Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I know its negative but.....

I know its negative but.....

Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:32 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
we came to Canada from NW England in 2005, for the "lifestyle" and have been extremely disappointed.
While Canadians are polite with excuse mes and pleases and thank yous they are not too friendly.
neighbours aren't neighbourly or sociable.
Canadians seem to want you when it's at their conbenience they have no regard for your emotions and being out on a limb without you familiar friends and family. As long as they're ok that's all that matters.
The Canadian kids make plans with my 2 teenagers and constantly let them down with no excuses.
Their dress is generally scruffier especially in rural areas.
Poor live next door to rich and average so there's a mish mash of values and states of houses and gardens.
You have to drive drive drive eberywhere, there's no quaint little strools down by village full of thatched cottages or slate houses or castles.
You can drive for days and the scenery is still the same- it has got so boring that we're returning to Britain this summer.
The winters are 5 months long and most Canadians can't stand them and the ones that can afford to go to warmer climes leave in Nov until April.
The summers are lovely sometimes too hot and you get troubled with mosquitoes and black fly.
We get bears, deer, porcupine, raccoons, hummingbirds in our field which is fantastic.
Fuel prices are equivalent to 50pence/litre in Ontario but our family of 2 drivers pay an average of £70/week travelling quite local.
Insurance is higher because not as many people are putting into the pot.
Food and clothing stores aren't as well equipped. You can't get the British luxuries unless you go to Euro stores and pay through the nose for jaffa cakes or English mustard.
Education is lacking and teachers don't correct the basic grammar or spelling mistakes.
The grass is definitely not greener. Please think seriously about spliiting your family up and taking grandchildren away from their grandparents. While on the surface, our childrens grandparents wanted us to have a "better" life it has taken its toll on their health and they have raoidly gone down hill since we left, so we cannot sponsor them here and we are returning to be with them. When I told my mother recently that we're returning she was over the moon and admitted it was like a bereavement when we left, but the dear never wanted to stand in our way. That's TRUE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. No wonder I'm homesick
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with all of the above.

If you dont need to move to Canada then dont. Stay where you are, the grass isnt greener. I live in the GTA it is ugly, sure there are nice places a drive away but thats not what I see every day.

The UK is not perfect by a long chalk, but neither is Canada. If I didnt have to be here because of my husbands work, I wouldnt, I would be on the next flight home.

Every time someone is murdered in Toronto, city tv report it as murder number x in December I was listening to city tv and the guy said the 62nd murderof the year in Toronto happened last night.......... People will tell you they are all gang related, and to be honest I think they are, but so are the ones in London.

This is only my humble opinion - you will have to make your own mind up - good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I live in the GTA it is ugly
I think that's a bit harsh. The view from the outbound Hanlan's Point ferry, during the latter third of the trip, is really quite attractive. In the summer. Before noon.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:46 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with all of the above.

If you dont need to move to Canada then dont. Stay where you are, the grass isnt greener. I live in the GTA it is ugly, sure there are nice places a drive away but thats not what I see every day.

The UK is not perfect by a long chalk, but neither is Canada. If I didnt have to be here because of my husbands work, I wouldnt, I would be on the next flight home.

Every time someone is murdered in Toronto, city tv report it as murder number x in December I was listening to city tv and the guy said the 62nd murderof the year in Toronto happened last night.......... People will tell you they are all gang related, and to be honest I think they are, but so are the ones in London.

This is only my humble opinion - you will have to make your own mind up - good luck.
Miss Clinique, well, well !! Have you broken with protocol, you are not suppose to be stating these kinds of goings on. Let thy truth be spoken !!
You will have to watch your back now, the "I love Canada" brigade may well be after you
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:49 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Miss Clinique, well, well !! Have you broken with protocol, you are not suppose to be stating these kinds of goings on. Let thy truth be spoken !!
You will have to watch your back now, the "I love Canada" brigade may well be after you
Not the "I love Canada" brigade, but perhaps the "don't dismiss the whole country with a pocketful of crass generalisations" brigade. Jan the Piglet, whose account I now see is sadly closed, made a bunch of assertions about the whole of Canada and every Canadian that she was unable to back up with anything except her own limited experience of rural Ontario.

