Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IEC Working Holiday Questions

IEC Working Holiday Questions

Old Jan 2nd 2019, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

a.d.murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC Working Holiday Questions

So I've entered into the pool for the IEC Working Holiday and I am currently waiting to see if luck is on my side. In the mean time, I want to gather up as much information as I can just in case I am one of the lucky few to get one.

My planned location for settlement is Vancouver ideally.

I'm going to break this down into sections as I have a few questions in different areas, and with search engines now being next to useless unless you're some guru with your terms I thought I'd ask in a place where people are able to share experiences.

Transport - Cars
I'm back and forth at the moment as to what to do about a car for getting around as opposed to public transport for longer distances.
Which is going to be a more sensible and viable option for the two years?
  1. Import my 2015 Focus Estate Diesel, confuse the dealers when I want a service and drive on UK plates? or
  2. Buy a second hand runabout and try and get insurance.
  3. Will I be able to drive a second hand car on my UK licence or will I need to get some kind of permit?
  4. What about insurance if I go for import, will UK cover this or will I need to be insured by a Canadian company?
Obviously I understand the risks involved with taking a UK car over, and understand it needs preparation before it goes. But £1800 to ship to Vancouver seems reasonable!

Jobs
My career path lies in IT, and I have 10 years experience working in support roles. The general feeling I'm getting is that I'd be better off waiting until I am actually on Canadian soil before trying to apply for jobs due to the fact I don't have a work permit, and I don't know how keen companies are on sponsoring? Also, being able to walk into companies and hand a resume over will probably benefit me?

Regarding pay, will I be able to open a Canadian bank account? Do they have a PAYE system like we do in the UK? Or will I have to fill out some kind of self assessment like I currently do for my self employed job along side my day to day employment?

What's the average amount of leave given? I've heard 14 days is a minimum after the first year plus bank holidays?

Health Insurance
My understanding is that because I am technically on holiday, things like my health and the potential to need a doctor would be charged to me and then claim off the compulsory travel insurance I need to have? I would not need to sign up for private healthcare?

Accommodation
Not too sure on this one. Initially I'm going to have to use some form of hotel/airbnb/hostel while I try and locate somewhere to live. Is renting pretty much the same as it is here in the UK? Find a landlord/real estate agent, sign an agreement pay a deposit?

Utilities - Again, is this a similar system to the UK? You call them up, or go online and sign up? I presume that more are government owned as opposed to privately run?

House sharing/renting a room seems to be quite cheap, and has bills included in some cases. I might use this as an option to save cash.

Any advice, links to other threads will all be greatly appreciated, and if there are any tips I might find handy I may have missed also would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andy
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Working Holiday Questions

Hey.

I wouldn’t bother shipping a car over- especially if you’re only on an IEC. I’d just buy a cheaper second hand car and get it insured. Easy enough to do. And if anything- it would generally cost more to insure an imported right hand drive car anyway.
Easy enough to get insured. And you can just switch your U.K. license for a BC license anyway (which you’ll legally have to do anyway). Assuming you’ve been driving for over 2 years you just switch a full license U.K. for a full license BC licence.

In terms of somewhere to live- so many places include utilities with rent. Especially if you’re house sharing it won’t be difficult to come across. So it’s definitely the easiest option.
Otherwise renting is no different to in the U.K. It certainly hasn’t been for us.

Here I’ve found it to be- pay tax as you earn (like PAYE) but then you still have to do a tax return at the end of each year- which personally I love because I feel like my tax is a lot lower than it was in the U.K. anyway, but then on top of that it costs me and my husband $100 for our accountant and he gets us several thousand back.
Oh- and I’m a retail manager (not the same I know) but I get 15 days a year vacation + public holidays.

Also once you’re in the country opening a bank account to be paid into is easy enough.

I would say most things for us process wise are exactly the same as in the U.K.

Good luck.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 10:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Cars need to be 15 years or older to be imported, other than from the US.
RH drive cars harder to get insured in Canada and more costly. ICBC do not like them. BC insurance rates will surprise you. If you want to claim no claims history, have docs in the format required by ICBC or you may get dinged the full premium. I pay $1800 for a small SUV, with 43% discount and Roadstar. My MC would be $5600 a year if I did not have the discount.
You would not be able to drive on UK plates, it would need to be registered in the province of residence.
You will need to get a provincial license to drive in your province of residence, max 3 months on a foreign license in BC. At present it is a straight swap, but that may change in the future.

Medical, after qualifying period you should be eligible for provincial health care. IEC travel insurance is mandatory as it provides repatriation.

Taxes are different, every tax payer has to file a tax return by April 30 for the preceding calendar year. June 15 for self employed. Interest income and investment income is not taxed at source. The tax return gathers all income together to determine if you owe more tax, if it's a wash, or you get a refund. For some reason folks get all excited about getting a tax refund. Getting their own money back, the interest free loan they just gave the govt!

