Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I want to keep UK License

I want to keep UK License

Old May 24th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default I want to keep UK License

I am aware that you can exchange your UK license. However, I am not too keen for them to take this away! Does anyone know if you can just sit the driving test in Ontario and keep your UK license? Plus, anyone that may have done the test, is it quite easy? I have been driving in the UK for about 9 years and sure I have picked up bad habits!
Old May 24th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I want to keep UK License

Hello,

For info, the UK driving licence is not valide after 12 month out of the country. So even if you want to keep it, it won't have an value.
And if you were to came back to UK afterward, you could still exchange it for no fees at the DVL.

Stefke
Old May 24th 2009, 10:59 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

you could always

Hand in the plastic picture card to swap
keep the paper part you'll need it for the next step
Ask the DVLC to replace a lost picture card

I suggest using a relative as a UK address as well

Having said that it much easier if you accidentally lose the picture card before you leave

But you wouldn't even think of doing such a thing
Old May 25th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
I am aware that you can exchange your UK license. However, I am not too keen for them to take this away! Does anyone know if you can just sit the driving test in Ontario and keep your UK license?
There is no test to be taken in Ontario - it's a straight swap. They test your eyesight (by machine, at the counter) and take your photo, take your UK license and take C$75 from you...that's all.

Even when you have surrendered your UK license, it's no big deal. Your entitlement to drive in the UK remains until your 70th birthday, so your license can be replaced at any time without being retested...barring any legislative changes, naturally!
Old May 25th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Having said that it much easier if you accidentally lose the picture card before you leave

Hi
such things never crossed our minds either,but it is a hectic time getting ready for a move and things do get lost...
cheers
Jerry
Old May 25th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
you could always

Hand in the plastic picture card to swap
keep the paper part you'll need it for the next step
Ask the DVLC to replace a lost picture card

I suggest using a relative as a UK address as well

Don't they send your picture card back to the UK.

Would make you look bad perhaps if you request a new card because you lost it and your card turns up with an explanation of where you 'lost' it!
Old May 25th 2009, 2:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StefkeUK
Hello,

For info, the UK driving licence is not valide after 12 month out of the country.

And the source of that information is ... ?
Old May 25th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

At least keep a copy just in case you ever need to go back. If you should ever need to swap it back for a UK license you will need proof that you passed a maual driving test otherwise you will get an automatic only license. recent consumer programs (Watchdog) in the UK have shown that the DVLA will probably loose any record of you ever having had a license.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I never had my UK license taken away when I got my BC drivers license.... I have both. Maybe different in different provinces
Old May 25th 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

This is interesting.

Whenever I move to Toronto it will be a trail basis for a couple of years.
I want to keep my British driving licence, I will still have a UK address.

Is it possible if I take the Canadian driving test so have one does not have to hand in their British driving licence ?
Old May 25th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
I never had my UK license taken away when I got my BC drivers license.... I have both. Maybe different in different provinces
Probably because as I understand it you have to retake the test in BC whereas in Alberta and Ontario you simply exchange your license.

If I had to take a BC test I would be rather peeved that the DVLA will simply exchange any Candian license rthaer than just those from provinces which will exchange a UK license.

Last edited by Posidrive; May 25th 2009 at 5:10 pm. Reason: One day I will learn to type
Old May 25th 2009, 5:11 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Probably because as I understand it you have to retake the test in BC whereas in Alberta and Ontario you simply exchange your license.

If I had to take a BC test I would be rather peeved that the DVLA will simply exchange any Candian license rthaer than just those from provinces which willexchnage a UK license.
More to do with licencing offices not always interpreting or carrying out the rules consistently.

By law you should hand over your UK licence when you gain a BC one. In reality sometimes the request isn't made.
Old May 25th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
More to do with licencing offices not always interpreting or carrying out the rules consistently.

By law you should hand over your UK licence when you gain a BC one. In reality sometimes the request isn't made.
Hi
both my wife & i took the BC test, they took the UK photocard off us on the day of the practical test and then gave the UK photocard back when we passed the test, we have both BC and UK licence.

Of interest to those coming to BC ...( don't know about other provinces )
unless your licence has been issued in the previous 60 days, the driving licence history, is not acceptable, ( basically you have no record )

anything issued over the 60 days ago needs a drivers extract fron DVLA, issued in the previous 60 days ( even if you haven't been out of canada )

This I was not aware of until about 2 months ago, so unknowingly I didn't prove a clean driving record, when I applied for car insurance 2 yrs ago.
cheers
Jerry
Old May 26th 2009, 2:35 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H

ooh they never asked for mine!!
Old May 26th 2009, 3:01 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

For peace of mind before you leave the UK you can order your driving licence file from the DVLA for a fairly smallish fee. Its basically a printout showing all your licence details, how long you held it, any endorsements, etc.

While it doesn't perform the function of a driving licence it serves as paper proof that you have a UK licence for the future should you need it.

Its no. 2 here:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/foi/dataprtc.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.