Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I wanna stay in BC

Wikiposts

I wanna stay in BC

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

ANGELA YOUNG will become famous soon enoughANGELA YOUNG will become famous soon enough
Default I wanna stay in BC

Hi everyone, i am always reading all your posts, some make laugh some reduce me to tears.Am more of a listener than a talker, but just wanted a chat really. Me my OH and two dogs arrived in Kamloops BC Oct 2008. OH had a LMO and 3 year WP - me well i have SOWP.We love living in Canada but due to the economic climate affecting the construction trade, his work has been sporadic since we arrived. After applying for more than 20 jobs as a Carpenter, he still cant find an employer thats willing to wait on another Lmo and WP coming through.I just don't want to return to the UK - we left there 4 years ago(We own a house in Spain) and lived there for 3 years before coming here.My salary is not enough to keep us here and i just wanted to say i will be digging in my heels if i have to board that flight back to the UK
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wanna stay in BC

Originally Posted by ANGELA YOUNG
Hi everyone, i am always reading all your posts, some make laugh some reduce me to tears.Am more of a listener than a talker, but just wanted a chat really. Me my OH and two dogs arrived in Kamloops BC Oct 2008. OH had a LMO and 3 year WP - me well i have SOWP.We love living in Canada but due to the economic climate affecting the construction trade, his work has been sporadic since we arrived. After applying for more than 20 jobs as a Carpenter, he still cant find an employer thats willing to wait on another Lmo and WP coming through.I just don't want to return to the UK - we left there 4 years ago(We own a house in Spain) and lived there for 3 years before coming here.My salary is not enough to keep us here and i just wanted to say i will be digging in my heels if i have to board that flight back to the UK
Hi Angela,

Out of interest, why haven't you applied for PR? Surely that's what makes the most sense if you want to stay!

I'd get your PR forms filled out asap if I were you, then you can stay as Permanent Residents and also not be at risk of hubby's TWP coming to an end if he is made redundant.

Good luck.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

ANGELA YOUNG will become famous soon enoughANGELA YOUNG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Angela,

Out of interest, why haven't you applied for PR? Surely that's what makes the most sense if you want to stay!

I'd get your PR forms filled out asap if I were you, then you can stay as Permanent Residents and also not be at risk of hubby's TWP coming to an end if he is made redundant.

Good luck.
Hi christmasoompa,
havn't applied for PR because i thought OH needed letter from employer saying he would give him permanent employment. - we asked employer to help but he said he wouldn't write a letter.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi christmasoompa,
havn't applied for PR because i thought OH needed letter from employer saying he would give him permanent employment. - we asked employer to help but he said he wouldn't write a letter.
Really?! That's awful, all they have to do is write saying his job will become permanent when he gets PR, it's not legally binding for them or anything. I can't believe they won't do that!

But he may qualify without that, does he get enough points as a Skilled Worker? If he meets the requirements below for NOC code 7215 then he doesn't need a job offer to apply as long as he meets the other criteria (i.e. points, passes the medical, proof of funds, etc) as 7215 is on the list of occupations in demand. The main part is the 'main duties' - if he does those as his job then he could apply under that.

"7215 Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades

This unit group includes carpentry and cabinetmaking trade contractors who own and operate their own businesses. This group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: Carpenters (7271) and Cabinetmakers (7272). They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, maintenance departments of industrial establishments, and custom furniture and fixture manufacturing or repair companies.

Example Titles
cabinetmaking contractor
carpentry contractor
foreman/woman, finish carpenters
foreman/woman, form builders
foreman/woman, framers
foreman/woman, maintenance carpenters
supervisor, carpenters

View all titles

Main duties
Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of carpenters who construct, renovate and maintain structures of wood and other building materials and build and install interior finishing in residential, commercial and industrial buildings; and of cabinetmakers who construct and repair custom wooden cabinets, furniture, fixtures and related products
Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
Requisition materials and supplies
Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
Train or arrange for training of workers
Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
Prepare schedules and other reports
May manage the operations of own company
May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Employment requirements
Completion of secondary school is usually required.
Several years of experience as a qualified carpenter or cabinetmaker are required.
Journeyman/woman trade certification as a carpenter or cabinetmaker is usually required."

It may also be worth checking what the requirements are to get PR via BC's PNP program, I would assume you need employer cooperation there too, but worth checking just in case.

And don't forget Canadian Experience Class - once you've worked and lived in Canada for 2 years, you can apply for PR via that, even without a job offer.

Failing that, would you consider moving provinces? If you'd go to NS, you could apply via the NS CIS as you don't need a job offer for that.

