Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I want my iPhone!

I want my iPhone!

Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:53 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default I want my iPhone!

You may or may not have read, Ted Rogers has announced his tariffs for Apple's iPhone. They're roughly 2x that of the US and much more expensive than O2's.

Canadians are mobilising against Rogers - there's an online petition that been created with 23 816 signatures so far. If you want your iPhone at a fair rate, you may want to sign:

http://ruinediphone.com/
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want my iPhone!

Originally Posted by Canada2006
You may or may not have read, Ted Rogers has announced his tariffs for Apple's iPhone. They're roughly 2x that of the US and much more expensive than O2's.

Canadians are mobilising against Rogers - there's an online petition that been created with 23 816 signatures so far. If you want your iPhone at a fair rate, you may want to sign:

Oh good grief, poor quality and expensive telephone service is a fundamental feature of Canada, it's like cheap petrol and dismal television. If it's important to you to have a nice phone go to the US or to Europe.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Does that link work or is my Rogers (capped) hi speed internet blocking it? Its no surprise that rogers did this, I have now completely given up on the idea on a rogers fueled iphone, and will be keeping my HTC 730 and just bought a touch for the iphone experience. As sweet as the web surfing is on the touch on wifi its still dog slow, so god knows what the 3g iphone will be like on the rogers network!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006

Ted Roger's.... didn't he do 3-2-1 with Dusty Bin in the 70's ?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

Seems the site is back up and running. It has managed to create a lot of media interest an Rogers look like they may start to do a little bactracking.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:53 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

So 150 minutes, 75 text messages and 400mb data for $60 a month? Doesn't seem to extreme to me. The UK package for the same price has half the minutes, and while yes it has unlimited data the Rogers charge doesn't seem hideously expensive to me.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drwoodsy
Seems the site is back up and running. It has managed to create a lot of media interest an Rogers look like they may start to do a little bactracking.
No, definitely "censored"....

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at ruinediphone.com Port 80
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geedee
No, definitely "censored"....

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at ruinediphone.com Port 80
Works for me.

Is Rogers you internet provider?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Works for me.

Is Rogers you internet provider?
No, Bell.....
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
So 150 minutes, 75 text messages and 400mb data for $60 a month? Doesn't seem to extreme to me. The UK package for the same price has half the minutes, and while yes it has unlimited data the Rogers charge doesn't seem hideously expensive to me.
Don't forget the monthly system access fee, and I suppose voicemail, caller ID and whatever other extras are chargeable. Plus tax. The extra usage charge per MB is steep. And although there may be twice as many minutes as the UK plan, you need 'em since you're using them to be called

I don't think it's good value at all, I'll keep using my pretendy one for free wi-fi
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:36 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Caller ID etc is another $15 a month
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Cheapest UK will £35 per/month which is about $70. Even with the tax and that it can't be that bad can it?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:05 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Cheapest UK will £35 per/month which is about $70. Even with the tax and that it can't be that bad can it?
The cheapest iPhone plan on Rogers is $60, but this is Canada, so you have to add $6.95 "system access fee" and $0.50 for 911. Call display (optional, but come on...) is an extra $7. So the $60 plan is $74.45 before tax. With Ontario tax, it's $84.13.

It's not a terrible plan by Canadian standards, but I can see why people are underwhelmed.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by bodgerx
The 02 plan at £35 includes 600 minutes, 500 texts and unlimited data. The Rogers rate at $60 (over $80 with fees and taxes) has 150 minutes, 75 text messages and a cap of 400mb of data plus you get charged for receiving calls.

So the 02 rate looks about 400% better than Rogers!!:curse:
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:38 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/WBcyberia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.