British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   I know its negative but..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/i-know-its-negative-but-649083/)

dboy Jan 14th 2010 1:36 am

Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8246881)
That's hardly fair, and while it could have been tackled with more sensitivity, the OP has trotted out the same old rhetoric of a failed Britain, a perception fed by the Daily Mail's diet of vapid celebrity worship and doom and gloom social commentary. If you want a "better life" the most obvious solution is to examine your personal situation. Retrain or enroll in further education, do more physical excise and eat better etc. rather than the easy option of blaming society for your desperation. And then to dismiss social statistics because they don't conflate with your perception is a bit much. I think this touches a nerve because it’s the same wooly logic I have to deal with at work.

I agree, but it seems that a number of folks on here, see such posts as objects of their own amusement and quite frankly you and others come off as being rude knobs to the uninitiated. The comments you made above would have been better.

The op's comments are typical of many who have bought into the 'grass is greener' mentality and the Daily Fail, the poster is, after all, new on here and it doesn't take much effort to be cordial, while making the same point.

Oink Jan 14th 2010 1:54 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8246927)
I agree, but it seems that a number of folks on here, see such posts as objects of their own amusement and quite frankly you and others come off as being rude knobs to the uninitiated. The comments you made above would have been better.

The op's comments are typical of many who have bought into the 'grass is greener' mentality and the Daily Fail, the poster is, after all, new on here and it doesn't take much effort to be cordial, while making the same point.

It was post-modern rude knobbishness, steeped in irony. ;)

twotoast Jan 14th 2010 2:00 am

We have been here since 2004, and although it is not paradise, we absolutely love it and would not return to the UK.

For example, when my parents came to visit (they are in their 60's) we were out wandering round the shops and malls, they said that they felt safe. If they saw youths running - it was because the youths were running - not mugging people, not intentionally bumping into people. Doors were held open for them, people smiled and were friendly.

Of course this did not happen all of the time, but it usually did. We came over from Birmingham, and people here do not know 'crowds' or 'busy' - even in Calgary! Crime here appears to be a lot lower - there are still burglaries and serious incidents, but not nearly as much as where we came from.

The quality of life here is fantastic and I can't think of anything that would persuade me to return to the UK. From a materialistic point of view, we have a lovely house and vehicles that we could never afford in the UK.

You may not get your perfect job when you arrive - I didn't, it took nearly two years to get a job that I really enjoy, but it was worth the wait.

It would be wrong to say that my life is a bed of roses and I leap out of bed each day counting my blessings and skipping down the street in excitement. But, I AM living the dream!

Good luck with whatever you chose! :rofl:

dboy Jan 14th 2010 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8246981)
It was post-modern rude knobbishness, steeped in irony. ;)

If you say so. Just a thick northern me. I'll shall humbly bow to your superiour wit and intellect.

wheatsheaf Jan 14th 2010 3:41 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8246690)
the usual suspects are having a go I see. :thumbdown:

Canada, like most other places in the world may or may not offer you a better life. Its really too subjective. Leaving for a perceived belief that crime does not exisit or its better run etc, will leave you disappointed. Better opportunities? Again subjective. Depends what you do, where you are in your career etc. Outside of cheaper houses in some areas, other costs are much the same.

et sounds like you live in a nicer area of the UK, you use the word nice so I suspect its not all bad in your corner of the world. Don't put too much stock in what others say - trust your own perceptions of the place.

Those that are 'pushed' from teh UK tend to fair worse than those who are pulled due to a liking of the place, career opportunties etc.

Canada can be better but it can also be worse. Moreover, rural living here is very different than the UK.

Look before you leap- good luck

very few people are 'pushed' out of the Uk. Most are 'pulled' to Canada by the alarmingly bold false advertising of the benefits of moving to Canada. There is a growing body of opinion, that immigrants to Canada will be the only source of growth for the Canadian economy. New immigrants are also the only hope by which the existing pension obligations can be funded. Not surprising therefore, that people will say anything to encourage immigration.

If you are being 'pushed' out of Britain, put Canada on your list, but not at the top of your list. Notice that there's a lot of 'maybe if' and 'depends on' qualifiers in posters recommending a permanent move.

bsmith Jan 14th 2010 4:19 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8247120)
If you say so. Just a thick northern me. I'll shall humbly bow to your superiour wit and intellect.

....that's the spirit!

dboy Jan 14th 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 8247195)
very few people are 'pushed' out of the Uk. Most are 'pulled' to Canada by the alarmingly bold false advertising of the benefits of moving to Canada. There is a growing body of opinion, that immigrants to Canada will be the only source of growth for the Canadian economy. New immigrants are also the only hope by which the existing pension obligations can be funded. Not surprising therefore, that people will say anything to encourage immigration.

If you are being 'pushed' out of Britain, put Canada on your list, but not at the top of your list. Notice that there's a lot of 'maybe if' and 'depends on' qualifiers in posters recommending a permanent move.

Bullshit.

Many create, rightly or wrongly, a perception of crime, poor government, lack of opportunities, etc. There belief system compels them to look for somewhere better, which they may or may not find. Pulls are simple things like going for the experience or to gain specific job skills, to be with a loved one, to ski, or they simply like it. These emigrants many not necessarily dislike the UK, just that they see personal benefits in going there, not to say they may have a contrary view when they get there.

