Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If not a teacher, then what?

If not a teacher, then what?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:06 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If not a teacher, then what?

Originally Posted by el_richo
Oh no bait at all. I just don't really get that mindset is all.
me either
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Even leased grazing land still permits public access.
Its permits it, not disputing that.

But being crown land doesn't mean that you have a right of access
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:10 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Lots of land near us that we can just walk in - many 1000's of acres of it. Problem is that it's infested with bears.
Still a lot safer than ‘provincial’ crown land infested by irate natives arguing about treaties
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Yes i really dont understand jacking it all in for what excatly??????????
Why is it that so many people act all surprised that people want to jack in their job in UK and give Canada a go when they did it themselves and the forum is called British Expats!

I mean highlighting the risks is one thing but pretending you can't understand why someone would want to move to Canada is absolutely ridiculous.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
Why is it that so many people act all surprised that people want to jack in their job in UK and give Canada a go when they did it themselves and the forum is called British Expats!

I mean highlighting the risks is one thing but pretending you can't understand why someone would want to move to Canada is absolutely ridiculous.
I think the reality is that many of us DO understand - and have already experienced some of the hardships that maybe we did not anticipate. We are all politely handing our a free "reality check" - knowing full well that each person will carry on regardless.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand choosing Canada. I understand moving to Canada because there was a good job or promising relationship and it happened to be in Canada or choosing the US, finding it too difficult, and settling for Canada but actively choosing Canada seems quite odd, something like actively choosing Belgium. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with Belgium or Canada but they're hardly the places of childhood fantasy.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't understand choosing Canada. I understand moving to Canada because there was a good job or promising relationship and it happened to be in Canada or choosing the US, finding it too difficult, and settling for Canada but actively choosing Canada seems quite odd, something like actively choosing Belgium. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with Belgium or Canada but they're hardly the places of childhood fantasy.
Have you been to the Rockies? If not - make a trip...

So where is your place of childhood fantasy?
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we didnt all jack in well paying jobs and a promising career trajectory? I came to Canada for the increased salary. Its not what keeps me here, but I can fully understand why some people posting here are trying to remove some of the rose tintedness.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:31 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I chose Canada specifically. It's not that hard to arrive at really.

I like Scotland and would have happily moved there, but it just wasn't different enough. If you are going to move, then really move.

I had the notion of working on a cruise ship to see a bit of the world but jobs were hard to come by and those that did come up were rubbish.

Someone in my family lived in Sydney for a long time. Despite her loving it, nothing I've heard makes me want to live there. Same goes for NZ, their weather seems rubbish too.

Europe is all very well for someone who wants to live in a different language, but I don't have the will to bother, despite loving Paris.

Then I looked into the US, it seems great to me because of the wide range of differences in places to go. I imagine living in San Francisco to be quite different to living in Michigan. Anyway, the visa criteria killed that.

Then I looked to Canada. I didn't qualify at the time so I put the wheels in motion to make myself qualify.

There, Canada chosen specifically, in a round about kind of way. On topic, I do know someone who moved to Slovakia and did quite well. He is a teacher.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Have you been to the Rockies? If not - make a trip...
Many times, I've been all over the American west.

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
So where is your place of childhood fantasy?
My fantasy was, and is, to be a deck chair attendant. That's not good with snow; Greece, Turkey, Florida, Southern California, the Caribbean, Bora Bora, Tahiti, it's not a country specific fantasy.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

I really don't know about that - I have a friend who lives in Belgium and he loves it there. Especially the beer! Why should it have to be childhood fantasy? Is it not enough to visit somewhere and like it so give it a go.

Seriously - as much as you personally may not understand you must be able to grasp the concept that people do strive to live here. Some of the cities here are constantly in the top ten lists of best places to live in the world. So to be oblivious to this and not understand why someone would want to live in Canada is very strange to me - and quite honestly I just do not buy it
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe we didnt all jack in well paying jobs and a promising career trajectory? I came to Canada for the increased salary. Its not what keeps me here, but I can fully understand why some people posting here are trying to remove some of the rose tintedness.
Oh i totally agree that it is great to hear both sides of the story. I just do not understand why people would act surprised or pretend to not understand why someone would choose Canada.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Many times, I've been all over the American west.

That's nice.

My fantasy was, and is, to be a deck chair attendant. That's not good with snow; Greece, Turkey, Florida, Southern California, the Caribbean, Bora Bora, Tahiti, it's not a country specific fantasy.
I hope that one day you make your fantasy become a reality then. Maybe you should move somewhere where there isn't so much snow...
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the cities here are constantly in the top ten lists of best places to live in the world. So to be oblivious to this and not understand why someone would want to live in Canada is very strange to me - and quite honestly I just do not buy it
I can understand that, but I can also get why after living here for some time people would also point out that its a lot of hassle to get here now, and that the difference between #1 on the list and #50 is not as great as all that, they are all after all Major cities in 1st world countries.

There is no one opinion that is correct, its all just different perspectives.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 16th 2011 at 1:57 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Seriously - as much as you personally may not understand you must be able to grasp the concept that people do strive to live here.
Oh, of course some people do. There's no civil strife, food is readily available, no one is going to cut your bits off, I can see that, from Ethiopia, Canada looks like paradise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.