Good luck.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Angela,
When the Kelowna fires are over,they will have to rebuild homes and buildings
like they did afew years back. Hopefully your husband is able to get a job
there when things are under control.All the best.
Yoong
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:45 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
Angela,
When the Kelowna fires are over,they will have to rebuild homes and buildings
like they did afew years back. Hopefully your husband is able to get a job
there when things are under control.All the best.
Yoong
Kelowna's construction industry is in recession - only 3 houses have been lost to fires (so far). I doubt relying on this disaster is going to provide employment for all the Okanagan and N.Thompson tradesmen that are struggling to find work at the moment.

I've several friends that work in various building trades in and around Kamloops. They've all been suffering from a lack of work this year, and most have turned to self employment to make ends meet.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Kelowna's construction industry is in recession - only 3 houses have been lost to fires (so far). I doubt relying on this disaster is going to provide employment for all the Okanagan and N.Thompson tradesmen that are struggling to find work at the moment.

I've several friends that work in various building trades in and around Kamloops. They've all been suffering from a lack of work this year, and most have turned to self employment to make ends meet.
I was pointing out to Angela about her husband's case,that he may get a job to work in construction after the fires period.
Yoong
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:54 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really?! That's awful, all they have to do is write saying his job will become permanent when he gets PR, it's not legally binding for them or anything. I can't believe they won't do that!

Some friends have had to return to the UK when their employer "Let them go". They couldnt apply for PR as said employer would not write the letter, they were 4 months short of the 2 years Canadian experience criteria too. They had job offers from 3 companies but none would do the paperwork for them to stay. So they have upped and gone. Canada's loss.

Life isn't as simple as the rule books state.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Some friends have had to return to the UK when their employer "Let them go". They couldnt apply for PR as said employer would not write the letter, they were 4 months short of the 2 years Canadian experience criteria too.
Gits. I can't believe some employers will do so little to help their 'valued' employees. Next time mine are complaining, I'll tell them to be grateful I'm not having them chucked out of the country!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:12 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I was pointing out to Angela about her husband's case,that he may get a job to work in construction after the fires period.
Yoong
I know, and I was pointing out that there are so many trades people in the same boat, the volume of work the fires are going to create are unlikely to make the work situation a whole lot better. They need an economic upturn, not a momentary blip.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I know, and I was pointing out that there are so many trades people in the same boat, the volume of work the fires are going to create are unlikely to make the work situation a whole lot better. They need an economic upturn, not a momentary blip.
I must be in a la la land,thanks for reminding me about the economy and not
opportunities.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:59 am
Pea Brain

I must be in a la la land,thanks for reminding me about the economy and not
opportunities.
I just don't think that it really is a proper opportunity for the OP's other half. At best the fires might provide some short term contracts for a relatively small amount of under-worked trades folk, I doubt it'll generate permanent full time employment for them, that's all.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't think that it really is a proper opportunity for the OP's other half. At best the fires might provide some short term contracts for a relatively small amount of under-worked trades folk, I doubt it'll generate permanent full time employment for them, that's all.
Quite right. As soon as any rebuilds are done, if we're still in recession the lay offs will follow. Not a great way to start a new life.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your input guys.
I know we came over on TWP and that was a risk. We brought our whole life here with us, 2 dogs included.Now do i face losing all i have including my 2 dogs because they need new bloodtests to return to UK and this could take months to comply with UK regulations.We are not entitled to EI even though we both pay into it.We are trying to stick it out for another couple of months in the hope that someone will employ my OH.Just feel stressed out about the whole situation.We can't apply for PR without a job because we dont have the settlement funds we would need to support ourselves.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:40 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Hi Angela

Sorry your having such a hard time. How frustrating.

What about applying for PR through YOUR job?? what do you do? isthere anyway you could get PNP or SW through yours rather than his if his emplyer is being an ass.

My hubby is in trades, luckily we came out on MY permit because his work has been sporadic and he has changed emplyer 3 times. He is lucky as he is on SOWP so can do that.. but he knows a couple of guys who have also been refused the pr letter - one said he was told its because once you have your PR your not tied to that company and will go and look elsewhere for work. It seems its a sure fire way of keeping people on a leash and ready for work whenever they need it.
sad really

Thanks for your input guys.
I know we came over on TWP and that was a risk. We brought our whole life here with us, 2 dogs included.Now do i face losing all i have including my 2 dogs because they need new bloodtests to return to UK and this could take months to comply with UK regulations.We are not entitled to EI even though we both pay into it.We are trying to stick it out for another couple of months in the hope that someone will employ my OH.Just feel stressed out about the whole situation.We can't apply for PR without a job because we dont have the settlement funds we would need to support ourselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.