Of course there are qualified posts, there are so many factors involved its impossible to post a 'one size fits all response.' If you are young
, single and unemployed vs married, with kids and established. Where you are going, how much money you have, what your adaptability is like, are you dependant on family, are you independent, what type of climate do you prefer, what field do you work in etc.

It may be hard for you to accept that many come here and actually rather like it and make better lives for themselves.

I guess you were duped - best head back to Blighty and accept that you clearly weren't as clever as you like to pretend that you are. ;)

j and k Jan 14th 2010 7:28 am

Originally Posted by jan the piglet (Post 8246719)
<<snip>>
humans are not the same the world over - why don't you live amongst the Afghanistans and find out?
As for your spelling - it needs a lot of work.

Well the majority of us are born the same....neuro-typical.
Our environment and actions make us different.
But my point is, you'll get that 'they're taking over' where ever you go in the world. No escaping that.

Some Afghanis and middle easterns are bringing war to our shores!
Bit like what we've done in the past - so where's the difference?

1000 apologies for my incorrect spelling - one too many beers!!!

Time 4 Change Jan 14th 2010 7:37 am

After reading all your comments, thank you! I believe I wasn't clear on the 'taken over' part of my posting, I do apologise for this, I was not referring to immigrants or anything like, I was meaning the crime and 'lazy/benefit cultures, which seem to be getting everywhere and the fact that our government is digging us into a deeper hole.

I am not looking at Canada because I see it as a 'dream world', I am fully aware that crime exists wherever there are people, the main reason for my posting, was to find out if towns/villages exist where people really care about others and wether there is a better life for my family ( I am thinking 20/30 years into the future).

I have been given a lot to think about and firstly must visit to see for myself.

el_richo Jan 14th 2010 7:41 am

Originally Posted by wannabecalgarypc (Post 8246508)
I hate to say this but best to ask on another website as 50% on this site wont give you a good answer or at best a silly one. I do hope though that one of the nice people on here give you the answer you are looking for like Ann M

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your post? :p

el_richo Jan 14th 2010 8:10 am

Originally Posted by jan the piglet (Post 8246625)
we came to Canada from NW England in 2005, for the "lifestyle" and have been extremely disappointed.
While Canadians are polite with excuse mes and pleases and thank yous they are not too friendly.
neighbours aren't neighbourly or sociable.
Canadians seem to want you when it's at their conbenience they have no regard for your emotions and being out on a limb without you familiar friends and family. As long as they're ok that's all that matters.
The Canadian kids make plans with my 2 teenagers and constantly let them down with no excuses.
Their dress is generally scruffier especially in rural areas.
Poor live next door to rich and average so there's a mish mash of values and states of houses and gardens.
You have to drive drive drive eberywhere, there's no quaint little strools down by village full of thatched cottages or slate houses or castles.
You can drive for days and the scenery is still the same- it has got so boring that we're returning to Britain this summer.
The winters are 5 months long and most Canadians can't stand them and the ones that can afford to go to warmer climes leave in Nov until April.
The summers are lovely sometimes too hot and you get troubled with mosquitoes and black fly.
We get bears, deer, porcupine, raccoons, hummingbirds in our field which is fantastic.
Fuel prices are equivalent to 50pence/litre in Ontario but our family of 2 drivers pay an average of £70/week travelling quite local.
Insurance is higher because not as many people are putting into the pot.
Food and clothing stores aren't as well equipped. You can't get the British luxuries unless you go to Euro stores and pay through the nose for jaffa cakes or English mustard.
Education is lacking and teachers don't correct the basic grammar or spelling mistakes.
The grass is definitely not greener. Please think seriously about spliiting your family up and taking grandchildren away from their grandparents. While on the surface, our childrens grandparents wanted us to have a "better" life it has taken its toll on their health and they have raoidly gone down hill since we left, so we cannot sponsor them here and we are returning to be with them. When I told my mother recently that we're returning she was over the moon and admitted it was like a bereavement when we left, but the dear never wanted to stand in our way. That's TRUE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. No wonder I'm homesick

Aaah i love your sweeping generalisations based on extremely limited experience.

English people are all dirty violent chav criminals

Scottish people are all ginger kilt wearing psychos.

Irish people are all alcoholic retards

Welsh people all shag sheep and sing in choirs

Americans are all dumb fatties

French people are all garlic eating surrender monkeys.

