Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could do it all over again....

If you could do it all over again....

Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could do it all over again....

Originally Posted by Editha
I find that a very difficult question, mainly because the move has been much better for my husband than for me.

Neither of us like living in Alberta, but he enjoys his job, and since he is a Canadian, he's enjoyed having more contact with his family in BC and Ottawa than he had from the UK. I've spent most of the last five years being bored, homesick, and sometimes a bit frightened.

However, I also recognise there have been some advantages in being here. We've had better health care than we had in the UK, although that seems to have been due to chance. I've also enjoyed the library system in Alberta. I've made friends and being here has widened my horizons a little.

Most importantly, we will enjoy a better retirement in the UK as a result of spending a few years here, because we will be financially better off. But meanwhile 8 years of my life has gone by, and when we return, we will have to set up a new home yet again, and re-forge relationships in our community.
Anyone who is bored needs to be proactive for their own sanity, health and happiness. There are lots of things you could do. If you don't work, you could find a job. You could find a sport, hobby or other activity that interests you. You could go back to school to further your education. You could volunteer in your community. This will make your time in Canada more enjoyable and fulfulling. It will also make your remaining time in Canada go by quicker so you don't feel like you're counting the days until you get back to the UK.

Another benefit - you'll have to do the same things anyway if you want to meet people, make friends and settle back in the UK. So you might as well start practicing now.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 6th 2011 at 7:01 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:31 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Anyone who is bored needs to be proactive for their own sanity, health and happiness. There are lots of things you could do. If you don't work, you could find a job. You could find a sport, hobby or other activity that interests you. You could go back to school to further your education. You could volunteer in your community. This will make your time in Canada more enjoyable and fulfulling. It will also make your remaining time in Canada go by quicker so you don't feel like you're counting the days until you get back to the UK.

Another benefit - you'll have to do the same things anyway if you want to meet people, make friends and settle back in the UK. So you might as well start practicing now.
Maryland you don't know anything about my life, and what I do or don't do with my time. You haven't lived in Canada for 16 years, which means you are hardly qualified to advise anybody thinking about living here now.

Your main reason for contributing to this forum seems to be a visceral need to try to patronise other people. Obviously, you don't have enough to do with your time. Sad and a bit pathetic really.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

benrfields1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Absolutely but everyone has their own reasons.
You need to reflect on why did you leave the UK in the 1st place and where you are in life now.
Both countries have their pros and cons and we have seen a lot of threads that demonstrate this.
For us who have been here 20 plus years we obviously see Canada differently to the newcomers. Apart from wanting to go back to the UK for a visit I have no intention of going back to live there.
I gave up a secure job and nice home to make the move. Yes I struggled initially but peresevered and Im very happy with what I have now got.
I do realise that some have made the move and eventually moved back but is that down to unforseen circumstances or bad planning?
Regardless of what memories the UK has for me having lived there for 28 yrs I have accepted that Canada is my new home and now live life accordingly.
Yes I admit to being fortunate, right place right time etc etc but life is what you make it so again ask yourself the question why did you make the move?

The arrest warrant had nothing to do with it lol.
Bravo! Well said
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:54 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't. I just don't really like it here for all kinds of reasons.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If knew then what I know and value now, not in a million years would I step foot on this continent.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Sarah77 will become famous soon enough

Oink and Martin... what an earth happened over there?? why is it so bad? if it's that bad can't you come/go back to your home country?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:45 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah77
Oink and Martin... what an earth happened over there?? why is it so bad? if it's that bad can't you come/go back to your home country?
Nothing happened and I didn't say it was that bad. The question was would I do it all over again and my answer is no. I don't hate it here, though there are things I dont like about it. I just think I probably prefer living in the UK. Not a big deal.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I find that a very difficult question, mainly because the move has been much better for my husband than for me.

Neither of us like living in Alberta, but he enjoys his job, and since he is a Canadian, he's enjoyed having more contact with his family in BC and Ottawa than he had from the UK. I've spent most of the last five years being bored, homesick, and sometimes a bit frightened.

However, I also recognise there have been some advantages in being here. We've had better health care than we had in the UK, although that seems to have been due to chance. I've also enjoyed the library system in Alberta. I've made friends and being here has widened my horizons a little.

Most importantly, we will enjoy a better retirement in the UK as a result of spending a few years here, because we will be financially better off. But meanwhile 8 years of my life has gone by, and when we return, we will have to set up a new home yet again, and re-forge relationships in our community.

Maryland you don't know anything about my life, and what I do or don't do with my time. You haven't lived in Canada for 16 years, which means you are hardly qualified to advise anybody thinking about living here now.

Your main reason for contributing to this forum seems to be a visceral need to try to patronise other people. Obviously, you don't have enough to do with your time. Sad and a bit pathetic really.
Wow! It's simply general advice for anyone who finds themselves bored and/or homesick in a foreign country. It's not actually specific to Canada - the same principles apply pretty much anywhere. True, I don't know you but you posted that you were bored and homesick.

I also know plenty about living and working in Canada - probably a lot more than the average person thinking about emigrating to Canada. I lived there for 7 years and my daughter currently lives there. My 2nd daughter is going to university there next year and we're visiting and applying now. I visit Canada often for business (my company has offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal) and pleasure. Many of my coworkers are in Canada.

In the last year alone I've been there countless times in every season. I've worked there, eaten in restaurants there, driven 1000's of miles there, stayed in hotels, stayed with friends, shopped for clothing/groceries/electronics/etc, opened a bank account, bought a cell phone and plan, used government services, used business servces, visited universities, etc. I've done a lot of things that anyone else in Canada would do. So if I think I can help someone with opinions or advice then I'm willing to do that. Do you think that I can't contribute simply because I don't currently live there? Do you think that you could help someone with questions about the UK even though you don't currently live there?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing went wrong in fact quite the opposite, its just pretty shit living in some else's country. You've got different values and nothing really in common with them and TBH, and while most are polite enough not to say anything, they don't really want you here anyway.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Sarah77 will become famous soon enough

oh charming! I'm sure that's not the case. That's awfully cynical. I lived in Japan for 3 years and had a fantastic time. That's what's so good about living abroad, living amongst people with different ways of thinking. Stops life getting boring and keeps you on your toes!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
Nothing went wrong in fact quite the opposite, its just pretty shit living in some else's country. You've got different values and nothing really in common with them and TBH, and while most are polite enough not to say anything, they don't really want you here anyway.
In my experience, they just don't want to listen to an immigrant moaning about Canada while telling them why the old country is better. It's not that they don't want you - they just want you to go home to find happiness and peace.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

oh charming! I'm sure that's not the case. That's awfully cynical. I lived in Japan for 3 years and had a fantastic time. That's what's so good about living abroad, living amongst people with different ways of thinking. Stops life getting boring and keeps you on your toes!
Exactly!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:03 pm

I might suggest that there is quite a difference between moving from the UK to Canada and from the UK to Japan. I don't think you will find much to keep you on your toes here.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! It's simply general advice for anyone who finds themselves bored and/or homesick in a foreign country.
No, it's just dribbling pap.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I might suggest that there is quite a difference between moving from the UK to Canada and from the UK to Japan. I don't think you will find much to keep you on your toes here.
And having a 3 year holiday in asia is different anyway. The fact that you know you are there only temporarily means that you forgive a lot - such as the fact that the locals don't really like you (especially in Japan, that country sure is racist)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.