Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Idea of Cost to Build 2500sqft Home Around Calgary?

Idea of Cost to Build 2500sqft Home Around Calgary?

Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Idea of Cost to Build 2500sqft Home Around Calgary?

Originally Posted by Roos here
Minimum parcel size for a "country dwelling" (i forget the actual term in the development plans) for both Md foothills and Rockyview is 2ac. as others have said there are minimum house sizes and also maximum number of buildings per plot.....
That's interesting to hear. Would that mean it would be straightforward to split up a 4ac lot into 2, sell 1 to re-coup some funds then build on the 2ac lot you have left? 2ac would be plenty! If that then only cost $125K ($250K/2) for the land, then a 2000sqft home @ $175/sqft is $350K, that's a total of $475K for a 2000sqft home on a 2ac lot!

That sounds very appealing to me for the future!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bainesy36
That's interesting to hear. Would that mean it would be straightforward to split up a 4ac lot into 2, sell 1 to re-coup some funds then build on the 2ac lot you have left? 2ac would be plenty! If that then only cost $125K ($250K/2) for the land, then a 2000sqft home @ $175/sqft is $350K, that's a total of $475K for a 2000sqft home on a 2ac lot!

You can only subdivide plots if the local zoning permits it. In my neck of the woods the city can ask you to ensure all services/access to the plot are put in place as a condition of sub-division. You've also got to consider all the administrative costs of applying for subdivision too. They're not insubstantial.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:03 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bainesy36

If the property has already been sub-divided, it is often very hard to get is divided again.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Something was telling me it wouldn't be quite that straightforward.