Seriously, you really need to think clearly before you write your posts. Yes you may have witnessed or suffered from the issues you mention BUT do not tar the same brush with ALL Canadians and Canada. Feel free to qualify your comments or thoughts within your own life experiences otherwise these daft generalisations will lead to people taking the piss out of you.

moosey2canada Jan 14th 2010 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Time 4 Change (Post 8246276)
We are seriously considering emigrating, for the 'better life', we are not after perfect weather etc, but an actual better run country, with less crime and better opportunities for our family, we have been researching on the internet, but all you get is statistics, and statistics dont really tell us what we need to know, I would like the real truth, of the country, we currently live in a small rural village on the outskirts of a nice town, however everything seems to be getting 'taken over' and no where really feels safe anymore, is it just me or are there any 'safe' places left in the world. I have looked at Canada and most things say this is the place, but i really need to know!!! Can anyone help me?

xxx

In all honesty thats what we went looking for, fair enough we only stayed a month, and our emmigration wasnt that well thought out, we went to Nova Scotia. What we found was if you live outside the city you live way outside the city (unless you have lots of money -not us) theres a massive problem with begging ( i had never seen a real beggar before as i come from a small town and dont go to cities) this upset me immensley, Theres a huge drugs problem there are needle bins in EVERY wc you go to and while thats better than the alternative ive never seen a needle in the street in the uk or a needle bin in macdonalds. Its expensive (i spoke to one expat there who had embraced the whole its a good life thing and he killed his own chickens and churned his own cheese??!?!?). Loads of people on here will tell you its not, maybe theyve acclimatised. The weather is crap if the 3 inchs of snow stopped you over the last fortnight forget canada you wont have a chance. Driving is easy but the condition of the roads is rubbish huge potholes (stemming undoubtabley from the cold conditions). the travel system in NS is a bit naff only goes so far out of town if you live beyond waverly forget it. trains 1 a day with 1 other station in NS CANNOT be used to commute. supermarkets are basic as hell and you need to visit a couple to get the best deals on stuff and collect coupons. For the average joe who has to work everyday and has to earn a living the daily grind is not that different from here, theres still high taxes, still mad things happening, still random people, theyre just spread over a larger area. ITS not the utopian lifestyle presented on here by people who are trying to vindicate their abandonment of their familial responsibilites (that comment should annoy lots of people on here). You wont be able to fly back every 6 months because you dont get enough holidays from work and its expensive to fly back, people wont be able to come and visit you as often as you like because of the expense and even if they do you wont be able to get time off work to spend with them. We came back because i hated living away from my family and i wasn't prepared to sacrifice the life i had with them for a life that wasnt going to be that different from the one i had here, i expected more for the sacrifice, maybe i was unrealistic. BUT it is beautiful and if you want the outdoor life and can live with the cold the snow the beggars and drugs (theres still crime lots of it), there are still chavs by the truckful, and the expense then go for it but take everyone elses opinion (including mine) with a pinch of salt because its just their perspective and opinion of the life they've made for themselves so they're very defensive of it (as i am of my life in the uk) because they gave alot for it and have worked hard at it, there experiences aren't necessarily the same ones you'll have.

el_richo Jan 14th 2010 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Time 4 Change (Post 8247577)
After reading all your comments, thank you! I believe I wasn't clear on the 'taken over' part of my posting, I do apologise for this, I was not referring to immigrants or anything like, I was meaning the crime and 'lazy/benefit cultures, which seem to be getting everywhere and the fact that our government is digging us into a deeper hole.

I am not looking at Canada because I see it as a 'dream world', I am fully aware that crime exists wherever there are people, the main reason for my posting, was to find out if towns/villages exist where people really care about others and wether there is a better life for my family ( I am thinking 20/30 years into the future).

I have been given a lot to think about and firstly must visit to see for myself.

In all honesty, during the past 30 odd years spent living in the UK, i haven't noticed a vast change in crime / "lazy/benefit cultures" other than in the tabloid press.

If your reasons for moving are solely based on ridding your life from the above then i would seriously think long and hard (that's what she said) before making any permanent decisions.

If your reasons for wanting to emigrate are simply that you love Canada or an area of it, and you wish to try something different with a fully opened mind of the transitional process (financial, mental, physical) then go for it.

I think if you look to emigrate with an open mind and open eyes you could transition pretty well and enjoy the offerings that Canada brings. If you look to emigrate with clear expectations such as a utopian life lacking crime, ill-mannered people, walking/skiing in the mountains every day, and perfect weather (whatever the season) then i fear you could be greatly disappointed like a few who post on here.

I personally will be moving to live in Vancouver full time in a few months time and am fully aware of the offerings of the place. My wife was born and bred there and we're moving to be closer to her family and having lots of friends over there and America helps too. We fully appreciate the + & - of Canada and Vancouver but are happy to accept that. Plus we couldn't give a rats ass about leaving behind the British food selection and quality as is often mentioned on here. We're looking forward to a change of scenery, nice summers hiking, boating, beaching, and exploring. Winters will be spent snowboarding. Obviously work and real life will get in the way of this ideal but that's also fine.

Since my dad died over a year ago i've become very close to my mum, my sister, and my little niece and nephews. Leaving them will be the hardest part for me. One thing i will agree with Jan the Piglet on is the distance between yourself and your family potentially being an issue. Mentally a move across the world can be hard to overcome and for myself having half of my family and friends in Vancouver helps tremendously. Not having a support network, i imagine, could be very difficult for somebody who is close to there's in the UK. This, i believe, should not be taken lightly no matter what people say about "living your life for YOU". Logically it's easy to understand the latter. In reality and emotionally this may not be the case.

