British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ideas please for must see places in Nova Scotia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ideas-please-must-see-places-nova-scotia-308760/)

shell&jim Jun 15th 2005 4:01 pm

Ideas please for must see places in Nova Scotia

My husband and I, along with our 2 children, are applying for permanent residence in Canada (the forms are nearly ready to send) using the skilled worker class.

We like the look of Nova Scotia and have booked a holiday there in September to have a look around. We land at Halifax on 20th Sept and spend 3 nights there before picking up a motor home, which we will have for 18 days and plan to travel around Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

Can anyone suggest some must see places or events. Also anything that might help us get a feel for the job market, schools and general lifestyle.

Corky Jun 15th 2005 4:10 pm

Re: Ideas please for must see places in Nova Scotia

Well now that is a hard question with an easy answer. You will have enough time to see everything. Pick up your motorhome and just drive all around each province. You may not want to waste time on Northern New Brunswick cause there really isn't alot to see there, It is a good time of year and you will see lots of great scenery. What are you interested in seeing while on this trip...? You will also enjoy all of Prince Edward Island...don't for get Anne Of Green Gables!

shell&jim Jun 15th 2005 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Corky
Well now that is a hard question with an easy answer. You will have enough time to see everything. Pick up your motorhome and just drive all around each province. You may not want to waste time on Northern New Brunswick cause there really isn't alot to see there, It is a good time of year and you will see lots of great scenery. What are you interested in seeing while on this trip...? You will also enjoy all of Prince Edward Island...don't for get Anne Of Green Gables!

Thank you for your reply. We do not have any set ideas about what we want to see as yet. We want to get a feel of the place and see if it is somewhere we could live. The only thing my husband would like to do is eat lobster!

What are the Fall's like in Nova Scotia? Are the tree's colourful? We spent our honeymoon in New England in the Fall and loved it.

What sort of weather can we expect in September and October?

BH PNP Jun 15th 2005 5:08 pm

Hi

Try

www.novascotia.com

this has all the festivals and events as well as trip planning.

Enjoy

Brian

Corky Jun 15th 2005 6:31 pm

The falls in the Maritimes are really lovely, my favorite time of the year. You may get cool nights and warm days. I don't think lobster will be in season then but it is still available and In PEI you will find all the lobster supper places along the road so your hubsand will definetly get his lobster.
you will find the maritimes are alot like the New England States..lots of colourful leaves.

bazza2154 Jun 15th 2005 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by shell&jim
My husband and I, along with our 2 children, are applying for permanent residence in Canada (the forms are nearly ready to send) using the skilled worker class.

We like the look of Nova Scotia and have booked a holiday there in September to have a look around. We land at Halifax on 20th Sept and spend 3 nights there before picking up a motor home, which we will have for 18 days and plan to travel around Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

Can anyone suggest some must see places or events. Also anything that might help us get a feel for the job market, schools and general lifestyle.

We are visiting Nova Scotia in September as well fly into Halifax on the 8th for two weeks. We looked at the motor home option but decided as we have our heart set on buying a B&B we should stay in some. Our plabs to date.

1 night in Halifax
1 night in Lunburg
3 nights in Annapolis
ferry to Saint John
3 nights in Saint John
drive back via Monkton 3 nights to windsor and then Halifax for 2 nights
we want to do PEI if time permits.

We are AOR March 05 so long wait yet

Bazza

louisbourg Jun 15th 2005 7:09 pm

oooooooooo come see our new house :D ( preferably with a paint brush in hand ............. meals will be supplied ) :D
we will be over july till october getting it all ship shape :eek:

oh and the fortress of louisbourg is awsome :) my cousin works there so i have to give it a mention ;)
also there are bed and breakfasts there at the moment for sale !!!!!

only a small quiet place though depends what your looking for ???
have a great trip , your deffinately coming to the right place

regards
sharon

ian-mstm Jun 15th 2005 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by shell&jim
We do not have any set ideas about what we want to see as yet. We want to get a feel of the place and see if it is somewhere we could live. The only thing my husband would like to do is eat lobster!

Of all the places that I've lived, Nova Scotia is top of my list. I lived in Dartmouth for 2 years and worked in Halifax. There are many, many places where you can enjoy lobster and other seafoods... too many to mention. Some must see/do places include the Citadel in Halifax, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove, the shipbuilding yards in Lunenburg, the amazing tides in Parrsboro, and Wheel Pizza in Antigonish. If you have a chance try a day or two on the Cabot Trail on the north shore of Cape Breton Island. You can take a ferry or you can drive over from New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island to see the "Anne of Green Gables" delights in Cavendish and North Rustico. I can't say much about New Brunswick as I only ever drove through it and never really stopped anywhere, but unless you speak French (or you enjoy a challenge) you may want to avoid places north of a line connecting Newcastle, NB and Houlton, Maine.

Ian

liftman Jun 15th 2005 8:36 pm

We will be there too from the 22nd September to the 7th October.

If you are in Halifax on the 23rd, You need to see the first Mooseheads ice hockey home game of the new season at the Metro centre.

We were there for the game last year, and it was great fun, especially as what I am used to is Torquay United!!!

Peggys Cove is cute, but this year what I really want to see is the big tides on the Bay of Fundy.

We are also going gold panning!

Get the Doers and Dreamers guide book ( available from www.novascotia.com )
it lists loads of B&B's, hotels and attractions. really good.

Enjoy yourself, and make sure your first stop is the Tim Hortons just outside the airport for Timbits and Hot Chocolate!

woodworm Jun 15th 2005 10:25 pm

I have just returned from a 2-week trip through Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. My favorites were:
1) Charlottetown, PEI - absolutely cute little city, I wouldn't mind living there if I found a job
2) Hopewell Rocks and Fundy National Park, New Brunswick - I didn't think much of Fredericton and Moncton though
3) Cabot Trail and Louisbourg, Nova Scotia