Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I know its negative but.....

I know its negative but.....

Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by dboy
that was a chuckle. I should imagine if it was a 6,6 lorry driver from Hull named Bob, it would be easy to spot.
I would hope so.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:18 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

that was a chuckle. I should imagine if it was a 6,6 lorry driver from Hull named Bob, it would be easy to spot.
....but I guess if he/she/it wanted to shag you, you wouldn't have much say in the matter?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j and k
Well Rochdale,Lancs is not the lakes! Parden me all over the place! i love the lakes!

As cofusius said,( he was a genious by the way,if i spelt his name right?)

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family" HUMAN BEINGS!
Look different but are the same human beings!

Are we not all human beings? are you better than others because you're from the lakes? Hitler lives!
ooooh, I am in Littleborough!!!. Hello there. Actually I found the Lakes quite beautiful but bloody annoying, can't park, too busy, too expensive, etc.... Thats why I loved Canada the sheer flippin space to breathe....
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:56 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
You lived in Bangkok for three years - and the best thing about it was the food. ok - we believe you Alan
I know, especially considering that from my experience Thai food isn't really anything to write home about anyway.

I went out with a Thai girl for a while and she was definitely preferable to any cold fresh spring roll that I have ever tasted.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:57 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but I couldn't resist. TV is crap afterall, I swear to god, when I look at the listings, it seems exactly the same every night. I need a a hobby!
I would have thought that they would just ship most of the TV in from the US, then again US TV was always a bit crap too from what I remember apart from some of the hilarious commercials for local businesses.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:59 am
Sidecar Falcon

No.....
That you know of anyway.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:48 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Aaah i love your sweeping generalisations based on extremely limited experience.

English people are all dirty violent chav criminals

Scottish people are all ginger kilt wearing psychos.

Irish people are all alcoholic retards

Welsh people all shag sheep and sing in choirs

Americans are all dumb fatties

French people are all garlic eating surrender monkeys.

Seriously, you really need to think clearly before you write your posts. Yes you may have witnessed or suffered from the issues you mention BUT do not tar the same brush with ALL Canadians and Canada. Feel free to qualify your comments or thoughts within your own life experiences otherwise these daft generalisations will lead to people taking the piss out of you.
El_richo, I found your response to "jan the piglet" to be very rude.
The original poster asked for true opinions, and that is exactly what she gave.
Her true opinion of her 5 years in Canada. Is 5 years such limited experience ? Come down off your high horse and let others state their own opinions without you acting like a drugged fueled moron.

Jan I totally feel you on the parents, grandparents thing. Unfortuantely I lost both my parents over the last couple of years, so treasure the time you have with them when you get back.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:16 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
El_richo, I found your response to "jan the piglet" to be very rude.
The original poster asked for true opinions, and that is exactly what she gave.
Her true opinion of her 5 years in Canada. Is 5 years such limited experience ? Come down off your high horse and let others state their own opinions without you acting like a drugged fueled moron.

Jan I totally feel you on the parents, grandparents thing. Unfortuantely I lost both my parents over the last couple of years, so treasure the time you have with them when you get back.
Don't be daft. If you read my post you'll see i commented on her limited experience due to the fact that she implied that ALL Canadians are rude. ALL Canadian kids are unreliable. ALL Canadian teachers are bad at their jobs. And so on. She could not have possibly met nor experienced ALL Canadians and Canada in her 5 years.

My wife is Canadian and i take it personally when people insinuate that she is a rude, uneducated, scruffy person.

Yes you're correct that these are her opinions and she is entitled to them. I am also entitled to counter these baseless, untrue opinions.

Also, you quote my untrue example comments on other nationalities and suggest that was rude? What is so different to those examples i provided and the comments by Jan the Piglet?

Finally, can you please grow up and stop with the name calling. I find your response to me to be very rude.

All i'm doing is providing an opinion on Jan the Piglets opinion.

Last edited by el_richo; Jan 15th 2010 at 10:18 am.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:27 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Don't be daft. If you read my post you'll see i commented on her limited experience due to the fact that she implied that ALL Canadians are rude. ALL Canadian kids are unreliable. ALL Canadian teachers are bad at their jobs. And so on. She could not have possibly met nor experienced ALL Canadians and Canada in her 5 years.

My wife is Canadian and i take it personally when people insinuate that she is a rude, uneducated, scruffy person.

Yes you're correct that these are her opinions and she is entitled to them. I am also entitled to counter these baseless, untrue opinions.

Also, you quote my untrue example comments on other nationalities and suggest that was rude? What is so different to those examples i provided and the comments by Jan the Piglet?

Finally, can you please grow up and stop with the name calling. I find your response to me to be very rude.

All i'm doing is providing an opinion on Jan the Piglets opinion.
El_rico, Jan the Piglets is entightled to her opinion, I am entightled to my opinion, and you are certainly also entightled to your opinion. Gosh all these opinions !!!

I must admit I read you wrong on the "limited experience" point, and thought you were referring to her time in Canada, but now you have explained where you are coming from, I apologise for my mis-interpretation.