Contrary to other postings here, i find many of the Canadian people i have met to be very nice, polite, and more than willing to help or offer advice. Very accommodating indeed. I also find, weirdly, that being in Canada makes me a nicer person. The knock-on effect of "niceness", in my opinion. I personally love Canada. I love Canada for what it is and what it offers. I also Love the UK for the same reasons. I've given 30 odd years to the UK so now we'll see what 30 odd years in Canada will be like.

In the same vein as Rob_999
*Better weather - I don't see much difference between Vancouver and London. Vancouver may have nicer summers yet wetter winters. The Kootenays of BC has more seasonal weather. Summers are dry, hot, and arid. Winters are cold and white. I prefer this to the UK

*Better run country - I personally don't see much difference between Canada and UK. Transport infrastructure is better in the UK only due to size and accessibility of the country.

*Less crime - I personally don't perceive there to be any difference in my safety in either country.

*More opportunities - Health-wise i believe Canada can offer more opportunities. Work wise i don't see much difference although i personally feel London and/or larger cities in the UK offer more that their Canadian counterparts. Living rurally in the UK also offers more opportunity due to the accessibility of larger towns and cities for work opps. Does very much depend on where you live.

*Living in a rural village near nice town - Rural isn't the same as in the UK, in my opinion. Living rurally in the Fraser Valley of Vancouver can see a 20 or 30 minute drive to the nearest store / school / Drs etc. Accessibility to a larger populate such as downtown Vancouver isn't as easy as say living in a rural village on the outskirts of Leeds, UK.

*Cost of living - I personally don't notice any difference at all.

Two things i'll finish on.......

1, The UK isn't as bad as you think
2, A dream is often just that. Reality can be mile away from that dream.

Souvy Jan 14th 2010 12:09 pm

I'd say probably not. Canadians are superficially friendly and it stops at the front door. I've been here for 10 years now. During that time, I've been into perhaps six houses (family not included), and then only fleetingly. To emphasise the point, we are on very, very friendly terms with our next-door neighbours of five years. We have never set foot in their house.

The concept of popping next door for a cuppa is alien to Canadian mentality.

jan the piglet Jan 14th 2010 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8247635)
Aaah i love your sweeping generalisations based on extremely limited experience.

English people are all dirty violent chav criminals

Scottish people are all ginger kilt wearing psychos.

Irish people are all alcoholic retards

Welsh people all shag sheep and sing in choirs

Americans are all dumb fatties

French people are all garlic eating surrender monkeys.

Seriously, you really need to think clearly before you write your posts. Yes you may have witnessed or suffered from the issues you mention BUT do not tar the same brush with ALL Canadians and Canada. Feel free to qualify your comments or thoughts within your own life experiences otherwise these daft generalisations will lead to people taking the piss out of you.

look who's talking you're really generalizing.
as for what I have said it is what I have experienced and the OP wanted honest opinions so he could make up his mind. I really wish we'd been properly informed!

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2010 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jan the piglet (Post 8246719)
<<snip>>
humans are not the same the world over - why don't you live amongst the Afghanistans and find out?
As for your spelling - it needs a lot of work.

As does your cultural knowledge I think, Afghanistan is a country, people from there are generally referred to as being Afghan and not 'the Afghanistans'`.

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jan the piglet (Post 8248143)
I really wish we'd been properly informed!

Well no matter how hard you try, sometimes there are people who cannot always be properly informed.

Neil52 Jan 14th 2010 12:37 pm

There are good and bad people all over the world. personally I have never met people as friendly and helpful as the people of Cornwall where I was dragged up, Canada Oz or the UK have all the same problems with crime and anti social behaviour with kids etc but the UK media just highlight it more which does give a false impression to be fair....can you make a beter life in Canada or Australia....of course you can but you can also make a better life for yourself in the UK if you really want....3 good Countries that most people in the world would love to live in:thumbsup:

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2010 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by j and k (Post 8247562)
Well the majority of us are born the same....neuro-typical.
Our environment and actions make us different.
But my point is, you'll get that 'they're taking over' where ever you go in the world. No escaping that.

Some Afghanis and middle easterns are bringing war to our shores!
Bit like what we've done in the past - so where's the difference?

1000 apologies for my incorrect spelling - one too many beers!!!

Well that excuses any spelling errors but it doesn't really provide a reasonable excuse for that load of bollocks that you just wrote.

I have wanted to leave the UK probably since I was old enough to think for myself but my reasons are not migrating away from crime or for financial benefit and are really just centred around the fact that I have never really felt like I truly belonged here and I can't exactly explain why. Ironically I took a trip to South Korea last year and in my short time there I actually felt more comfortable and at home than I have in the UK for years, like I could achieve anything.

There are those who move for the wrong reasons and there are those who move for financial benefits or for the good of their families but then there also those who choose to try to move abroad just because they feel like it is something that they have to do in order to get a real chance in life.

el_richo Jan 14th 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jan the piglet (Post 8248143)
look who's talking you're really generalizing.
as for what I have said it is what I have experienced and the OP wanted honest opinions so he could make up his mind. I really wish we'd been properly informed!

I'm generalising to prove a point.

