Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If not a teacher, then what?

If not a teacher, then what?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If not a teacher, then what?

Originally Posted by dbd33
What leaves me nonplussed is the idea of a different lifestyle, how is it going to be different?
Well, they sound as though they will be financially worse off. Which won't help with the infamous Canadian cheese pricing conundrum.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What leaves me nonplussed is the idea of a different lifestyle, how is it going to be different?
Less commuting - more family time.
More open space - UK is in my opinion overcrowded. Traffic is a mare as are the roads.
Stunning Mountains and outdoor life.
Less drinking culture than in the UK.
Out of the rat race.

That's just for starters

Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends where you end up. Big City life is maybe much the same only with different weather. Outside the cities in small town Canada I think things can be sufficiently different to be worth the downsides. Then again it may be possible to achieve much the same change in lifestyle with a less dramatic move. YMMV of course.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Well, they sound as though they will be financially worse off. Which won't help with the infamous Canadian cheese pricing conundrum.
Maybe. I can cope with expensive cheese...
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
I think it depends where you end up. Big City life is maybe much the same only with different weather. Outside the cities in small town Canada I think things can be sufficiently different to be worth the downsides. Then again it may be possible to achieve much the same change in lifestyle with a less dramatic move. YMMV of course.
What does YMMV mean?

And I am aware I am taking over this thread - not intentionally so will stop now.

Original poster - go for it!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
More open space - UK is in my opinion overcrowded. Traffic is a mare as are the roads.
Out of the rat race.

That's just for starters

Oh, if you're retiring to rural BC, fair enough. Though I think you'll find more of a drink/drugs culture than in the UK. If you have to work then not so much.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:39 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the rat race.

That's just for starters

You can get all that in the UK..Cumbria seems to fit the bill here
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Depends on how you define Mountain. There isnt much like the rockies there and the skiing is poor. Also traffic is still a nightmare. But then if you end up in Vancouver thats still true isnt it? (the traffic, not the skiing)

Drinking culture seems to be epedemic in the UK, but you can trade that for weed here.

Rat race is a state of mind, you choose to participate wherever you are.

Space is something of a paradox in Canada. Lots of space here in Canada , but public access is so much easier in the UK with footpath rights of way and the like.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 15th 2011 at 6:45 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Am sure Cumbria is lovely but when you fall in love like we have with the rockies.... breathtaking...

Anyway - enough from me - this post isn't about me!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

In all non-cheesy seriousness, giving up a successful career for at best a period of unemployment and several steps back on the ladder and at worst, no job, re-training and starting over, is a big step. It's one of the reasons why we probably wouldn't move back the other way. The Mrs, wouldn't want to start again at the bottom in the UK. Not now she's got tenure, some seniority and all that lovely union stuff.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

In all non-cheesy seriousness, giving up a successful career for at best a period of unemployment and several steps back on the ladder and at worst, no job, re-training and starting over, is a big step. It's one of the reasons why we probably wouldn't move back the other way. The Mrs, wouldn't want to start again at the bottom in the UK. Not now she's got tenure, some seniority and all that lovely union stuff.
I see what you are saying and it's a bit of a gamble. However we aren't on the NOC list so we (well hubby) has to get a job before we go. We are sensible and know what we need to move over. We aren't going to go over for a job that pays half what his current one does for example. We aren't in a rush so will wait for the right job if need be. Prepared to work hard to get it.

And before I get jumped on we are well aware of how difficult it is to get a job with an LMO.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Quite right, it takes some serious balls to want to do that. I suppose if it didnt work out quickly a sharpish return to the UK with limited career damage is always an option for the OP?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Quite right, it takes some serious balls to want to do that. I suppose if it didnt work out quickly a sharpish return to the UK with limited career damage is always an option for the OP?
Not sure if you are talking to me or the other guy.

Balls??? my hubby is known as the iron man. Do I need to say more?

(Me on the other hand worries about being worried!)
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

I see what you are saying and it's a bit of a gamble. However we aren't on the NOC list so we (well hubby) has to get a job before we go. We are sensible and know what we need to move over. We aren't going to go over for a job that pays half what his current one does for example. We aren't in a rush so will wait for the right job if need be. Prepared to work hard to get it.

And before I get jumped on we are well aware of how difficult it is to get a job with an LMO.
Ah. My comment is more aimed at the OP, the Primary School Head Teacher. YMMV.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah. My comment is more aimed at the OP, the Primary School Head Teacher. YMMV.
OK - I am coming out of this thread now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.