Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could do it all over again....

If you could do it all over again....

Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:18 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could do it all over again....

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The voice emanating from my tin foil hat and the light sockets is telling to post the following

For those who like it here in Canada well carry on and make the best of it.

For those of you who are undecided then you might need a bit more time before choosing the above suggestion or the below

For those of you that dislike or hate it here there are several well equipped International airports here in Canada that fly daily to the UK.
Dont give us that crap about I cant afford to move back, but my kids are in school, Ive no job to go back to etc etc
What made you move away from the UK in the 1st place if its so much better to begin with?
The vast majority of you applied to come here Canada didnt ask you to come.
If Ive offended anyone well tough luck its not all about YOU.
If Canada is that bad then DO something about it or go home.
I am sick of the well its my right, Im entitled, the Govt owes me type of attitutude from this generation in all countries. Exactly what does the Govt owe you or what are you entitled to?

Anyway rant over we will now resume normal programming
Who stated that returning to the UK was the only option. There are more than two countries in this world.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:28 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

The voice emanating from my tin foil hat and the light sockets is telling to post the following

For those who like it here in Canada well carry on and make the best of it.

For those of you who are undecided then you might need a bit more time before choosing the above suggestion or the below

For those of you that dislike or hate it here there are several well equipped International airports here in Canada that fly daily to the UK.
Dont give us that crap about I cant afford to move back, but my kids are in school, Ive no job to go back to etc etc
What made you move away from the UK in the 1st place if its so much better to begin with?
The vast majority of you applied to come here Canada didnt ask you to come.
If Ive offended anyone well tough luck its not all about YOU.
If Canada is that bad then DO something about it or go home.
I am sick of the well its my right, Im entitled, the Govt owes me type of attitutude from this generation in all countries. Exactly what does the Govt owe you or what are you entitled to?

Anyway rant over we will now resume normal programming
You are assuming that people moved here to get out of the UK for some reason. That was not true in my case. I moved for a job, some family reasons and quite liked the idea of living in Toronto. As I said before it's all ok, but probably, with what I know now, would have stayed in the UK. This doesn't mean I am desperate to get back in the same way I wasn't desperate to leave.
As a citizen surely I am entitled to comment on what I think could be done better or differently in my country? Part of being able to do this is having something to compare to.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my opinion you have yours Im not saying Im right Im not saying you are wrong just a difference of opinion between 2 internet profiles.
"People" not "internet profiles".
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Very well said Imartin999 you are entitled to have a say and an opinion as well as the right to vote and lobby your local MP for changes.
I have never implied that Canada is the best place to live nor have I said that our system is perfect. Sure we can learn from other countries so yes we do need the comparisons.
The Israelis do excellent pre flight screening procedures but might not apply over here. The US have some good procedures in dealing with illegal immigrants 5 year exclusions that might not be relevant in Canada.

I just tire of the attitude of what are you going to do for me. Sure I realise that people have had some tough breaks in life not all of their doing etc.
Some people need to accept that there are responsibilities in being a citizen of the world and that they face consequences and need to accept this.
I have more respect for a criminal who owns up to their crimes rather than the person who lies about it or tries to blame others and its not their fault etc.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have more respect for a criminal who owns up to their crimes rather than the person who lies about it or tries to blame others and its not their fault etc.
Who, among posters here, can fairly be likened to a criminal unwilling to confess?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

I just tire of the attitude of what are you going to do for me. Sure I realise that people have had some tough breaks in life not all of their doing etc.
Some people need to accept that there are responsibilities in being a citizen of the world and that they face consequences and need to accept this.
And how does this relate to the original question?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Who, among posters here, can fairly be likened to a criminal unwilling to confess?
Is that a question for me or a survey type question to other posters?

Yes I agree there is another "person" on the other end of the internet profile.
I have no idea who that person is though there is a small chance it could be someone I have dealt with. I much prefer the in person type discussions as I have previously stated sorry I couldnt make it on Friday novocastrian but I appreciated the offer and to also add that I respect his decision that he is making on moving to France. He is doing something about it.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Optimistic Pessimist
And how does this relate to the original question?
It doesnt
Just a thread that starts off on one subject then digresses into a multitude of other subjects then dies a natural death or is locked.
A common BE trait which you will get used to I imagine.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I just tire of the attitude of what are you going to do for me.
Hahahahaha. And who do you work for again? Face it, you're a water drinker and not a water carrier and you always have been.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Is that a question for me
Yes.

"I have more respect for a criminal who owns up to their crimes rather than the person who lies about it or tries to blame others and its not their fault etc."

are there such criminals here? If not, what does this opinion have to do with anything?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hahahahaha. And who do you work for again? Face it, you're a water drinker and not a water carrier and you always have been.
Water drinker, water carrier makes no difference to me as others have pointed out that you pay my wages and also contribute towards my pension plan so I thank you for your contributions.
Sorry we cant all be like you who Im sure contributes to Canadian society in a much more positive way than I do.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Water drinker, water carrier makes no difference to me as others have pointed out that you pay my wages and also contribute towards my pension plan so I thank you for your contributions.
Sorry we cant all be like you who Im sure contributes to Canadian society in a much more positive way than I do.
I'm glad you're sorry. No you can stop being a hypocrite complaining about people feeling entitled when those people is you.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:17 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive read that forum and I am quite aware of the various reasons.
Sorry where did I say it was easy?
Torn yes I agree but they made the decision so was it all about them?
I said the vast majority not all, thats why I left out the married situations.
Isnt the divorce rate/marriage rate about 50/50 these days
Lack of empathy? really and you assume this how?
I see on a daily basis refugees picked and sponsored by the Canadian Govt who arrive here from war torn countries or have faced inhumane treatment and have been forced to flee their own country.
I see people moving to Canada from all over the world via the various routes PNP, spousal sponsorship etc etc who are grateful to have been given that chance to come here and are excited.
Maybe I might come across to some as the hard assed BSO with no empathy, no common sense, by the rule type of guy etc etc but I will challenge you to do my job for 22 years and see if your attitude and outlook might change and might conflict with others on sites like this.
I have my opinion you have yours Im not saying Im right Im not saying you are wrong just a difference of opinion between 2 internet profiles.
How long have you been here, in Canada?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ive been here since March 1988 and yes Im older and crankier
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes.

"I have more respect for a criminal who owns up to their crimes rather than the person who lies about it or tries to blame others and its not their fault etc."

are there such criminals here? If not, what does this opinion have to do with anything?
Here in Canada Yes on this forum I have no idea.
As for having to do with anything well thats a matter of opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.