To be honest I can't say I have found Canadians rude, but most I know are immigrant Canadians anyway, so I have not got much to base my own opinion on.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Gosport Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
we came to Canada from NW England in 2005, for the "lifestyle" and have been extremely disappointed.
While Canadians are polite with excuse mes and pleases and thank yous they are not too friendly.
neighbours aren't neighbourly or sociable.
Canadians seem to want you when it's at their conbenience they have no regard for your emotions and being out on a limb without you familiar friends and family. As long as they're ok that's all that matters.
The Canadian kids make plans with my 2 teenagers and constantly let them down with no excuses.
Their dress is generally scruffier especially in rural areas.
Poor live next door to rich and average so there's a mish mash of values and states of houses and gardens.
You have to drive drive drive eberywhere, there's no quaint little strools down by village full of thatched cottages or slate houses or castles.
You can drive for days and the scenery is still the same- it has got so boring that we're returning to Britain this summer.
The winters are 5 months long and most Canadians can't stand them and the ones that can afford to go to warmer climes leave in Nov until April.
The summers are lovely sometimes too hot and you get troubled with mosquitoes and black fly.
We get bears, deer, porcupine, raccoons, hummingbirds in our field which is fantastic.
Fuel prices are equivalent to 50pence/litre in Ontario but our family of 2 drivers pay an average of £70/week travelling quite local.
Insurance is higher because not as many people are putting into the pot.
Food and clothing stores aren't as well equipped. You can't get the British luxuries unless you go to Euro stores and pay through the nose for jaffa cakes or English mustard.
Education is lacking and teachers don't correct the basic grammar or spelling mistakes.
The grass is definitely not greener. Please think seriously about spliiting your family up and taking grandchildren away from their grandparents. While on the surface, our childrens grandparents wanted us to have a "better" life it has taken its toll on their health and they have raoidly gone down hill since we left, so we cannot sponsor them here and we are returning to be with them. When I told my mother recently that we're returning she was over the moon and admitted it was like a bereavement when we left, but the dear never wanted to stand in our way. That's TRUE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. No wonder I'm homesick

I cannot believe the amount of people who leave a country, lifestyle, values, family, friends, FOODS and then complain that their new country is not the same. If the UK was so great, why did you leave?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gosport Girl
I cannot believe the amount of people who leave a country, lifestyle, values, family, friends, FOODS and then complain that their new country is not the same. If the UK was so great, why did you leave?
Come on Gosport Girl, she left for a better life, it just did not materialise for her. She is now returning to a better place for her. There is a good reason that there is a GREAT before Britain.

There is nothing wrong with returning home to Queen and country
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Come on Gosport Girl, she left for a better life, it just did not materialise for her. She is now returning to a better place for her. There is a good reason that there is a GREAT before Britain.

There is nothing wrong with returning home to Queen and country
Technically you never left the Queen

The simple truth is that no one really knows how emmigrating will work out until they try it, for some its easy, for others its a slog. Its not even that black and white, there are good days and bad days for most of us. Having kids changes things too, jobs come and go, ,health issues come and (hopefully) go, so its not really fair for anyone to judge anothers decision. My only concern in that regard is when I see people here who want to give up in the first year or so, because thats when culture shock is at its worst and affects judgement, so I advise them to stick it out a bit longer before deciding.

What gets my goat though is people coming here and refusing to accept anyone elses experience as valid. Canada has been good to me, but I can accept thats not going to be true for everyone. It pisses me off no end when someone disillusioned about Canada posts in a way that implies that EVERYONE should be disillusioned, or that fails to acnowledge that there is any benefits to life here even if the negatives outweight that for them now.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 15th 2010 at 1:09 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It's true that the British are known throughout the world for complaining about our country and also that we probably have higher emigration figures than most other western states but it's also true that despite what anybody says Britain has it's charms and is strangely addictive which explains why you have people who have lived on the other side of the world for most of their lives but will still communicate with fellow expats and people back home on forums like this one. No matter where you go, Britain is always with you for some reason, almost like a bad habit.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It's true that the British are known throughout the world for complaining about our country and also that we probably have higher emigration figures than most other western states but it's also true that despite what anybody says Britain has it's charms and is strangely addictive which explains why you have people who have lived on the other side of the world for most of their lives but will still communicate with fellow expats and people back home on forums like this one. No matter where you go, Britain is always with you for some reason, almost like a bad habit.
I can't agree with you more. I remember after a long stay in St Lucia, cracking up on the plane to Les Battersby from Coronation streets antics.
I think it has something to do with the British sense of humour.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Technically you never left the Queen

The simple truth is that no one really knows how emmigrating will work out until they try it, for some its easy, for others its a slog. Its not even that black and white, there are good days and bad days for most of us. Having kids changes things too, jobs come and go, ,health issues come and (hopefully) go, so its not really fair for anyone to judge anothers decision. My only concern in that regard is when I see people here who want to give up in the first year or so, because thats when culture shock is at its worst and affects judgement, so I advise them to stick it out a bit longer before deciding.

What gets my goat though is people coming here and refusing to accept anyone elses experience as valid. Canada has been good to me, but I can accept thats not going to be true for everyone. It pisses me off no end when someone disillusioned about Canada posts in a way that implies that EVERYONE should be disillusioned, or that fails to acnowledge that there is any benefits to life here even if the negatives outweight that for them now.
When things are going good, one will highlight and praise all that is good about a country. When things are going bad they will shout:eek: all the negetives about a country. This is applicable all over the world.

I think once you have made such a big decision to move, spent so much money, in some cases even selling your house, when things are not working out, even minor irritants are amplified as major catastrophies !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.