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 2nd 2019 at 10:20 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize you would either have to take the vehicle back to the UK with you as the regulations state this

68. A temporarily imported vehicle cannot be sold, gifted or otherwise disposed of while in Canada, does not qualify for permanent importation and cannot remain in Canada longer than the time constraints listed on a persons’ work permit, student visa, or other CBSA entry documents. Now how this would be enforced if you just abandoned it is anyones guess.

Visitors

69. Vehicles may be admitted into Canada without complying with the MVSR when they are to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor for a period not exceeding 12 months; or temporary residents such as students studying at an institution, for the duration of their studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work permits/authorizations for employment for a period not exceeding 36 months.

70. Temporary residents and visa holders whose vehicle require licensing while in Canada, may submit a Vehicle Import Form – Form 1or a RIV e-Form 1 at the border.

IMHO its not worth bringing the vehicle with you once you have read this link

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-12-1-eng.html

You might be better off using transit for day to day or renting for longer trips. Insurance won't be cheap if you buy a beater or bring your own vehicle as it will need to be registered, you will need to swap over driving licences and then need to find an insurer who will accept your UK driving history which has to meet certain specifications as found in the link below

https://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving...residents.aspx

Main link for BC ICBC vehicles, insurance etc

https://www.icbc.com/Pages/default.aspx
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

a.d.murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you suzeandmatt. Great help there!

Former Lancastrian I was about to quote the temporary import stuff as that's what I was going on for the import in the first place. I guess part of me loves my car too much! In reality while it would be novel to drive a car they can't have over there, on further thought yes, it's not practical by any means with the shipping in and out and the hassle that creates.

On the other hand, insurance prices don't scare me. I hear about all these people paying £150 in the UK. I haven't seen shy of £800 even with 7 years no claims. When converted my current insurance for 15,000 miles SDPB is costing around $2000CAD already anyway so its no skin off my nose. My first car insurance back in 2008 cost me near on equivalent to $3000CAD as an 18 year old.

As you say it might even be cheaper to rent a car as and when I need it as being in Vancouver the transport system is pretty good anyway, and would be more of a consideration once I've got a job and settled down and know exactly how life is likely to pan out as my dream is by the end of the 2 years I should be in a position to qualify for PR provided all goes well.

The whole tax thing just sounds like filling out a self assessment almost tbh as I have to include both incomes on mine anyway.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

There's several car share options like EVO and Car2Go. I manage quite well without a car although our family has one. I can drive but almost never do. I use transit mostly.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 2nd 2019 at 11:28 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:45 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why Vancouver out of interest?

Yeah ICBC is expensive - with 10 years no claims (4 in Canada and 6 from the UK) my insurance is still $150 a month compared to my last year in the UK that was £200 pound for the year. I used to pay my insurance annually...not anymore.

Also your last section on renting. You might want to be aware that current vacancy rates in Vancouver in less then 1% (from 2018). A small 1 bedroom basement suite is anything from $700 - $1500 pm then a one bedroom downtown is anything above $1800 pm. It is expensive and there are a lot of slum lords that will try and cram as many people into a small 2 bedroom as possible.

If I had my time again, I would have chosen the east coast!
Old Jan 5th 2019, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Macmadden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

I was going to open a new thread but it ties in with this post.

My wife and I have applied for IEC, she is really worried that if she or I get picked the other one won't get picked but I'm sure I read somewhere that because we have been married for more than 1 year the other half can apply for an open work permit is this correct? And if so or not how easy is it to apply and get approved for the open work permit?

Thanks in advance guys really need to know to ease the concerns !

Scott.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macmadden
Hey guys,

I was going to open a new thread but it ties in with this post.

My wife and I have applied for IEC, she is really worried that if she or I get picked the other one won't get picked but I'm sure I read somewhere that because we have been married for more than 1 year the other half can apply for an open work permit is this correct? And if so or not how easy is it to apply and get approved for the open work permit?

Thanks in advance guys really need to know to ease the concerns !

Scott.
Being married for a year or more has nothing to do with it. Any spouse of a skilled worker on an IEC can get a work permit for the same duration. So, once you are there working, as long as it’s a skilled job then your wife (or vice versa, if she’s the IEC holder) can flagpole and get her own work permit.

HTH.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Macmadden is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Being married for a year or more has nothing to do with it. Any spouse of a skilled worker on an IEC can get a work permit for the same duration. So, once you are there working, as long as it’s a skilled job then your wife (or vice versa, if she’s the IEC holder) can flagpole and get her own work permit.

HTH.
Hey christmasoumpa,

thanks for the information big help!, I am a painter and decorator with experience of supervising and management, my wife is a health and safety consultant/manager I would expect this is under skilled workers surely? Also how does this work upon entry to Canada?

Thanks again !

Scott.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macmadden
Hey christmasoumpa,

thanks for the information big help!, I am a painter and decorator with experience of supervising and management, my wife is a health and safety consultant/manager I would expect this is under skilled workers surely? Also how does this work upon entry to Canada?

Thanks again !

Scott.
Can I suggest you start your own thread with any visa related questions in the immi section of the forum? I know that this is an IEC thread but your questions aren’t related to the OP’s, so to avoid taking his thread further off track it would be better to start your own.

Thx.