Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could do it all over again....

If you could do it all over again....

Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:23 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could do it all over again....

I quite like where I live. But I have to say it's despite the local culture (such that it is), not because of it. Anyway, I counted up how many cradles I know - I think it's 2, or maybe 3.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I quite like where I live. But I have to say it's despite the local culture (such that it is), not because of it. Anyway, I counted up how many cradles I know - I think it's 2, or maybe 3.
Yes, apart from the neighbours (who are OK if a bit boring), there are very few born in Canada Canadians at the Uni I work at. The Pres. is Egyptian, the VP (Research) to whom I report is from Hong Kong, the Dean is Polish and the department Chair is German.

In my Research Centre among the faculty there is one Canadian (whose parents are Scottish), a NZ guy, a German, one from Northern Ireland, a Yank and myself.

Very few (perhaps 5%) of the students I teach have names which sound even vaguely Anglo or French.

Universities are better than the wilderness as a place to hide from Canadians.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
In my experience, they just don't want to listen to an immigrant moaning about Canada while telling them why the old country is better. It's not that they don't want you - they just want you to go home to find happiness and peace.
There is a lot to be said for this. I don't think very many cradles (or any other nationalities for that matter) are big on incessant whining and complaining over often mundane and irrelevant things. This is part of a culture and you can see a pattern emerge even from a website. Not from everyone, but certainly not a few either. In another thread about what some posters have observed from a recent visit to the UK, "miserable people" was brought up by more than one poster. If you fall into this category then you likely will not enjoy this continent, or perhaps anywhere. If you have a go getter and a can do attitude, you will likely enjoy life on this continent and most other places. In short, if there is something wrong with everything where you are now, there will be something wrong with everything where ever you end up moving to. The only place a perfect world exists is between your ears.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:44 am
Just Joined

TaffCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keelif
Hi Guys!!

Hope you are all ready for Christmas and are looking forward to it

It seems that a lot of people suggest to us newcomers that we should move elsewhere in the UK instead of Canada.

Just wondering if you could do it all over again after knowing what you do now, would you have still moved to Canada or somewhere else in the UK?

Hope you all have a great Christmas!!
YES, I would do it over... my family in UK are always saying never come back.... its a better standard of living here, a beautiful place. Dont get me wrong you will get home sick but that decreases as time goes on.. Obviously it depends on your reasons for moving, but personally I am glad my children are being raised here

T
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by Editha
I find that a very difficult question, mainly because the move has been much better for my husband than for me.

Neither of us like living in Alberta, but he enjoys his job, and since he is a Canadian, he's enjoyed having more contact with his family in BC and Ottawa than he had from the UK. I've spent most of the last five years being bored, homesick, and sometimes a bit frightened.

However, I also recognise there have been some advantages in being here. We've had better health care than we had in the UK, although that seems to have been due to chance. I've also enjoyed the library system in Alberta. I've made friends and being here has widened my horizons a little.

Most importantly, we will enjoy a better retirement in the UK as a result of spending a few years here, because we will be financially better off. But meanwhile 8 years of my life has gone by, and when we return, we will have to set up a new home yet again, and re-forge relationships in our community.
I imagine it must be hard when one of you like it more than the other one does.

Where do you think you will return to in the UK when you retire? Hopefully the remaining time will go quickly for you
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
If knew then what I know and value now, not in a million years would I step foot on this continent.
LOL...Well thank you Oink thats very to the point
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:00 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

No I wouldn't do it again knowing what I know now
despite wanting something different , having good. Jobs a lovely house and good friends here I'd stay home
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The juxtapositioning of North America in the same sentence as enriching culture made me chuckle, then belly-laugh and then go get a stiff drink.
Scottish culture in a bottle I assume? At least this is something you could also enjoy in North America.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:53 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think you're listening. I'm not bored with what I do, or with my friends, with my family, or with my house.

