Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I know its negative but.....

I know its negative but.....

Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:56 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by bsmith
..it's essential!
Well, it certainly perks me up.

I wonder if piglets enjoy it?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:00 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
No, I couldn't be doing with all that pouffery. There's enough lotions, potions, tweezers and make-up living with a woman. I think it would 'frying-pan to fire' to leave a lady for a lady-boy. Also Neil52 painted a rather gruesome picture of the consequences of man-love.
Oh the potions are only the half of it. You'd have to get a thorough waxing. Back, sack and crack.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:41 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nah, that's just smoke and mirrors from dboy. Murder rates, drug arrests, burglaries etc, these things won't be measured that differently. (I know that the murder rate in the UK is the same as that in Nova Scotia for instance).

If you lived in the UK and only watched local TV and read local newspapers then your view would be very different. This is Canada where that is the norm.
Smoke and mirrors is it? You should have taken the time to see that my comments are in response to claims that crime figures are higher in Canada than the US. My comments were nothing to do with the UK.

I personally don't see a lot of differences in crime in the UK vs Canada the murder rate is a notch higher but that's more to do with access to firearms. There are certain areas that are misrepresented such as rape - there is no such offence in Canada - period. Assault with a weapon is another - in Canada threatening someone with a weapon is classified as an actual assault with weapon even though no physical assault took place. If another country requires an actual assault with a weapon, Canada would appear to have a worse problem. Homicides are as equally perplexing - in Canada a homicide in the commission of a sex assault is automatically first degree as is a gang related murder as is the murder of a police officer, manslaughter simply isn't an option .There are numerous other examples that i can't be bothered getting into.

My comments around stats relate directly to the games police agencies play in crime reporting and how different countries quantify certain offences - it's difficult to compare apples to apples and it's often apples to oranges- I do know, after all I have the power to assign offence codes to files and trust me, it can influence stats - shall i assign an attempt murder code or assault causing for a stabbing????? Neither is incorrect, but the former is certainly a more serious offence.

Different police agencies have different policies surrounding their responses to certain offences and how they document them. VPD is terrible they are masters at manipulating crime stats, plus they don't even bother showing up for half of them and don't create a file if they don't show - we do - all contact with the public leads to the creation of a file. We also don't bulk file (creating one file for a series of offences).

These aren't just my opinions, they are often discussed in sociology. Real crime vs reported crime for instance. There's the notion of a 'dark figure of crime' that always exists and is constant - what is not constant is 'known crime.' Even medical advances have an affect - are murder rates going down because were are being nicer to each other, or is it because we are better at fixing people - what may have been a murder 10 years ago is now classified as an assault .

I've commented numerous times here on the perception of crime. My perception of Vancouver is that it feels a hell of a lot safer than Lancaster, Manchester, Plymouth, Glasgow and Miami where I have spent extended periods of time in the past . I also know that there are way less assaults against police officers here. Make of that what you will.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Rob_999
You lived in Bangkok for three years - and the best thing about it was the food. ok - we believe you Alan
Having been to semarang and pataya beach me self, I know what you mean.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I don't live 1000 miles away from the lake district and the general opinion amogst the locals here is that it is easily one of the most small minded, racist and bigoted areas of the UK.
Very true - especially in small villages. When my son moved secondary schools, one of the first things he noticed was that everyone seemed to be racist. He asked a few of them why they were like that and they said it's because their parents are racist too.

I only came back here to be near my parents, while my kids were younger. And even if we don't get our Canadian visas, we won't be staying in this area.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:39 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I wonder if piglets enjoy it?
Fun for friends and family alike.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:54 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Smoke and mirrors is it? You should have taken the time to see that my comments are in response to claims that crime figures are higher in Canada than the US. My comments were nothing to do with the UK.

I personally don't see a lot of differences in crime in the UK vs Canada the murder rate is a notch higher but that's more to do with access to firearms. There are certain areas that are misrepresented such as rape - there is no such offence in Canada - period. Assault with a weapon is another - in Canada threatening someone with a weapon is classified as an actual assault with weapon even though no physical assault took place. If another country requires an actual assault with a weapon, Canada would appear to have a worse problem. Homicides are as equally perplexing - in Canada a homicide in the commission of a sex assault is automatically first degree as is a gang related murder as is the murder of a police officer, manslaughter simply isn't an option .There are numerous other examples that i can't be bothered getting into.

My comments around stats relate directly to the games police agencies play in crime reporting and how different countries quantify certain offences - it's difficult to compare apples to apples and it's often apples to oranges- I do know, after all I have the power to assign offence codes to files and trust me, it can influence stats - shall i assign an attempt murder code or assault causing for a stabbing????? Neither is incorrect, but the former is certainly a more serious offence.

Different police agencies have different policies surrounding their responses to certain offences and how they document them. VPD is terrible they are masters at manipulating crime stats, plus they don't even bother showing up for half of them and don't create a file if they don't show - we do - all contact with the public leads to the creation of a file. We also don't bulk file (creating one file for a series of offences).

These aren't just my opinions, they are often discussed in sociology. Real crime vs reported crime for instance. There's the notion of a 'dark figure of crime' that always exists and is constant - what is not constant is 'known crime.' Even medical advances have an affect - are murder rates going down because were are being nicer to each other, or is it because we are better at fixing people - what may have been a murder 10 years ago is now classified as an assault .

I've commented numerous times here on the perception of crime. My perception of Vancouver is that it feels a hell of a lot safer than Lancaster, Manchester, Plymouth, Glasgow and Miami where I have spent extended periods of time in the past . I also know that there are way less assaults against police officers here. Make of that what you will.
I make of it that i) you've got guns and ii) the uk police are generally unpleasant gits
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:59 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apparently that's a fallacy.

Lady Boy identification issues
Some have operations to remove the adams apple and it gets botched and they can no longer speak (like ever again). It's actually pretty miserable and depressing.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:59 am

I make of it that i) you've got guns and ii) the uk police are generally unpleasant gits
Well at least you didn't have jibe about tasers, as I was expecting.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:00 am

Well at least you didn't have jibe about tasers, as I was expecting.
Thats like kicking a puppy - it's just too easy and it's a bit old hat now.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:01 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Some have operations to remove the adams apple and it gets botched and they can no longer speak (like ever again). It's actually pretty miserable and depressing.
That does sound awful.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Smoke and mirrors is it? ...

... Make of that what you will.
That's all far too intelligent and well thought out for this late in the thread
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats like kicking a puppy - it's just too easy and it's a bit old hat now.
You'll never guess what I'm having for dinner?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by ann m
That's all far too intelligent and well thought out for this late in the thread
I know, but I couldn't resist. TV is crap afterall, I swear to god, when I look at the listings, it seems exactly the same every night. I need a a hobby!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Oink
Apparently that's a fallacy.

Lady Boy identification issues
that was a chuckle. I should imagine if it was a 6,6 lorry driver from Hull named Bob, it would be easy to spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.