Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I know its negative but.....

I know its negative but.....

Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Well no matter how hard you try, sometimes there are people who cannot always be properly informed.
But, is it up the the person to be informed or to seek their own information? If you don't look in the right places or ask the right questions you won't get the information you may need.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is too regional a country to paint it with one brush. The experiences in one region of the country don't necessarily equate to what one would experience in another region.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 14th 2010 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
we came to Canada from NW England in 2005, for the "lifestyle" and have been extremely disappointed.
While Canadians are polite with excuse mes and pleases and thank yous they are not too friendly.
neighbours aren't neighbourly or sociable.
Canadians seem to want you when it's at their conbenience they have no regard for your emotions and being out on a limb without you familiar friends and family. As long as they're ok that's all that matters.
The Canadian kids make plans with my 2 teenagers and constantly let them down with no excuses.
Their dress is generally scruffier especially in rural areas.
Poor live next door to rich and average so there's a mish mash of values and states of houses and gardens.
You have to drive drive drive eberywhere, there's no quaint little strools down by village full of thatched cottages or slate houses or castles.
You can drive for days and the scenery is still the same- it has got so boring that we're returning to Britain this summer.

You can't get the British luxuries unless you go to Euro stores and pay through the nose for jaffa cakes or English mustard.
Education is lacking and teachers don't correct the basic grammar or spelling mistakes.

and they have raoidly gone down hill since we left,
1st thing...before you rant that the education is lacking and teachers don't correct basic grammar and spelling have a look at your own.

How much research did you do before you decided to go to Kawartha Lakes.

The bit about Canadians only socializing when it is convenient is a new one to me...I've never had that issue here...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

well you lived in London, they're known not to be as friendly as us northerners haha another generalisation
as for all your expletives well really you need to look closely inside your soul if you indeed have one
I'm not arguing for or against the friendliness of Londoners (although as I'm sure you're aware, not everyone who lives in London is from London - my neighbours were from all points of the compass), but rather against your assertion that Canadians are not friendly or neighbourly. In my experience that is not the case.

As for your comments about expletives, if you're offended by the occasional "crap" or "bollocks" I think you need to toughen up a bit.

I don't know what brings you to question whether I have a soul. That seems to be descending into personal insult rather, doesn't it? I won't be drawn into an ad hominem attack. That's not in the spirit of this forum's debate. I think you're wrong, I think your opinions are shortsighted and narrowminded, but I will not insult you for thinking as you do or for holding the opinions that you hold.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I'm not arguing for or against the friendliness of Londoners (although as I'm sure you're aware, not everyone who lives in London is from London - my neighbours were from all points of the compass), but rather against your assertion that Canadians are not friendly or neighbourly. In my experience that is not the case.

As for your comments about expletives, if you're offended by the occasional "crap" or "bollocks" I think you need to toughen up a bit.

I don't know what brings you to question whether I have a soul. That seems to be descending into personal insult rather, doesn't it? I won't be drawn into an ad hominem attack. That's not in the spirit of this forum's debate. I think you're wrong, I think your opinions are shortsighted and narrowminded, but I will not insult you for thinking as you do or for holding the opinions that you hold.
don't respond to my posts then and do something more constructive with your time
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I lived in Bangkok for three years. I can speak Thai (I am nowhere near fluent, but I can handle most everyday situations).

Edit: I should add that I liked living there a lot (more so than Canada) although it's not without it's annoyances. Still, I'd have stayed if a long term option was open to me, but it wasn't. This said, I wouldn't live there on a local income whatever the circumstances - that would be a shitty life.
I'm intrigued as to why you think my comfortability in asia was an illusion then as it sounds like you quite enjoyed it there.

I know what you mean about living in the local income, some former colleagues of mine went out to Manila when an office I used to work in was outsourced a few years ago and a few of them have married and stayed on but the ones who are doing well are the ones who have managed to get cushy jobs with western companies. The ones who have tried to live on the Phillipino rate of pay have just crashed and burned by all accounts.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

don't respond to my posts then and do something more constructive with your time
If you dont want people to respond, then I suggest you go start a blog rather than post on a public forum that invites replies!

Personally I think Oakvillian did a very good job of countering your points without crossing into personal abuse., and I would encourage EVERYONE to resist the temptation of making personal attacks.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Huh? Where did you get the impression that I think responding to your comments is anything less than constructive? All I was pointing out was the inappropriateness of personal insult - it simply further diminishes the strength of your argument if you cannot support it without insulting its detractors.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I'm intrigued as to why you think my comfortability in asia was an illusion then?

I know what you mean about living in the local income, some former colleagues of mine went out to Manila when an office I used to work in was outsourced a few years ago and a few of them have married and stayed on but the ones who are doing well are the ones who have managed to get cushy jobs with western companies. The ones who have tried to live on the Phillipino rate of pay have just crashed and burned by all accounts.
You can be comfortable materially for sure. I lived in a nice condo, travelled around, had no commute etc. But once you get past the smiles and friendliness you realize that you are (at best) tolerated rather than accepted for the most part. You get used to it, but it's always there.