No you're not providing information based upon your experience. You do not know and have not met every Canadian living in Canada. You have not experienced living everywhere in Canada. Your experience is minute in the broader sense of your comments.

The point i'm making, of which gets my hackles up, is that you mostly generalise in your comments and within the advice you give on here. You state that "Canadians" are not too friendly. "Canadian winters" last for 5 months. "Food and clothing stores" are not as well equipped as the UK. "Teachers" are not of a very good standard.

All of the above (based on your comments) are blatant generalisations.

Fair enough if you provide unique examples of the area / street / school / climate / social network where you reside in Canada based upon your own experiences but to generalise in the way you do is just daft.

So to close (my fingers hurt after all my typing this morning), yes SOME Canadians are selfish dickheads yet SOME are very nice accommodating people. SOME British people are selfish dickheads yet SOME are not. SOME areas of Canada do have harsh (in my opinion) winters yet SOME do not. ALL Canadian kids do NOT make plans with your kids. Your kids have unreliable friends of which also exist everywhere in the world, even i dare say the Lake District. SOME Canadian kids are great.

Do you understand what i'm saying?

I do agree with you about the family aspect of emigrating though. I often feel people underestimate the impact of permanent physical distance from close family, friends, and their general support network.

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2010 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8248199)
even i dare say the Lake District.

I don't live 1000 miles away from the lake district and the general opinion amogst the locals here is that it is easily one of the most small minded, racist and bigoted areas of the UK.

One of my ex-girlfriend's used to visit her parent's holiday home there once in a while with a gay male friend of hers and they used to have to pretend like he was her boyfriend when they were out there to avoid him being lynched.

The Dean Jan 14th 2010 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Time 4 Change (Post 8246276)
We are seriously considering emigrating, for the 'better life', we are not after perfect weather etc, but an actual better run country, with less crime and better opportunities for our family, we have been researching on the internet, but all you get is statistics, and statistics dont really tell us what we need to know, I would like the real truth, of the country, we currently live in a small rural village on the outskirts of a nice town, however everything seems to be getting 'taken over' and no where really feels safe anymore, is it just me or are there any 'safe' places left in the world. I have looked at Canada and most things say this is the place, but i really need to know!!! Can anyone help me?

xxx

"Better run, with less crime"?

Ever thought of Saudi Arabia?

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2010 1:02 pm

Or pretty much any wealthy nation in SE Asia like HK, Singapore, Korea, Japan?

Devil Girl Jan 14th 2010 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 8248130)
I'd say probably not. Canadians are superficially friendly and it stops at the front door. I've been here for 10 years now. During that time, I've been into perhaps six houses (family not included), and then only fleetingly. To emphasise the point, we are on very, very friendly terms with our next-door neighbours of five years. We have never set foot in their house.

The concept of popping next door for a cuppa is alien to Canadian mentality.

It all depends on what you are like and what your neighbours are like as well.

I remember calling around to my neighbours house when I was younger but not since then.

Ever since then I have either never seen my neighbours or if we have seen them I have just said hello in passing.

At the moment I do not have a lot to do with my neighbours at all (we live in a flat so we have got four neighbours). Well with the exception of one that moved into a bungalow next to us. We speak and they got the younglings a little present for Christmas but I would not think about popping around to their home for a drink and they do not call around to our home for a drink either. If I see them I will stop for a chat but that is that.

Neil52 Jan 14th 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 8248212)
I don't live 1000 miles away from the lake district and the general opinion amogst the locals here is that it is easily one of the most small minded, racist and bigoted areas of the UK.

One of my ex-girlfriend's used to visit her parent's holiday home there once in a while with a gay male friend of hers and they used to have to pretend like he was her boyfriend when they were out there to avoid him being lynched.

You been to Australia Sir :lol:

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2010 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Neil52 (Post 8248294)
You been to Australia Sir :lol:

No but I've met enough of them unfortunately. ;)

I have to say that it is one of the few countries which I have never really had any interest at all in visiting.

Souvy Jan 14th 2010 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 8248289)
It all depends on what you are like and what your neighbours are like as well.

I remember calling around to my neighbours house when I was younger but not since then.

Ever since then I have either never seen my neighbours or if we have seen them I have just said hello in passing.

At the moment I do not have a lot to do with my neighbours at all (we live in a flat so we have got four neighbours). Well with the exception of one that moved into a bungalow next to us. We speak and they got the younglings a little present for Christmas but I would not think about popping around to their home for a drink and they do not call around to our home for a drink either. If I see them I will stop for a chat but that is that.

We live on a very small and very quiet street. Over the last few years we have made a point of getting to know all our neighbours. We are on good terms with all of them and will chat in the street for long periods of time. There is, though, an invisible line that seemingly cannot be crossed.

iaink Jan 14th 2010 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8246927)

Here here:thumbup:

To the OP, if you are serious about Canada as a destination, then visit.

There is much truth in the idea that you are better to be drawn to the positives of Canada, rather than pushed from the UK. Also you need to think about employment, very few newcomers to canada seem to settle until they get a decent job as a foundation for everything else. And try ignoring the UK media that loves to talk up all the doom and gloom. Judge by your own experience, maybe its not all that bad where you are.

j and k Jan 14th 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 8248193)
Well that excuses any spelling errors but it doesn't really provide a reasonable excuse for that load of bollocks that you just wrote.

