IEC 2nd Year

Old Sep 5th 2012, 4:51 am
jrr
Just Joined

jrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC 2nd Year

Hi all,

Been following the forums for some time, but this is my first post.

I am driving to Niagara on Thursday to flagpole and get my 2nd year IEC visa. Now, I know there has been a lot of talk about this but I haven't really got a definitive answer. I would like to hear people's experiences who have flagpoled.

My question is: do I really need medical insurance? I have had a job here since last October and have had a letting agreement since last November. Surely I could just take documents relating these/bank statements to the border and show them, then renew my OHIP card when I get back?

If this is a definite no-no, could anyone recommend a site for medical insurance? I can't even remember who I bought from last year, but I do seem to remember it stating you couldn't purchase it if you were already outside Britain. I'm looking to buy the cheapest insurance around if I really do have to buy it.

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

snofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2nd Year

Originally Posted by jrr
Hi all,

Been following the forums for some time, but this is my first post.

I am driving to Niagara on Thursday to flagpole and get my 2nd year IEC visa. Now, I know there has been a lot of talk about this but I haven't really got a definitive answer. I would like to hear people's experiences who have flagpoled.

My question is: do I really need medical insurance? I have had a job here since last October and have had a letting agreement since last November. Surely I could just take documents relating these/bank statements to the border and show them, then renew my OHIP card when I get back?

If this is a definite no-no, could anyone recommend a site for medical insurance? I can't even remember who I bought from last year, but I do seem to remember it stating you couldn't purchase it if you were already outside Britain. I'm looking to buy the cheapest insurance around if I really do have to buy it.

Thanks for any help.
Hi,

There's a massive thread under immigration about the IEC http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700551 . In there, there's people's experiences of flagpoling and also what insurance companies people used, if you use the search at the top of the thread that will help you find it.

Good luck!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely need some type of medical insurance be it OHIP or other policy. When does your current TWP & OHIP expire? If they are still valid then flagpole before they expire.
This is what any insurance coverage should cover
What type of insurance must I subscribe to before leaving for Canada?

You must have and maintain insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Your insurance policy must cover you for:
•Health care, hospitalization and repatriation;
•The Canadian territory (the policy should specify North America, Canada/USA or worldwide);
•The entire duration of your stay in Canada

You must be able to provide proof of this insurance to the Immigration Officer upon your entry to Canada. To learn more about different insurance options, please consult. Please note that the High Commission of Canada to the UK does not have the mandate of providing a list of insurers.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:26 pm
jrr
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snofairy
Hi,

There's a massive thread under immigration about the IEC http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700551 . In there, there's people's experiences of flagpoling and also what insurance companies people used, if you use the search at the top of the thread that will help you find it.

Good luck!
Hi,

Like I said, I've been following the site, and have read a lot of that thread, but couldn't really find a definitive answer. Though I did stop reading a few months ago. So I guess I'll have another look, and if not I'll repost my question in there
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrr
Hi,

Like I said, I've been following the site, and have read a lot of that thread, but couldn't really find a definitive answer. Though I did stop reading a few months ago. So I guess I'll have another look, and if not I'll repost my question in there
Or you could read my answer in post 3
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:11 pm
jrr
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or you could read my answer in post 3
Hah cheers for your answer. My visa expires on the 6th and I'm going on the 6th, so there's going to be no overlap. I just find it a bit ridiculous that I have to shell out for this insurance when I can just renew my OHIP card when I return. Hopefully I can find some insurance which I can cancel when I get my new card
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jrr
Hah cheers for your answer. My visa expires on the 6th and I'm going on the 6th, so there's going to be no overlap. I just find it a bit ridiculous that I have to shell out for this insurance when I can just renew my OHIP card when I return. Hopefully I can find some insurance which I can cancel when I get my new card
But does OHIP cover repatriation back to the UK?
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:22 pm
jrr
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
But does OHIP cover repatriation back to the UK?
Good point...
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:25 pm
jrr
Just Joined

Last year I went with ACE, but now I've noticed that they are only for residents of Ireland. I had a look through the huge IEC thread but couldn't find anything suitable for flagpoling. Does anyone have any recommendations? As cheap as possible please
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

lbob is an unknown quantity at this point

JRR- just wondering what the outcome to your situation here was? I am in the same boat as you, in that I will be flagpoling next month and need to get insurance so I can get back into Canada, but would ideally like to get a policy that I could cancel after 3 months when I can get OHIP to save on costs, or just a low cost 12 months policy.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 10:14 pm
jrr
Just Joined

I decided not to bother to buy any insurance and risk it (rent is expensive here, couldn't afford that unnecessary cost too!) So here's what happened...