There are lots of compensations such as the fact that Bangkok is the best city in the world for food (of pretty much any type or ethnicity); the social life is great; and it's a great place if you fancy visiting the rest of asia without being what the thai locals call a farang kii nok (bird shit foreigner - or backpacker)
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:55 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

OK..i did a skip through the posts..........
To the OP it will depend on your job and what you want from the country etc etc, like others have said what works for them may not work for you.

Believe me and i am talking from experience, there is back stabbers no matter where you live in the world, i saw my share lst year, not just in the uk, but here in my little bubble

But you know what, life is what you make it.
Yeah you miss family/friends, when someone dies its a long way to go back and deal with stuff and even closing down someones life after they passed away can be done from the otherside of the planet................
You have to do what is right for you and your family, give it a go, if it doesnt work, have Plan B ready

For us i think the teachers ROCK, the canadian people that i have met ROCK and mind you some of my expats friends ROCK.............
the area that i live in, i love, my neighbours are lovely, the people at my OH work are brilliant (sorry awesome) and i wouldnt move back to the uk.
It has worked out for me and mine, but i know others that have moved back and cant stand the place

Many with advise what a real crap year i had last year, but its not canada's fault or anyone elses, my kids are happy, my OH is doing REAL well in his job, i am in the process of setting my own business up nd my family are happy..........

My advise for anyone is get over to where ever you are looking at and do a recci

Good luck OP
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Gosport Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: I know its negative but.....

[QUOTE=Time 4 Change;8246276]We are seriously considering emigrating, for the 'better life', we are not after perfect weather etc, but an actual better run country, with less crime and better opportunities for our family, we have been researching on the internet, but all you get is statistics, and statistics dont really tell us what we need to know, I would like the real truth, of the country, we currently live in a small rural village on the outskirts of a nice town, however everything seems to be getting 'taken over' and no where really feels safe anymore, is it just me or are there any 'safe' places left in the world. I have looked at Canada and most things say this is the place, but i really need to know!!! Can anyone help me?

We have all left our home country for different reasons. Canada's government and politicians are no different to Britain's, you'll find some items cheaper here and some more expensive, in my experience its swings and roundabouts. As for safe, well, I know people in Canada who don't ever lock their front or back doors and I have known a couple of people who lock their homes and then been burgled. Moving countries is a big step and costs time and money. Attitude is everything. Do some research into moving counties before moving countries. I left Britain in 1989 and yes I miss things, certain foods, good times, pubs, the social life, but when I visit my home town I realise that everything has changed. I am always happy to return to my new home, Canada. Good luck with your decision and follow your gut.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Gosport Girl;8248943]
Originally Posted by Time 4 Change
We are seriously considering emigrating, for the 'better life', we are not after perfect weather etc, but an actual better run country, with less crime and better opportunities for our family, we have been researching on the internet, but all you get is statistics, and statistics dont really tell us what we need to know, I would like the real truth, of the country, we currently live in a small rural village on the outskirts of a nice town, however everything seems to be getting 'taken over' and no where really feels safe anymore, is it just me or are there any 'safe' places left in the world. I have looked at Canada and most things say this is the place, but i really need to know!!! Can anyone help me?

We have all left our home country for different reasons. Canada's government and politicians are no different to Britain's, you'll find some items cheaper here and some more expensive, in my experience its swings and roundabouts. As for safe, well, I know people in Canada who don't ever lock their front or back doors and I have known a couple of people who lock their homes and then been burgled. Moving countries is a big step and costs time and money. Attitude is everything. Do some research into moving counties before moving countries. I left Britain in 1989 and yes I miss things, certain foods, good times, pubs, the social life, but when I visit my home town I realise that everything has changed. I am always happy to return to my new home, Canada. Good luck with your decision and follow your gut.
I wonder if you could explain further the idea that "everything has changed" because for those that might be considering returning to the UK, it would be nice not to be caught too off guard.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 14th 2010 at 6:22 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
Bullshit.

Many create, rightly or wrongly, a perception of crime, poor government, lack of opportunities, etc. There belief system compels them to look for somewhere better, which they may or may not find. Pulls are simple things like going for the experience or to gain specific job skills, to be with a loved one, to ski, or they simply like it. These emigrants many not necessarily dislike the UK, just that they see personal benefits in going there, not to say they may have a contrary view when they get there.

Of course there are qualified posts, there are so many factors involved its impossible to post a 'one size fits all response.' If you are young
, single and unemployed vs married, with kids and established. Where you are going, how much money you have, what your adaptability is like, are you dependant on family, are you independent, what type of climate do you prefer, what field do you work in etc.

It may be hard for you to accept that many come here and actually rather like it and make better lives for themselves.

I guess you were duped - best head back to Blighty and accept that you clearly weren't as clever as you like to pretend that you are.
Do I know you?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:32 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Time 4 Change
... to find out if towns/villages exist where people really care about others and wether there is a better life for my family ( I am thinking 20/30 years into the future).

I have been given a lot to think about and firstly must visit to see for myself.
Visiting is a great idea - perhaps getting some books or extensive use of google, looking into the type / size / location / climate you fancy most & then posting to see what people may know of some suggested towns.

Personally I am looking at BC, but then I have family there so that it a major draw.
I do like Vancouver Island to visit, but am not sure I would like the ferry / flight before travelling anywhere else - even though the ferry rides are pretty great.

Have fun researching.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the best way, just come over and see how it feels for yourself as everybody's perception is different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.