ICBC trouble

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:19 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICBC trouble

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
I know this will not affect me, but just so I know what is ICBC?
The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia is a provincial Crown corporation established in 1973 to provide universal auto insurance to B.C. motorists.

We're also responsible for driver licensing, and vehicle licensing and registration.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:32 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Thanks,

plan to move to BC in about 10 years, so I will need to know.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by agr
Loads of competition in US health insurance - but I doubt you would find any evidence of competence or efficiency as a result. Nice theory though.
Bit of a strawman argument don't you think? Shouldn't we be comparing like with like? How about comparing BC ferries then? You think the absence of serious competition is an incentive to reduce costs? Medical insurance in the US is a rip off maybe, but the treatment I have had in the US was far better than the joys of the NHS.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

plan to move to BC in about 10 years, so I will need to know.
In that case start driving very carefully. With full no claims most vehicles are in the $1,400 - $1,500 a year range with reasonable optional insurance. Have an accident or two and it starts getting very expensive very quickly.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
There's competition in other provinces, and anecdotal evidence on this forum doesn't suggest premiums are any lower elsewhere.

Really? As a fresh off the plane immigrant, I was able to insure two vehicles for $1,500 ish. Would that be possible in B.C.?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:03 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Really? As a fresh off the plane immigrant, I was able to insure two vehicles for $1,500 ish. Would that be possible in B.C.?
My first premium in BC was a fraction over $1,000 in '05
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:58 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was $1400 with 43% discount.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:37 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In that case start driving very carefully. With full no claims most vehicles are in the $1,400 - $1,500 a year range with reasonable optional insurance. Have an accident or two and it starts getting very expensive very quickly.
Would it still be that high considering I will have lived for about 18 years in Alberta, and 'touch wood' no accidents?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:52 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Selsame
Bit of a strawman argument don't you think? Shouldn't we be comparing like with like? How about comparing BC ferries then? You think the absence of serious competition is an incentive to reduce costs? Medical insurance in the US is a rip off maybe, but the treatment I have had in the US was far better than the joys of the NHS.
Quasi-compulsory north american health insurance is a lot closer to quasi-compulsory north american car insurance than a ferry operation is. I didn't suggest that absence of competition reduces costs - my point was that the existence of competition doesn't necessarily reduce costs. American healthcare may be medically proficient, but the parasitic insurance industry that comes with it is anything but cheap. Treatment quality would only be relevant in this analogy if the OP was complaining about car repairers rather than the insurer.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

My son is 17 and his recent renewal for 1 year was $1535. Not bad for such an age with a standard transmission 2 door coupe 2.4ltr engine.

My dodge truck on the other hand was $1750 and that was for me with 40% no claims!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Which insurance company was that?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
Which insurance company was that?
ING/Intact or whatever it is now called.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by R I C H
My first premium in BC was a fraction over $1,000 in '05
Originally Posted by The Aviator
Mine was $1400 with 43% discount.
Originally Posted by printer
My son is 17 and his recent renewal for 1 year was $1535. Not bad for such an age with a standard transmission 2 door coupe 2.4ltr engine.

My dodge truck on the other hand was $1750 and that was for me with 40% no claims!!!!
So why are there such large variations? As they are all ICBC and, one would assume, you all live in similar neighbourhoods, I would have thought that they would be closer in price.

I know that Printer's was for a single vehicle, what about the other two?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Would it still be that high considering I will have lived for about 18 years in Alberta, and 'touch wood' no accidents?
You would qualify for the maximum discount which is 43% provided you have proof of your driving record in a form that ICBC will accept.

Each year you must buy basic insurance and a vehicle license from ICBC. There are variations depending on where you live and what you use the vehicle for, but expect something around $900 if you live in a city.

Most people buy additional insurance: fire and theft, collision and extended third-party liability. ICBC sell this but you also have the choice of several private insurers. Typically, for someone with a good driving history these additional insurances are going to cost $600-$700 from ICBC and $400 to $500 from a private insurer.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:50 pm
Pea Brain

So why are there such large variations? As they are all ICBC and, one would assume, you all live in similar neighbourhoods, I would have thought that they would be closer in price.

I know that Printer's was for a single vehicle, what about the other two?
Why assume we live in similar neighbourhoods? I'm sure car crime/traffic volume is lower in Kamloops than urban Vancouver, and I live just outside of city limits which means a rural environment. Garaging, driver age, commute distance, limitations of use by other drivers etc all affect premiums.

My price was for a single vehicle ('01 GMC Sierra). I now pay $1,250 for a '10 Impreza WRX and $1,200 for an '07 Ford F150

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.