Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If not a teacher, then what?

If not a teacher, then what?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:53 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If not a teacher, then what?

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I see what you are saying and it's a bit of a gamble. However we aren't on the NOC list so we (well hubby) has to get a job before we go. We are sensible and know what we need to move over. We aren't going to go over for a job that pays half what his current one does for example. We aren't in a rush so will wait for the right job if need be. Prepared to work hard to get it.

And before I get jumped on we are well aware of how difficult it is to get a job with an LMO.
as you said the thread isnt bout you..maybe thats more directed at the OP..who from what i can see is near the top of the tree and in a job that they openly admit that they love..to then throw it all in for what pray tell??

plus i prefer the fells to the rockies anyday of the week
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

OP = Original Poster

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Personally I would think very long and hard about giving up a decent job in the UK in search of something as elusive as the canadian dream, especially if kids are in tow. Ten years ago when the exchange rate was 2.50 there could be a decent argument, but now its a gamble at best.

Lifestyle is something you create for yourself, and means different things to different people. If you are thinking of moving 3000 miles to find it, then it has to be worth thinking about moving 300 miles instead. Ultimately I think mostly it comes down to money, and that comes down to jobs.

As Ive said many many times here, "a happily employed immigrant is a happy immigrant". For most people it pays to play the odds realistically about whether the job they are going to be doing 2 or 3 years from now will be as satisying as what they do now, or a 4000 sq ft house and 2 SUVs will not stop that dissatisfaction with those 8 hours a day 5 days a week from eating you up from the inside.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 15th 2011 at 7:03 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
as you said the thread isnt bout you..maybe thats more directed at the OP..who from what i can see is near the top of the tree and in a job that they openly admit that they love..to then throw it all in for what pray tell??

plus i prefer the fells to the rockies anyday of the week
I was trying to show that I understood his reasoning for wanting to consider such a move... he says "But I don't want to regret not ever knowing" which I completely understand.

Originally Posted by iaink
OP = Original Poster

Personally I would think very long and hard about giving up a decent job in the UK in search of something as elusive as the canadian dream, especially if kids are in tow. Ten years ago when the exchange rate was 2.50 there could be a decent argument, but now its a gamble at best.

Lifestyle is something you create for yourself, and means different things to different people. If you are thinking of moving 3000 miles to find it, then it has to be worth thinking about moving 300 miles instead. Ultimatley I think mostly it comes down to money, and that comes down to jobs.

As Ive said many many times here, "a happily employed immigrant is a happy immigrant". For most people it pays to play the odds realistically about whether the job they are going to be doing 2 or 3 years from now will be as satisying as what they do now, or a 4000 sq ft house and 2 SUVs will not stop that dissatisfaction with those 8 hours a day 5 days a week from eating you up from the inside.
I agree with everything you say... and am sure the Des and Chris do too. It's good to get different people's opinions. Hope this is helping them.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:14 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

OP = Original Poster

Really?! There's an official meaning for YMMV? I never knew what people were on about so I just invented Your Move My View instead, for my own purposes.

This day has not been a waste.

Carry on then.....
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:17 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I was trying to show that I understood his reasoning for wanting to consider such a move... he says "But I don't want to regret not ever knowing" which I completely understand.

then again you can have even bigger regrets about knowing what you threw away
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Space is something of a paradox in Canada. Lots of space here in Canada , but public access is so much easier in the UK with footpath rights of way and the like.
No really an issue in BC. Sure, there is private land in the cities and the Fraser Valley. However, the vast, vast majority of of the province is Crown Land.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

People generally focus on what they do, not what they dont do...

The 7 P's are what are important, and if the prep and planning stage lead you to think you should stick with what you have, then there is no shame in that.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No really an issue in BC. Sure, there is private land in the cities and the Fraser Valley. However, the vast, vast majority of of the province is Crown Land.
So is the vast majority of Ontario, but its either hard to get to, or some logging company has the rights and you cant go there. Its not like the UK.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

To Des and Chris,

It sounds as if you do have an itch that needs scratching. As, I presume, a person of some seniority in your local education circle, would it be possible for them to agree a years sabbatical? That might be enough for you to make on-the-ground investigations in Canada, and may help you make your mind up as to where you want to live for many years to come.

I'm not usually this helpful, but I can tell you that I've lived and worked in many places around the world; the only thing they all have in common is an initial flush of enthusiasm - "yeah, I could live here!" - followed by a longer, slower period of the gloss wearing off - "Gah, why would anyone want to live here?!"

After 4 years in Canada, I could get PR no problem if I wanted to, but I have no intention of doing so. I am very, very glad we came and experienced it, but there is no way I would burn bridges at home to live anywhere in the world.

Finally, nobody has commented on your other point on the other thread thus far... the gay-friendly factor. I'm not gay so can't give any first-hand advice, except to say that on the whole, Canadians are pretty mellow people, though of course there are plenty of exceptions. However, Calgary doesn't strike me as gay-friendly (in terms of pubs, clubs) as a million+ city perhaps could be. I'd imagine that Toronto and Vancouver win hands down on that front.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:39 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It may be crown land but that doesn't give you any right of acccess to it.

A lot of it is rented out..
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

"But I don't want to regret not ever knowing" which I completely understand.
I don't really get this. I've said it before but this goes both ways.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
It may be crown land but that doesn't give you any right of acccess to it.

A lot of it is rented out..
In the UK I always lived rurally with access to green lanes, bridleways and footpaths. It doesn't come anywhere near close to comparison with land I can access here. I've hundreds of thousands of acres to ride, walk, cycle, ATV or hike across within seconds from home. Even leased grazing land still permits public access.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of land near us that we can just walk in - many 1000's of acres of it. Problem is that it's infested with bears.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I don't really get this. I've said it before but this goes both ways.
I don't get what there isn't to get... yes it goes both ways but I'm not rising to the bait.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get what there isn't to get... yes it goes both ways but I'm not rising to the bait.
Oh no bait at all. I just don't really get that mindset is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.