Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I Surrender! Going Home

Wikiposts

I Surrender! Going Home

Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all
Default Re: I Surrender! Going Home

Originally Posted by babyblue
thank you so much for thinking of me. This is very kind of you.
I would be extremly gratful for any support at this time.
Before i came to canada my local special needs social services were trying to talk me into working for the Outreach programme. Supporting families with disabled children. Unfortunalty my heart was set on a new life here.

i am in a rutt right now becuase we have been through so much since i moved here and my son really want's to go back. I my heart i wish i could force him to stay but i fear the reprocussions from this.
I was a single mother for ten years coping with my three children and managing a home. I also worked part time in a nursing home and also went back to college as an adult to gain more qualifications. When i look back it suprises me just how much i did cope with. In and out of hospital and trying to be there for all my children.

I guess in my heart i feel my older two children did have to sacrifice alot over the years as i was unable to do half the things i wanted with them.
So now my children are my life and i also feel they are only with you for a short time and then they flee the nest. Maybe then i could be a little more selfish.
Many people come out here as adults after there children have grown up and maybe i should have waited for a while. You live and learn.
many thanks for you kind thoughts.
Had to come out of lurk mode to say that, having read your posts over the recent months, you seem like an absolute diamond. You've been through a lot and as you say, you have survived.
I wish you the very best of luck and fortune in all that you do and hope you find happiness whereever you end up.

Jonathan
Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough

I'm a newbie, and am just beginning this long process, but I just wanted to wish you luck and I know how it is to put your children first.

Hope everything works out for the better.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to all of you. Your support in this forum is amazing. This is really hard for me.
I just want to say that i am hoping to attempt to give it one last try. Only after alot of thought and this also depends upon my employer. I have written to my employer today as i feel i am unable to discuss this matter with them.
I have requested more money for the job in which i do. I feel this is only fair as i work 11 hours a day for minimum wage. After all! i look after three children(one is severly disabled). I have been exploited for far too long.
I have done my research and i have been informed that even as a foreign worker i am entitled to the same standards as all others in ontario. The ESA is a great website for those wishing to know their rights.
I guess i was nieve and beleived that as a foreign worker i had to accept this low wage. Knowing that i do not have too makes things a little easier to live with. Maybe then i can begin to build a more secure life out here.18 months with no overtime pay! I think i deserve better.

Many of the replys have really got me thinking!
Especially about my son. He is a teenager and as someone else said to me, he doesn't really know what he wants anyway. My daughter(in the UK) spoke to me and she said i should stay and be happy. She also feels i would be unhappy back in the UK. Especially as my son gets older and flees the nest.

Wow! you have done it again.
You have all made me stop and think hard. I hope my employer thinks about this and maybe i will be able to stay after all.

Thanks to all of you
ONE VERY CONFUSSED BABYBLUE!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Thanks to all of you. Your support in this forum is amazing. This is really hard for me.
I just want to say that i am hoping to attempt to give it one last try. Only after alot of thought and this also depends upon my employer. I have written to my employer today as i feel i am unable to discuss this matter with them.
I have requested more money for the job in which i do. I feel this is only fair as i work 11 hours a day for minimum wage. After all! i look after three children(one is severly disabled). I have been exploited for far too long.
I have done my research and i have been informed that even as a foreign worker i am entitled to the same standards as all others in ontario. The ESA is a great website for those wishing to know their rights.
I guess i was nieve and beleived that as a foreign worker i had to accept this low wage. Knowing that i do not have too makes things a little easier to live with. Maybe then i can begin to build a more secure life out here.18 months with no overtime pay! I think i deserve better.

Many of the replys have really got me thinking!
Especially about my son. He is a teenager and as someone else said to me, he doesn't really know what he wants anyway. My daughter(in the UK) spoke to me and she said i should stay and be happy. She also feels i would be unhappy back in the UK. Especially as my son gets older and flees the nest.

You have all made me stop and think hard. I hope my employer thinks about this and maybe i will be able to stay after all.

Thanks to all of you
Babyblue...I am very very pleased for you. I totally understand how children especially teenagers make some decisions extremely hard. I went through the same thing with my eldest daughter when we moved to the UK...but now after 8 years I want to go back to Canada...and she wants to stay here...go figure after all that complaining!!!

I was looking at the government website about your situation...and I'm fairly certain it said that you don't need to stay with your present employers...perhaps a new place to work is in order.

Good luck to you!!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:11 am
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all of you

Hello Babyblue

I'm so glad that you are reconsidering staying. I know it must be very hard. You are trying to do your best for your family. I'm glad that your daughter is giving you her support.

Maybe you should take the trip to England people were suggesting to Karl to take in another thread. It's expensive but still a hell of a lot cheaper than moving back and regretting it forever. Things are not that good over here. Don't forget that the reasons you left the UK will still be here. The south is so overpriced. I went to Birmingham at the weekend. I went to Gap and the exact same pair of jeans were £1.50 cheaper up there. Why? People seem a lot friendlier up there too. It was nice to be called love and sweetheart when I got served at the pub. Very different that the foreign students you get down here everywhere (don't get me wrong I got nothing against foreigners ). There are so little English pubs around here now, everything has been sanatised and but by the chains.

Think about it before you decide to come back. Have you sat down with your son and discussed the reasons why he'd like to go back? Remind him of some of things he didn't like. Maybe you should get him a girlfriend. He'll surely want to stay

All the best

MCC