Few people would say that Canada is Utopia, but is it a foolish argument to extrapolate from one person's unhappy experience and damn the whole country as a result.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:52 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I am truly happy for the "I love Canada" brigade I really am. Its just that I dont. Simple as that really.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:56 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

I am truly happy for the "I love Canada" brigade I really am. Its just that I dont. Simple as that really.
Just have a nice cup of tea waiting for them when they turn up disgruntled at your door, and charm them with your smile. They will soon forget what they had come to tackle you about.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Not the "I love Canada" brigade, but perhaps the "don't dismiss the whole country with a pocketful of crass generalisations" brigade. Jan the Piglet, whose account I now see is sadly closed, made a bunch of assertions about the whole of Canada and every Canadian that she was unable to back up with anything except her own limited experience of rural Ontario.

Few people would say that Canada is Utopia, but is it a foolish argument to extrapolate from one person's unhappy experience and damn the whole country as a result.
Agreed, we have long established this fact. There is good and bad to any country, this is purely and simply friday afternoon banter now
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I would have thought that they would just ship most of the TV in from the US, then again US TV was always a bit crap too from what I remember apart from some of the hilarious commercials for local businesses.
Yes most of the shows are american, in fact most of the channels are american. There's the odd half decent show, but most of it's crap with a capital c.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by bsmith
....but I guess if he/she/it wanted to shag you, you wouldn't have much say in the matter?
In deed "bend over a squeal like a pig city boy" prize to who ever can name the movie
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Deliverance, what do I win?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:05 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Yes most of the shows are american, in fact most of the channels are american. There's the odd half decent show, but most of it's crap with a capital c.
Sounds very much like American TV then. I think all TV has lost it's charm these days though although admittedly the few 'new' shows that I do like are all British.

Every decent American TV show aside from Family Guy and The Simpsons finished ages ago.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Every decent American TV show aside from Family Guy and The Simpsons finished ages ago.
Two and a Half Men?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:09 pm

El_richo, I found your response to "jan the piglet" to be very rude.
The original poster asked for true opinions, and that is exactly what she gave.
Her true opinion of her 5 years in Canada. Is 5 years such limited experience ? Come down off your high horse and let others state their own opinions without you acting like a drugged fueled moron.

Jan I totally feel you on the parents, grandparents thing. Unfortuantely I lost both my parents over the last couple of years, so treasure the time you have with them when you get back.
You're joking ? His comments were tongue in cheek to make a point that it is off little use to make sweeping generalizations. Mrs Piglets comments about her corner of the world would be useful to some moving there, but what about BC or elsewhere? I doubt she's in a postion to comment about every facet of life in Canada, much as I can't comment on every facet of live here either - and i've been here 17 years.

Yes, family is be cherished. I think we all get that.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
Don't be daft. If you read my post you'll see i commented on her limited experience due to the fact that she implied that ALL Canadians are rude. ALL Canadian kids are unreliable. ALL Canadian teachers are bad at their jobs. And so on. She could not have possibly met nor experienced ALL Canadians and Canada in her 5 years.

My wife is Canadian and i take it personally when people insinuate that she is a rude, uneducated, scruffy person.

Yes you're correct that these are her opinions and she is entitled to them. I am also entitled to counter these baseless, untrue opinions.

Also, you quote my untrue example comments on other nationalities and suggest that was rude? What is so different to those examples i provided and the comments by Jan the Piglet?

Finally, can you please grow up and stop with the name calling. I find your response to me to be very rude.

All i'm doing is providing an opinion on Jan the Piglets opinion.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:12 pm

Come on Gosport Girl, she left for a better life, it just did not materialise for her. She is now returning to a better place for her. There is a good reason that there is a GREAT before Britain.

There is nothing wrong with returning home to Queen and country
Oh my god, I think I'm going to throw up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.