Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IEC resume template

IEC resume template

Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

rana1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC resume template

Hi just preparing for my IEC application. On the website it has a resume template. Can be found here:
Resume

Does it have to strictly be set out in this exact layout and order? Or can I just ensure all the information they ask for here is in the resume, but not in exactly that order? And also can I include extra sections such as a personal statement? Thanks.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC resume template

Originally Posted by rana1
Hi just preparing for my IEC application. On the website it has a resume template. Can be found here:
Resume

Does it have to strictly be set out in this exact layout and order? Or can I just ensure all the information they ask for here is in the resume, but not in exactly that order? And also can I include extra sections such as a personal statement? Thanks.
You can do it however you like, put whatever you like on it. The template shown is what Canadian employers expect though. A resume is merely a tool to get you an interview, it does not get you a job.

One page, max 2. We have had 12 page resumes come in, lost interest at the end of page 2.

Things that turn us off are: poor layout, grammatical and spelling errors, lots of irrelevant information, personal photos, personal statements that are pointless or generic, a one size fits all resume, not crafted specifically for the job with us.

Simple, personalised to the job, relevant and succinct.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

rana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
You can do it however you like, put whatever you like on it. The template shown is what Canadian employers expect though. A resume is merely a tool to get you an interview, it does not get you a job.

One page, max 2. We have had 12 page resumes come in, lost interest at the end of page 2.

Things that turn us off are: poor layout, grammatical and spelling errors, lots of irrelevant information, personal photos, personal statements that are pointless or generic, a one size fits all resume, not crafted specifically for the job with us.

Thanks for the info. The template is actually for the actual visa application. Do you know what they would expect?
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:45 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rana1
Thanks for the info. The template is actually for the actual visa application. Do you know what they would expect?
This is what is required for the IEC application. It's not difficult to create a resume in their format.

If you want a Canadian resume then look at the wiki links above - they should provide some information
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Could I just point out that Canada is a bilingual country.

Resume is what you do when you've had your toilet break after pausing your streaming TV programme.

A resumé is the local equivalent of a curriculum vita.

HTH.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:03 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Could I just point out that Canada is a bilingual country.

Resume is what you do when you've had your toilet break after pausing your streaming TV programme.

A resumé is the local equivalent of a curriculum vita.

HTH.
Funny because on the link the OP has posted it is spelt 'resume' and that is the official IEC page so guess what even the government doesn't care

update: only one area it say 'resume' however it us a 'curriculum Vitae' not 'vita'!

Last edited by beckiwoo; Oct 27th 2014 at 4:07 am.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

How does one personalize a resume to a job exactly? I rarely know where I am applying for example as the jobs are not posted generally and are just resumes that are dropped off or sent via email.

I find resumes difficult for the low end jobs, why Canada uses resumes for non-professional jobs, I will never understand.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

I used the standard template and it took me 5 minutes. Do not think of it as a job application but as just another form for the IEC. You do not need to use that resume format when you look for work in Canada. It is for CIC's benefit only.