Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I want my iPhone!

I want my iPhone!

Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:03 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I want my iPhone!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh good grief, poor quality and expensive telephone service is a fundamental feature of Canada, it's like cheap petrol and dismal television. If it's important to you to have a nice phone go to the US or to Europe.
Hang on I need to pick myself up off the floor again here, I actually AGREE with dbd here!! Everyone calm down Im sure its a once in a lifetime occasion but yes he is right!!!

Did I really say that??
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...one_rates.html
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:51 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Rogers have buckled - they're now going to offer a $30 tariff... Still a 3 year contract of course
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

So a comedy moment occured when I went into a Rogers store in NS to ask for a SIM card for my English unlocked Iphone that I brought with me. He actually whispered, looking haunted, that he couldn't sell me one and he couldn't even talk about the Iphone.

Eh? says I - well he said I will lose my job if I am caught talking about putting a SIM in a non Canadian Iphone. So I said just tell me what I need to buy so it will work and I will buy it another time. Oh I can't he said, I'll get fired.\\

So I said Is there someone under your desk? to which he totally missed the humour and said no, but I can't talk about Iphone's.

Just want a bleeding SIM card so my phone will work, can anyone in BE enlighten me as to what I need to get the bugger working?!

Ta
Rachel
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:31 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just order a sim off ebay?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Just order a sim off ebay?
And don't use any data functions until you've set up a data plan, it will bankrupt you otherwise. Seriously
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:46 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
So a comedy moment occured when I went into a Rogers store in NS to ask for a SIM card for my English unlocked Iphone that I brought with me. He actually whispered, looking haunted, that he couldn't sell me one and he couldn't even talk about the Iphone.

Eh? says I - well he said I will lose my job if I am caught talking about putting a SIM in a non Canadian Iphone. So I said just tell me what I need to buy so it will work and I will buy it another time. Oh I can't he said, I'll get fired.\\

So I said Is there someone under your desk? to which he totally missed the humour and said no, but I can't talk about Iphone's.

Just want a bleeding SIM card so my phone will work, can anyone in BE enlighten me as to what I need to get the bugger working?!

Ta
Rachel

It was reported on last nights news that Apple were unhappy with the airtime plans that Roger's wanted to sell with the iPhone, and have decided not to supply Roger's outlets with iPhones. That's maybe why you were unable to get a SIM card from them.

Here's the story:

Updated: Apple Will Not Sell iPhone 3G In Its Canadian Stores In Protest Of High Service Fees

By Tricia Duryee - Tue 08 Jul 2008 09:55 AM PST

This isn’t exactly the biggest protest that Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) could have waged against Rogers Wireless, but it’s getting a ton of attention. Reports today are claiming that the iPhone-maker will refuse to sell the new 3G version of the phone in Apple retail stores on Friday because it is protesting the higher-than-average service plans for the device that Rogers intends to charge. AppleInsider.com reports that “Apple, disgusted with Rogers Wireless for dumping egregious service plans on would-be iPhone 3G buyers, has decided that its Canadian retail stores will have no part in helping the carrier market the new handset to customers.” AppleInsider said it got this information during a late phone call with Apple last night; representatives from Rogers have not yet responded to emails seeking comment. As an example of the plans Rogers has set for the iPhone 3G, it will require customers of its Fido division to sign a 3-year contract, and require a minimum payment of $60 for only 150 minutes, 75 outgoing text-messages, and 400 megabytes of data. Initially, AppleInsider said as punishment Apple diverted a shipment of iPhones from Canada to Europe as retribution. This seems like a more solid approach, however, Apple is in this business to sell phones, and wants to do so in as many countries as possible. Although a full withdrawal may be more successful, it is unlikely.

UPDATE: So, it turns out that Apple may not be holding out on Rogers. CNet reports that the Apple isn’t selling the iPhone at many of its retail stores outside the U.S. So, it’s not just Canada, but also the U.K., Italy, Australia and Japan. In those countries, customers will have to rely on Apple’s carrier partners to purchase the iPhone 3G on Friday.

http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-ap...otest-of-high/

Last edited by R I C H; Jul 9th 2008 at 7:48 pm.