Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If not a teacher, then what?

If not a teacher, then what?

Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If not a teacher, then what?

Originally Posted by Poppit
Hi littlemissbluey

As JonboyE correctly identified, I am in Alberta and each province has it's own rules. However, the message I was trying to portray to Chris and Des was, that although it can be difficult to get your 'foot in the door', there are teaching jobs available. The thing to remember when starting a new life is to be flexible; you need to build up a network, this is how you will eventually achieve your goal.

I was very fortunate, fresh off a plane (well 5 weeks actually), and the school needed someone, they gave me a chance. My boss was open-minded, liked me, and within a few weeks had decided he wanted to keep me. Hence the permanent position. I've been so lucky, but equally I have been very flexible, taught a range of subjects, and made every effort to fit in with my colleagues.

If you want to teach in Canada, be it BC or AB, it will happen, just be persistent and keep plugging away.

For me, teaching in Canada is much less stressful than in the Uk (just my opinion of course), and I'm so glad I took the risk.

Goodluck, and if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Poppit

Last edited by RubyRose; Aug 20th 2011 at 4:01 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 4:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppit
I was very fortunate, fresh off a plane (well 5 weeks actually), and the school needed someone, they gave me a chance. My boss was open-minded, liked me, and within a few weeks had decided he wanted to keep me. Hence the permanent position. I've been so lucky, but equally I have been very flexible, taught a range of subjects, and made every effort to fit in with my colleagues.
I think this is key for most immigrants - not only teachers.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

Poppit