I have wanted to leave the UK probably since I was old enough to think for myself but my reasons are not migrating away from crime or for financial benefit and are really just centred around the fact that I have never really felt like I truly belonged here and I can't exactly explain why. Ironically I took a trip to South Korea last year and in my short time there I actually felt more comfortable and at home than I have in the UK for years, like I could achieve anything.

There are those who move for the wrong reasons and there are those who move for financial benefits or for the good of their families but then there also those who choose to try to move abroad just because they feel like it is something that they have to do in order to get a real chance in life.

Been there done that! i'm talking from experience...all you have is holiday memories!

jericho Jan 14th 2010 2:39 pm

I love this notion that the media have "created" the belief that the UK has gone to the dogs, and without the Daily Mail, everything would be better.
However, it's bollocks.

You could always of course pretend that the it's all a myth, it's not really happening, and the press make the stuff up because there's nowt better to do. Or you could listen to peoples own experiences, people that actually live there and see it first hand.

Yes, there is crime in Canada but it really irks me when people say it's the same here as it is there. It's not..... by a loooong shot.

Oakvillian Jan 14th 2010 2:40 pm

This is such a load of complete bullshit I can't let it go, even though others have already pointed out the crass generalisations.

we came to Canada from NW England in 2005, for the "lifestyle" and have been extremely disappointed.
While Canadians are polite with excuse mes and pleases and thank yous they are not too friendly.
neighbours aren't neighbourly or sociable.

I've been invited into more of my neighbours' houses in three years of living here, and have more friendly conversations, shared beers, cups of coffee etc in each others' kitchens or round the pool in the backyard than I did in seven years of living in the same building in London. From my perspective, Canadians are much more friendly and neighbourly.

Canadians seem to want you when it's at their conbenience they have no regard for your emotions and being out on a limb without you familiar friends and family. As long as they're ok that's all that matters.

Bollocks. It may be that you're out on a limb, but others of us have made better friends here than we had locally in the UK. Being a flight away from family rather than a drive makes no difference to the amount of time one spends with them - in my case, I probably speak to my sisters and their families more now than I ever did when they lived in the same country.

The Canadian kids make plans with my 2 teenagers and constantly let them down with no excuses.

That probably says more about teenage culture the world over, and the mismatch between your and their expectations, than it ever does about Canada

Their dress is generally scruffier especially in rural areas.

Again, I call bollocks. In the corner of rural Hampshire where my parents live, people dress for form over function - the pig farmer isn't going to go and trudge through slurry in a 3-piece suit, now is he? Here, the weather plays a larger part in people's attitude towards appropriate clothing, but there's a big difference between dress-down casual and "scruffy."

Poor live next door to rich and average so there's a mish mash of values and states of houses and gardens.

Why is this a problem? Are you an inveterate snob, or some sort of Hyacinth Bucket type? I like the fact that (admittedly within the context of Oakville, an affluent middle-class suburb) there is a great mix of trades and professions and levels of income represented on my street.

You have to drive drive drive eberywhere, there's no quaint little strools down by village full of thatched cottages or slate houses or castles.

This, surely, depends entirely on where you are. Granted, you won't find the thatched houses, but there are certainly historical villages and great rural walks in NS/NB; there are various sorts of military fortifications to be found throughout southern ON and QC. Rural living in the UK also involves driving everywhere, now that fewer villages have a functioning pub, shop or post office.

You can drive for days and the scenery is still the same-

Bullshit again, unless your drive happens to be across the prairies. This is simply untrue.

it has got so boring that we're returning to Britain this summer.

That's your prerogative, of course, but you do a very poor job of getting across to others that it is anything other than your own failure to appreciate what's here, or your inability to cut the apron-strings to your own parents, that is driving you back.

The winters are 5 months long and most Canadians can't stand them and the ones that can afford to go to warmer climes leave in Nov until April.

Most Canadians, eh? I'd love to see a source for that claim. All those that can afford to head south for the winter - really? You're losing your last vestige of credibility by this point.

The summers are lovely sometimes too hot and you get troubled with mosquitoes and black fly.

No... I think what you meant is "I get troubled..." - I certainly don't and I know many others in southern Ontario for whom neither mosquitoes nor blackfly pose any problem at all.

We get bears, deer, porcupine, raccoons, hummingbirds in our field which is fantastic.

well, that's something, I suppose.

Fuel prices are equivalent to 50pence/litre in Ontario but our family of 2 drivers pay an average of £70/week travelling quite local.

Again wiht the generalising from personal experience. My family, of 2 drivers, pays nothing like that amount in fuel costs, even with a daily commute by car. Perhaps you should have considered more fuel-efficient vehicles before complaining about their lack or fuel economy.

Insurance is higher because not as many people are putting into the pot.

Insurance costs do tend to be higher, but that is because the market functions differently. It's not as simple as a function of a lower population.

Food and clothing stores aren't as well equipped. You can't get the British luxuries unless you go to Euro stores and pay through the nose for jaffa cakes or English mustard.

