someone else on this very thread?
As has been pointed out to you, it is against site rules to discuss mod actions on the open forum.

However, I will say that if you feel site rules have been broken and you've had personal abuse directed at you, then use the report button - that is what it's there for! I haven't read any posts about alleviating boredom, I've only looked at this thread briefly. So I have no idea how you've been 'attacked and insulted', and am not going to read every post going back over the past few pages to see. We're not psychic, you must report things!

Bottom line, if a post is reported we'll look at it and take any action necessary, but we don't read every post/thread so you do need to bring things to our attention.

If you have any further comments on past moderator actions, please PM one of us or Sue ('the boss').

Thx.