Reload this Page >

I.T.Jobs - Suggestions

I.T.Jobs - Suggestions

Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

barney3012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking I.T.Jobs - Suggestions

Hello All

This is my first post on this site and so hello to all and well done to site managers for a really smooth site.
Mack to my question though, I am desperately wanting to move to Canada with my wife, 2 yealr old boy and new baby on the way. I have just done a rather large career change and am now a software engineer writing web sites in .net 2, c#, ajax etc...
I am unable to apply for jobs or visa as I need more time experience and so am busy learning and looking in envy at people that are moving, and reading loads aboutliving in canada and dribbling also on the housesw you can get in Canada as well.
Does anyone out there that knows some stuff know a good are of canada to aim for for my career? Any suggestions on people that can help with getting jobs from the UK before going to Canada?
Any suggestions or help I can get would be VERY VERY well received.

Thank you all for reading
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:46 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I.T.Jobs - Suggestions

I'm not in IT myself, but here are a couple of strategies I can think of off the top of my head.

Look at the lists of Occupations Under Pressure for various provinces. This will give you some idea of the kinds of workers who are in short supply in various regions.

Look at the websites of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) for all provinces. I looked at just one of them, that of Nova Scotia, as an example. I saw that that province's PNP accepted people who worked with computer information systems.

Also read the BE Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities.

Read the Wiki called Getting into Canada quickly.

The above mentioned articles should give you a brief snapshot of regions in which IT skills are in demand and a brief introduction to the quickest ways of gaining admission to Canada.

Once you've got some "quick and dirty" information, I suggest you sit back and slowly read through some more material (I anticipate it'll take you a week to do any kind of justice to this material).

Read the Wiki called Newcomers to the forum. It has links to other important articles.

The most important series of articles, I believe, is the one on job hunting in Canada. The importance of that series can hardly be overstated.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Post Re: I.T.Jobs - Suggestions

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I'm not in IT myself, but here are a couple of strategies I can think of off the top of my head.

Look at the lists of Occupations Under Pressure for various provinces. This will give you some idea of the kinds of workers who are in short supply in various regions.

Look at the websites of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) for all provinces. I looked at just one of them, that of Nova Scotia, as an example. I saw that that province's PNP accepted people who worked with computer information systems.

Also read the BE Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities.

Read the Wiki called Getting into Canada quickly.

The above mentioned articles should give you a brief snapshot of regions in which IT skills are in demand and a brief introduction to the quickest ways of gaining admission to Canada.

Once you've got some "quick and dirty" information, I suggest you sit back and slowly read through some more material (I anticipate it'll take you a week to do any kind of justice to this material).

Read the Wiki called Newcomers to the forum. It has links to other important articles.

The most important series of articles, I believe, is the one on job hunting in Canada. The importance of that series can hardly be overstated.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for this, I have checked the visa element and can get is as skilled visa but this will take many years and will also require having £11k in the bank for the full term of the application. I think therefore I will neeed to try and get a job in Canada and move over that way and then apply once in the country.
I am hoping to try and see where this type of job may be centralised (i am guessing cities) but would like also to hear from anyone in the trade any their experience of the work?
Thank you
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Do have a look at www.mediajobsearchcanada.com

also www.working.com

www.canwestmediaworks.com is hiring to several of their locations cross canada. (and they own www.canada.com and www.working.com as well as www.dose.com)

http://works.workopolis.com/customers/bgm/gi/ frequently have webdeveloper postings.

Now, if I was already out there and had my business set up I would actually need someone like you. If I succeed later this year and in a year still has that need .....

Good luck!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

welshrarebit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Barney - I may be able to help with an opportunity in UK first - I don't know... Can I suggest you drop me an email and tell me what work you have been doing and where your stengths lie?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by welshrarebit
Hi Barney - I may be able to help with an opportunity in UK first - I don't know... Can I suggest you drop me an email and tell me what work you have been doing and where your stengths lie?
Hi There

I am pretty new to programming and learning loads day by day, latest feat being setting up a forum like this one. I am hoping to learn from this site and the many people that visit it how others have managed to make the move.
I currently work for a small company that gave me the opportunity to learn and become a programmer and so as they have given me the chance I do not want to leave them as soon as I start becoming useful. I feel I owe them but thank you for the thought.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

welshrarebit is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand what you are saying.
In fact I was thinking about running an online business alongside your job to develop more income to accelerate a possible move to Canada, but not give up a job. It has,however, nothing to do with programming.
The business is involved in online skill games.
Take a look at winning-biz.com, and register for free so that you can download relevant info, if the idea appeals.

Last edited by welshrarebit; Jan 7th 2008 at 9:47 pm. Reason: Unfinished