I don't know where to start with this one. Don't buy bloody jaffa cakes if they're too expensive. Try assimilating, develop a taste for something that doesn't offend your sense of parsimony. I can buy Colman's mustard powder in any of three or four supermarkets within about 20 minutes of home. I don't know what you even mean by clothing stores not being "as well equipped" - all the ones I've been in have clothes in them, which seems to me about the totality of equipment that matters.

Education is lacking and teachers don't correct the basic grammar or spelling mistakes.

Crap. My son's teachers are excellent. They correct both spelling and grammar to the extent one would expect in elementary school. The examples of work I see on the walls when I visit the school - and my impression through conversations with neighbours over a cup of tea or a beer - give me no cause to believe that standards will decline as he goes up through the grades.

The grass is definitely not greener.

Yes, it is, for some people.

Please think seriously about spliiting your family up and taking grandchildren away from their grandparents.

Quite apart from the insensitivity of assuming that every child's grandparents are still alive, this sentiment only applies to those parents whose relationship with their own parents cannot stand a separation. Others of us flew the nest some years ago so this is simply a non-issue.

While on the surface, our childrens grandparents wanted us to have a "better" life it has taken its toll on their health and they have raoidly gone down hill since we left, so we cannot sponsor them here and we are returning to be with them.

I'd hesitate to criticise your diagnosis of your parent's health, and I sympathise with your desire to care for them, it is surprising that their health has been adveresely affected by your departure. Your cause and effect linkage is somewhat suspect here.

When I told my mother recently that we're returning she was over the moon and admitted it was like a bereavement when we left, but the dear never wanted to stand in our way. That's TRUE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

Depending on how you look at it. Others might think it's inexcusable emotional blackmail.

No wonder I'm homesick

You don't say.

Oakvillian Jan 14th 2010 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 8248441)
I love this notion that the media have "created" the belief that the UK has gone to the dogs, and without the Daily Mail, everything would be better.
However, it's bollocks.

You could always of course pretend that the it's all a myth, it's not really happening, and the press make the stuff up because there's nowt better to do. Or you could listen to peoples own experiences, people that actually live there and see it first hand.

Yes, there is crime in Canada but it really irks me when people say it's the same here as it is there. It's not..... by a loooong shot.

Yes is is, to all intents and purposes. Numerous people have posted links to comprative crime stats on here - there's very little to choose between Canada and the UK in overall terms, nor in terms of inner-city-to-inner-city or rural-to-rural comparisons.

The Dean Jan 14th 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 8248443)
This is such a load of complete bullshit I can't let it go, even though others have already pointed out the crass generalisations.

I've been invited into more of my neighbours' houses in three years of living here, and have more friendly conversations, shared beers, cups of coffee etc in each others' kitchens or round the pool in the backyard than I did in seven years of living in the same building in London. From my perspective, Canadians are much more friendly and neighbourly.
Bollocks. It may be that you're out on a limb, but others of us have made better friends here than we had locally in the UK. Being a flight away from family rather than a drive makes no difference to the amount of time one spends with them - in my case, I probably speak to my sisters and their families more now than I ever did when they lived in the same country.
That probably says more about teenage culture the world over, and the mismatch between your and their expectations, than it ever does about Canada
Again, I call bollocks. In the corner of rural Hampshire where my parents live, people dress for form over function - the pig farmer isn't going to go and trudge through slurry in a 3-piece suit, now is he? Here, the weather plays a larger part in people's attitude towards appropriate clothing, but there's a big difference between dress-down casual and "scruffy."Why is this a problem? Are you an inveterate snob, or some sort of Hyacinth Bucket type? I like the fact that (admittedly within the context of Oakville, an affluent middle-class suburb) there is a great mix of trades and professions and levels of income represented on my street.
This, surely, depends entirely on where you are. Granted, you won't find the thatched houses, but there are certainly historical villages and great rural walks in NS/NB; there are various sorts of military fortifications to be found throughout southern ON and QC. Rural living in the UK also involves driving everywhere, now that fewer villages have a functioning pub, shop or post office.
Bullshit again, unless your drive happens to be across the prairies. This is simply untrue.That's your prerogative, of course, but you do a very poor job of getting across to others that it is anything other than your own failure to appreciate what's here, or your inability to cut the apron-strings to your own parents, that is driving you back. Most Canadians, eh? I'd love to see a source for that claim. All those that can afford to head south for the winter - really? You're losing your last vestige of credibility by this point.
No... I think what you meant is "I get troubled..." - I certainly don't and I know many others in southern Ontario for whom neither mosquitoes nor blackfly pose any problem at all.
well, that's something, I suppose. Again wiht the generalising from personal experience. My family, of 2 drivers, pays nothing like that amount in fuel costs, even with a daily commute by car. Perhaps you should have considered more fuel-efficient vehicles before complaining about their lack or fuel economy.
Insurance costs do tend to be higher, but that is because the market functions differently. It's not as simple as a function of a lower population.
I don't know where to start with this one. Don't buy bloody jaffa cakes if they're too expensive. Try assimilating, develop a taste for something that doesn't offend your sense of parsimony. I can buy Colman's mustard powder in any of three or four supermarkets within about 20 minutes of home. I don't know what you even mean by clothing stores not being "as well equipped" - all the ones I've been in have clothes in them, which seems to me about the totality of equipment that matters.
Crap. My son's teachers are excellent. They correct both spelling and grammar to the extent one would expect in elementary school. The examples of work I see on the walls when I visit the school - and my impression through conversations with neighbours over a cup of tea or a beer - give me no cause to believe that standards will decline as he goes up through the grades.
Quite apart from the insensitivity of assuming that every child's grandparents are still alive, this sentiment only applies to those parents whose relationship with their own parents cannot stand a separation. Others of us flew the nest some years ago so this is simply a non-issue.