Me and my housemate went to the border at Rainbow Bridge Niagara at around 10.30pm on the day our visas were to expire. We paid the 50 cents to cross the bridge, but wondered what the point in going over to the American side was, so we turned around and came straight back through. I went to the desk, handed my passport over, was asked a few questions (age, height, phone number, where I am staying). I was not asked for insurance/OHIP at all. In fact, the only thing I was asked for documentation-wise by the border control officer was what I had in a folder I was carrying, I said I had a letter for my visa renewal, but they didn't even ask to see that. Took about 5-10 minutes and I was back in; new work permit in my passport.

My housemate on the other hand, who wasn't renewing his IEC visa, he just wanted to stay on for another month as a tourist, was a different story. First they sent him to the American side to get a rejection letter. He then came back and had the same officer as I had, who gave him a hard time and said he needed medical insurance, proof of funds and a return plane ticket, the last of which he had. So he was sent back into Canada on his current visa, he purchased travel insurance and we had to scrabble around to get some cash together between us (they didn't make it clear how much, said it depends on the border officer - we got about $1500 for his stay of about a month). When he went back he had to go to get another rejection letter, followed by a lot more questioning by the border control officer. This time they asked to see his return plane ticket, but no insurance/proof of funds! He finally made it through about 10 minutes past midnight, (meaning his previous visa had expired), so we went out in Niagara and got very drunk to celebrate!

So I guess the moral to this story is don't leave it until the last minute, as if you don't you'll have plenty of time to go back into Canada and sort your medical insurance then - should you showing them your still in-date OHIP card not work, of course. Beyond that it seems to me to be entirely up to the border control officer you get as to what else you'll need to do (USA rejection letters etc.) Only reason I can think of I didn't have to get a rejection letter is that I had a (long since expired) green card attached in my passport.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 3:33 am
Just Joined

lbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks JRR, thanks for telling me your experience...I don't think I'm brave enough to head to the border without insurance though, so think I'm going to have to suck it up and pay!! thanks again though :-)
Old Oct 12th 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lbob
Thanks JRR, thanks for telling me your experience...I don't think I'm brave enough to head to the border without insurance though, so think I'm going to have to suck it up and pay!! thanks again though :-)
Going to leave you a link to the thread I started about the exact same subject: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711881 because I know it's sometimes hard to dig through information using the search button.

Basically, I wasn't asked. Definitely recommend going before your visa expires, trying, should be succesful, if not have a plan to buy insurance
Old Oct 12th 2012, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some advice you may want to take into consideration if applying for a 1st or 2nd year IEC.
Insurance coverage is MANDATORY. True you might not be asked for it but if you are and you dont have it then the BSO can refuse you issuance of the work permit.
Basically if you come through my POE and you dont have insurance coverage as per the IEC then you wont be issued a work permit. I would defer your exam until you got it and provided proof of coverage that is required under the IEC.

You must have and maintain insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Your insurance policy must cover you for:
•Health care, hospitalization and repatriation;
•The Canadian territory (the policy should specify North America, Canada/USA or worldwide);
•The entire duration of your stay in Canada

Most provincial health coverage plans DONT include repatriation back to the UK so that could become a sticking point.
Your choice if you elect not to be covered and risk showing up without it.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 2:00 pm
jrr
Just Joined

I know that it being mandatory to have health insurance may be stated elsewhere, but my decision not to get it was from what was stated on the IEC acceptance/welcome letter. The only reference to healthcare was the following:

"In some provinces or territories, students and foreign workers are not eligible for public health insurance. You
must ensure that you and any dependants have adequate health-care insurance or financial resources to cover
possible contingencies. Further information is available from the ministry of health of the province or territory in
which you intend to study or work."

As I was covered by OHIP (Ontario) at the time, I took this as being fine. But that's just my interpretation of it, and, like I said, it will depend on the border officer you get. I'm sure the worst that would happen would be you'd be sent back into Canada to purchase travel insurance.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend first years coming to Ontario not purchasing travel insurance, as you cannot obtain OHIP until you have been working for 3 months, if I recall correctly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.