Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ICBC car insurance quote - OMG

ICBC car insurance quote - OMG

Old Jul 9th 2016, 8:43 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICBC car insurance quote - OMG

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Basic insurance is the minimum insurance you need to drive. It covers:
  • $200,000 third party liability
  • $150,000 medical expenses for self and passengers
  • Coverage if the accident is another driver's fault and they are not insured
  • $200,000 losses as a result of a hit and run
  • Coverage if an accident occurs in a jurisdiction where you are prevented from claiming from the person responsible

It is woefully inadequate unless your vehicle is worth nothing and you are prepared to make yourself bankrupt in the event of an at-fault accident.
Great to know thanks.

that's pitiful too be honest.

I really miss compare the market.com and other price comparison sites in the UK. it was so much easier
Old Jul 9th 2016, 9:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You buy basic insurance from an Autoplan broker. They are ICBC agents so they can only offer ICBC optional insurance. The three companies I can think of that provide alternate optional insurance are Canadian Direct, Coast Capital and BCAA. You will have to contact them directly.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 9:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Thanks.

So of I go through the broker they wiLL give me the cost of the compulsory coverage with icbc and then will find me the best price for the extras?
You should look at the conditions for private insurance. It requires 10 years driving experience and I believe specifies 10 years North American. We do our ICBC and private through an Autopan broker. For private on the car we use 'Family' Often private is not a lot cheaper than ICBC for a car, you just get more for the money.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

nicolasmith is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay 1400 a year for a 2013 dodge caravan.... And I thought that was extortionate!! Be careful when exchanging your uk licence too. Get proof from DVLA of your what you are licensed to drive before you leave. We have just had our motorcycle licence revoked due to Uk changing categories in 2013 and ICBC say they may have given us class 6 category in error. We contacted DVLA and as our uk licence no longer exists we are unable to prove that we did and are entitled to ride a motorcycle! There are a lot more hurdles over here, but it is what it is I suppose so if you can come here understanding that everything is going to be different you should get along just fine..... Good luck 😉
My apologies if I posted something not quite relating to your initial 'blog'
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Nicola there's a recent thread about ICBC and the motorcycle thing and what people have done to resolve the issue. I can't post the link because I'm on my phone.

S
Old Jul 10th 2016, 12:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Nicola there's a recent thread about ICBC and the motorcycle thing and what people have done to resolve the issue. I can't post the link because I'm on my phone.

S
I can, because I am stuck at home on my one day off a week

Here you go..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...icence-880013/

Old Jul 10th 2016, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I can, because I am stuck at home on my one day off a week

Here you go..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...icence-880013/

Thank you.... I'll check it out!! 😊
Old Jul 10th 2016, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560

S
Thank you.... I'll check it out!! Knew someone must know something 😊
Old Jul 10th 2016, 3:17 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how long one has not had a m/c license, ICBC do make some folks do a MST/MSA and road test.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 4:38 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You should look at the conditions for private insurance. It requires 10 years driving experience and I believe specifies 10 years North American. We do our ICBC and private through an Autopan broker. For private on the car we use 'Family' Often private is not a lot cheaper than ICBC for a car, you just get more for the money.
OK so that means as I don't have 10 years driving history, all of my extras will have to be through ICBC?

I'm getting my letters checked tomorrow at an auto plan place. Any that don't fulfill ICBC requirements then I'm writing back to the insurance company to get them to amend the letter.

I honestly think none of them will be accepted as most say 'Miss R (surname) instead of my full name
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
OK so that means as I don't have 10 years driving history, all of my extras will have to be through ICBC?
All the ones I deal with do have this requirement. Ask you broker what they can offer. Read the terms of the policy carefully.

I'm getting my letters checked tomorrow at an auto plan place. Any that don't fulfill ICBC requirements then I'm writing back to the insurance company to get them to amend the letter.
The broker can give you the discount on the letters, but you won' know for sure until ICBC have received and reviewed them. Can take a few months.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if you saw this or not - Car Insurance in BC : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:26 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Don't know if you saw this or not - Car Insurance in BC : British Expat Wiki

Thanks. Some of the links don't work but I know where to find the template that icbc want. The thing is I sent my uk insurance companies an email and a copy of the template and explained ICBC needed this information.

I don't think any of them did what I asked but at the time I was so busy with preparing to move that I put it on a backburner until now.

I think it's going to require more emails and possibly a few phone calls to get this sorted
Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Hi

I honestly think none of them will be accepted as most say 'Miss R (surname) instead of my full name[/QUOTE]

I had the exact same problem with names. They would not accept anything but the full title which shows on your passport (or whatever valid ID you provided). I have always been known by my middle name so none of my UK insurance letters included the full name. You have to send them the amended documents with a $20 admin fee. I also had to include my marriage certificate for proof of change of name.
It did work but did take 6 months
Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:58 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
You have to send them the amended documents with a $20 admin fee.
What do you mean amended documents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.