I'm bored with Canada (and North America in general). It's just bloody boring.
How do you suggest I fix it? I tried voting and a bit of activism here and there, but it's like screaming in a gagged straight jacket.
Agreed!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:53 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaffCan
YES, I would do it over... my family in UK are always saying never come back.... its a better standard of living here, a beautiful place. Dont get me wrong you will get home sick but that decreases as time goes on.. Obviously it depends on your reasons for moving, but personally I am glad my children are being raised here

T
It doesn't decrease for everyone
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The voice emanating from my tin foil hat and the light sockets is telling to post the following

For those who like it here in Canada well carry on and make the best of it.

For those of you who are undecided then you might need a bit more time before choosing the above suggestion or the below

For those of you that dislike or hate it here there are several well equipped International airports here in Canada that fly daily to the UK.
Dont give us that crap about I cant afford to move back, but my kids are in school, Ive no job to go back to etc etc
What made you move away from the UK in the 1st place if its so much better to begin with?
The vast majority of you applied to come here Canada didnt ask you to come.
If Ive offended anyone well tough luck its not all about YOU.
If Canada is that bad then DO something about it or go home.
I am sick of the well its my right, Im entitled, the Govt owes me type of attitutude from this generation in all countries. Exactly what does the Govt owe you or what are you entitled to?

Anyway rant over we will now resume normal programming
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

I am sick of the well its my right, Im entitled, the Govt owes me type of attitutude from this generation in all countries. Exactly what does the Govt owe you or what are you entitled to?
What does the one have to do with the other?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you that dislike or hate it here there are several well equipped International airports here in Canada that fly daily to the UK.
Dont give us that crap about I cant afford to move back, but my kids are in school, Ive no job to go back to etc etc
What made you move away from the UK in the 1st place if its so much better to begin with?

Charming. I'd suggest you read the Moving Back to the UK forum to see why people get stuck and are genuinely unable to move back from whichever country they are in, despite desperately wanting to in many cases.

It's not always as easy as you seem to think it is. Many have adult children/grandchildren and are torn between wanting to return to the UK and not wanting to leave them behind, many spent their life savings on moving to whichever country they are living in and now cannot afford the tens of thousands of moving back, many are married to a Canadian (or Australian, or American, or.......etc) and their spouse would be equally unhappy in the UK, so they just deal with it as best they can knowing that the only other option is divorce.

If you really think it's as easy as you make out, then your lack of empathy astounds me.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:51 pm
The Brit is back

The voice emanating from my tin foil hat and the light sockets is telling to post the following

For those who like it here in Canada well carry on and make the best of it.

For those of you who are undecided then you might need a bit more time before choosing the above suggestion or the below

Maybe you should leave the forum if people annoy you so much.

You have no idea what people are going through or know nothing of their lives so...
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Charming. I'd suggest you read the Moving Back to the UK forum to see why people get stuck and are genuinely unable to move back from whichever country they are in, despite desperately wanting to in many cases.

It's not always as easy as you seem to think it is. Many have adult children/grandchildren and are torn between wanting to return to the UK and not wanting to leave them behind, many spent their life savings on moving to whichever country they are living in and now cannot afford the tens of thousands of moving back, many are married to a Canadian (or Australian, or American, or.......etc) and their spouse would be equally unhappy in the UK, so they just deal with it as best they can knowing that the only other option is divorce.

If you really think it's as easy as you make out, then your lack of empathy astounds me.
Ive read that forum and I am quite aware of the various reasons.
Sorry where did I say it was easy?
Torn yes I agree but they made the decision so was it all about them?
I said the vast majority not all, thats why I left out the married situations.
Isnt the divorce rate/marriage rate about 50/50 these days
Lack of empathy? really and you assume this how?
I see on a daily basis refugees picked and sponsored by the Canadian Govt who arrive here from war torn countries or have faced inhumane treatment and have been forced to flee their own country.
I see people moving to Canada from all over the world via the various routes PNP, spousal sponsorship etc etc who are grateful to have been given that chance to come here and are excited.
Maybe I might come across to some as the hard assed BSO with no empathy, no common sense, by the rule type of guy etc etc but I will challenge you to do my job for 22 years and see if your attitude and outlook might change and might conflict with others on sites like this.
I have my opinion you have yours Im not saying Im right Im not saying you are wrong just a difference of opinion between 2 internet profiles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.