Reload this Page >

I Love Canada!

I Love Canada!

Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:20 am
Banned

thomas_reed is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face I Love Canada!

Hello,

Canada is a great country with beautiful scenery and better/higher CAD exchange rates.The public welfare system in Canada is better than Australia.Canada have NAFTA trade aggrement with USA which gives visa free entry into US (even VWP countries must now apply 48 hours in advance to get permission/visa) but Canada is still free from all such restrictions.

I know the winters are tough but one gets used to them eventually and Summers are lovely.

Due to higher currency exchange rate Canada have better salaries then Australia.

Canada is close to UK/Europe and USA.

Thanks,
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I Love Canada!

Hi Thomas
Welcome, I believe you havent been on here much, you fail to mention if you are in Canada at this time?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:06 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow where did that come from?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 7th 2009 at 4:21 pm. Reason: Please stop with the pointless digs at you know who's expense!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:22 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Sure made a nice change!

Welcome to the forum thomas.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:17 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas_reed
Canada have NAFTA trade aggrement with USA which gives visa free entry into US (even VWP countries must now apply 48 hours in advance to get permission/visa) but Canada is still free from all such restrictions.
Not true - Canadians do not have "visa free" entry to the US for work, this is still required, though there are special visa types for this.

Also, British citizens can cross a land border to the US without giving 48 hrs notice (ESTA).
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Canada have NAFTA trade aggrement with USA which gives visa free entry into US (even VWP countries must now apply 48 hours in advance to get permission/visa) but Canada is still free from all such restrictions.

Thanks,
Hi Thomas

NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement - made between not only the USA and Canada but also Mexico. It has nothing to do with any sort of Visa entry into the country only comes in play if you are importing to Canada from the USA or MExico.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:32 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a US TV programme recently called Homeland Security. Reality TV, not really my bag as most of such stuff is staged. A US Immigration told a British woman trying to get in that her Visa only allowed her to knock on the door and request entry. Having one does not guarantee entry. The woman was denied entry and returned to UK.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Mar 7th 2009 at 3:33 pm. Reason: grammar/spelling
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I watched a US TV programme recently called Homeland Security. Reality TV, not really my bag as most of such stuff is staged. A US Immigration told a British woman trying to get in that her Visa only allowed her to knock on the door and request entry. Having one does not guarantee entry. The woman was denied entry and returned to UK.
They probably did that coz of the film crew... miserable buggers!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by dboy
Wow where did that come from?
My dig was not at thomas-reed, as the moderator's commentsappear to suggest. Welcome.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by G77
Not true - Canadians do not have "visa free" entry to the US for work, this is still required, though there are special visa types for this.

Also, British citizens can cross a land border to the US without giving 48 hrs notice (ESTA).
He never said it was for work. It's true that Canadian citizens have an easier time at entry to the US, although a passport will be needed by the summer. Brits do need a visa, but it's a straightforward matter. You can usually fill a form and pay a nominal fee at the border. Be sure to advise US customs when you leave though. My mother and I went to Seattle for the day, got a visa at the border. A couple of years later she flew with me to Vegas from Vancouver and was accused of having been illegally residing in the US from when she entered Seattle!! It got sorted out but i thought she might end up in Guantanamo Bay.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esme
They probably did that coz of the film crew... miserable buggers!
Not at all. She said she was coming to visit her brother and brought her cat with her! And photos and said she didn't have any money just credit cards.

I wouldn't have called the agent a miserable bugger in this case.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:59 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
He never said it was for work. It's true that Canadian citizens have an easier time at entry to the US, although a passport will be needed by the summer. Brits do need a visa, but it's a straightforward matter. You can usually fill a form and pay a nominal fee at the border. Be sure to advise US customs when you leave though. My mother and I went to Seattle for the day, got a visa at the border. A couple of years later she flew with me to Vegas from Vancouver and was accused of having been illegally residing in the US from when she entered Seattle!! It got sorted out but i thought she might end up in Guantanamo Bay.
Yes we were also hauled over the coals because we didn't return our visa after going over to the States on vacation. Because it lasts for three months the border guards don't remove it in case you want to go back again. When the three months were up we had to drive down to the border to hand it in. Because we live within driving distance from the border this wasn't too bad so I asked what happens if you live further north in BC. They said that you can return it to customs and immigration at any international airport. Until it is returned, you are regarded as being an illegal immigrant in the US.

In any event - don't ask the guards to say 'please'!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...erspray06.html
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:56 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Canada is a great country with beautiful scenery and better/higher CAD exchange rates.The public welfare system in Canada is better than Australia.Canada have NAFTA trade aggrement with USA which gives visa free entry into US (even VWP countries must now apply 48 hours in advance to get permission/visa) but Canada is still free from all such restrictions.

I know the winters are tough but one gets used to them eventually and Summers are lovely.

Due to higher currency exchange rate Canada have better salaries then Australia.

Canada is close to UK/Europe and USA.

Thanks,

I love Canada too but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Canada has Higer Salaries than Australia.

IMO Australias are some of the highest paid on the planet.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:12 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
I love Canada too but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Canada has Higer Salaries than Australia.

IMO Australias are some of the highest paid on the planet.
It does not matter one iota which country pays the higher salaries. What matters is, if the amount paid is sufficient to provide you with the lifestyle you desire.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by Expat2
Not at all. She said she was coming to visit her brother and brought her cat with her! And photos and said she didn't have any money just credit cards.

I wouldn't have called the agent a miserable bugger in this case.
I wouldn't know, I never watched the show!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.