I'd hesitate to criticise your diagnosis of your parent's health, and I sympathise with your desire to care for them, it is surprising that their health has been adveresely affected by your departure. Your cause and effect linkage is somewhat suspect here. Depending on how you look at it. Others might think it's inexcusable emotional blackmail. You don't say.

My God, my eyes hurt.............. do you always split up your replies like that?
:blink:

el_richo Jan 14th 2010 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 8248329)
We live on a very small and very quiet street. Over the last few years we have made a point of getting to know all our neighbours. We are on good terms with all of them and will chat in the street for long periods of time. There is, though, an invisible line that seemingly cannot be crossed.

I don't think this is only limited to Canada. Were we live (albeit SW London) we only know 1 household to converse with out of the 36 households in our apartment complex and many many more households down the street.

My sister lives in a beautiful small town outside of London down a lovely little cul-de-sac. She's friendly with the neighbours yet she's not set foot in anyone's house other than her own.

That said, up in Yorkshire where my mum lives and where we grew up we knew and still know many people in the neighbourhood and would often pop in for a cuppa. My mum still does and has people round to hers for a chit chat and bit of idle gossip.

I love a nice community feel yet my wife (the Canadian) loves anonymity.

Oakvillian Jan 14th 2010 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8248453)
My God, my eyes hurt.............. do you always split up your replies like that?
:blink:

no, but the Piglet's post riled me more than usual, so I thought I'd take the time to rebut it point by point.

iaink Jan 14th 2010 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 8248441)
However, it's bollocks.

Im not saying it doesnt happen. But its localised, certainly not a factor in the life of my dad or either of my brothers.

As with crime, its often the perception of it that impacts your quality of life, the fear of it happening, or the thought of people getting away with sponging off the state etc, rather than it actually happening.

Judge based on your own experiences, rather than what the media latches onto in order to fill their pages, thats all Im saying.

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2010 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by j and k (Post 8248335)
Been there done that! i'm talking from experience...all you have is holiday memories!

I don't think that is the case, I have lived abroad before and my partner lives in a foreign country and I have visited countries before which I have enjoyed but knew I could never really settle down in.

jan the piglet Jan 14th 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 8248443)

Again, I call bollocks. In the corner of rural Hampshire where my parents live, people dress for form over function - the pig farmer isn't going to go and trudge through slurry in a 3-piece suit, now is he? Here, the weather plays a larger part in people's attitude towards appropriate clothing, but there's a big difference between dress-down casual and "scruffy."Why is this a problem? Are you an inveterate snob, or some sort of Hyacinth Bucket type? I like the fact that (admittedly within the context of Oakville, an affluent middle-class suburb) there is a great mix of trades and professions and levels of income represented on my street.
Bullshit again, unless your drive happens to be across the prairies. This is simply untrue.That's your prerogative, of course, but you do a very poor job of getting across to others that it is anything other than your own failure to appreciate what's here, or your inability to cut the apron-strings to your own parents, that is driving you back. Most Canadians, eh? I'd love to see a source for that claim. All those that can afford to head south for the winter - really? You're losing your last vestige of credibility by this point.
well, that's something, I suppose. Again wiht the generalising from personal experience. My family, of 2 drivers, pays nothing like that amount in fuel costs, even with a daily commute by car. Perhaps you should have considered more fuel-efficient vehicles before complaining about their lack or fuel economy.

I'd hesitate to criticise your diagnosis of your parent's health, and I sympathise with your desire to care for them, it is surprising that their health has been adveresely affected by your departure. Your cause and effect linkage is somewhat suspect here. Depending on how you look at it. Others might think it's inexcusable emotional blackmail. You don't say.

well you lived in London, they're known not to be as friendly as us northerners haha another generalisation
as for all your expletives well really you need to look closely inside your soul if you indeed have one

Alan2005 Jan 14th 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 8248193)
....I have never really felt like I truly belonged here and I can't exactly explain why. Ironically I took a trip to South Korea last year and in my short time there I actually felt more comfortable and at home than I have in the UK for years, like I could achieve anything.

That feeling you have of being more comfortable in asia is an illusion.

If you don't feel at home in the UK, then you won't feel at home here either once the novelty wears off. It's not actually that much different on a day to day basis you know.

iaink Jan 14th 2010 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8248493)
It's not actually that much different on a day to day basis you know.

Its a big country:sneaky: Everyones mileage seems to be different.