Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I know its negative but.....

I know its negative but.....

Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:48 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by el_richo
even i dare say the Lake District.
I don't live 1000 miles away from the lake district and the general opinion amogst the locals here is that it is easily one of the most small minded, racist and bigoted areas of the UK.

One of my ex-girlfriend's used to visit her parent's holiday home there once in a while with a gay male friend of hers and they used to have to pretend like he was her boyfriend when they were out there to avoid him being lynched.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Time 4 Change
We are seriously considering emigrating, for the 'better life', we are not after perfect weather etc, but an actual better run country, with less crime and better opportunities for our family, we have been researching on the internet, but all you get is statistics, and statistics dont really tell us what we need to know, I would like the real truth, of the country, we currently live in a small rural village on the outskirts of a nice town, however everything seems to be getting 'taken over' and no where really feels safe anymore, is it just me or are there any 'safe' places left in the world. I have looked at Canada and most things say this is the place, but i really need to know!!! Can anyone help me?

xxx
"Better run, with less crime"?

Ever thought of Saudi Arabia?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Or pretty much any wealthy nation in SE Asia like HK, Singapore, Korea, Japan?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:27 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'd say probably not. Canadians are superficially friendly and it stops at the front door. I've been here for 10 years now. During that time, I've been into perhaps six houses (family not included), and then only fleetingly. To emphasise the point, we are on very, very friendly terms with our next-door neighbours of five years. We have never set foot in their house.

The concept of popping next door for a cuppa is alien to Canadian mentality.
It all depends on what you are like and what your neighbours are like as well.

I remember calling around to my neighbours house when I was younger but not since then.

Ever since then I have either never seen my neighbours or if we have seen them I have just said hello in passing.

At the moment I do not have a lot to do with my neighbours at all (we live in a flat so we have got four neighbours). Well with the exception of one that moved into a bungalow next to us. We speak and they got the younglings a little present for Christmas but I would not think about popping around to their home for a drink and they do not call around to our home for a drink either. If I see them I will stop for a chat but that is that.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:29 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I don't live 1000 miles away from the lake district and the general opinion amogst the locals here is that it is easily one of the most small minded, racist and bigoted areas of the UK.

One of my ex-girlfriend's used to visit her parent's holiday home there once in a while with a gay male friend of hers and they used to have to pretend like he was her boyfriend when they were out there to avoid him being lynched.
You been to Australia Sir
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Neil52
You been to Australia Sir
No but I've met enough of them unfortunately.

I have to say that it is one of the few countries which I have never really had any interest at all in visiting.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:45 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devil Girl
It all depends on what you are like and what your neighbours are like as well.

I remember calling around to my neighbours house when I was younger but not since then.

Ever since then I have either never seen my neighbours or if we have seen them I have just said hello in passing.

At the moment I do not have a lot to do with my neighbours at all (we live in a flat so we have got four neighbours). Well with the exception of one that moved into a bungalow next to us. We speak and they got the younglings a little present for Christmas but I would not think about popping around to their home for a drink and they do not call around to our home for a drink either. If I see them I will stop for a chat but that is that.
We live on a very small and very quiet street. Over the last few years we have made a point of getting to know all our neighbours. We are on good terms with all of them and will chat in the street for long periods of time. There is, though, an invisible line that seemingly cannot be crossed.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I agree, but it seems that a number of folks on here, see such posts as objects of their own amusement and quite frankly you and others come off as being rude knobs to the uninitiated. The comments you made above would have been better.

The op's comments are typical of many who have bought into the 'grass is greener' mentality and the Daily Fail, the poster is, after all, new on here and it doesn't take much effort to be cordial, while making the same point.
Here here

To the OP, if you are serious about Canada as a destination, then visit.

There is much truth in the idea that you are better to be drawn to the positives of Canada, rather than pushed from the UK. Also you need to think about employment, very few newcomers to canada seem to settle until they get a decent job as a foundation for everything else. And try ignoring the UK media that loves to talk up all the doom and gloom. Judge by your own experience, maybe its not all that bad where you are.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 14th 2010 at 1:49 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

j and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Well that excuses any spelling errors but it doesn't really provide a reasonable excuse for that load of bollocks that you just wrote.

I have wanted to leave the UK probably since I was old enough to think for myself but my reasons are not migrating away from crime or for financial benefit and are really just centred around the fact that I have never really felt like I truly belonged here and I can't exactly explain why. Ironically I took a trip to South Korea last year and in my short time there I actually felt more comfortable and at home than I have in the UK for years, like I could achieve anything.

There are those who move for the wrong reasons and there are those who move for financial benefits or for the good of their families but then there also those who choose to try to move abroad just because they feel like it is something that they have to do in order to get a real chance in life.
Been there done that! i'm talking from experience...all you have is holiday memories!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I love this notion that the media have "created" the belief that the UK has gone to the dogs, and without the Daily Mail, everything would be better.
However, it's bollocks.

You could always of course pretend that the it's all a myth, it's not really happening, and the press make the stuff up because there's nowt better to do. Or you could listen to peoples own experiences, people that actually live there and see it first hand.

Yes, there is crime in Canada but it really irks me when people say it's the same here as it is there. It's not..... by a loooong shot.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

This is such a load of complete bullshit I can't let it go, even though others have already pointed out the crass generalisations.
Originally Posted by jan the piglet
we came to Canada from NW England in 2005, for the "lifestyle" and have been extremely disappointed.
While Canadians are polite with excuse mes and pleases and thank yous they are not too friendly.
neighbours aren't neighbourly or sociable.
I've been invited into more of my neighbours' houses in three years of living here, and have more friendly conversations, shared beers, cups of coffee etc in each others' kitchens or round the pool in the backyard than I did in seven years of living in the same building in London. From my perspective, Canadians are much more friendly and neighbourly.
Canadians seem to want you when it's at their conbenience they have no regard for your emotions and being out on a limb without you familiar friends and family. As long as they're ok that's all that matters.
Bollocks. It may be that you're out on a limb, but others of us have made better friends here than we had locally in the UK. Being a flight away from family rather than a drive makes no difference to the amount of time one spends with them - in my case, I probably speak to my sisters and their families more now than I ever did when they lived in the same country.
The Canadian kids make plans with my 2 teenagers and constantly let them down with no excuses.
That probably says more about teenage culture the world over, and the mismatch between your and their expectations, than it ever does about Canada
Their dress is generally scruffier especially in rural areas.
Again, I call bollocks. In the corner of rural Hampshire where my parents live, people dress for form over function - the pig farmer isn't going to go and trudge through slurry in a 3-piece suit, now is he? Here, the weather plays a larger part in people's attitude towards appropriate clothing, but there's a big difference between dress-down casual and "scruffy."
Poor live next door to rich and average so there's a mish mash of values and states of houses and gardens.
Why is this a problem? Are you an inveterate snob, or some sort of Hyacinth Bucket type? I like the fact that (admittedly within the context of Oakville, an affluent middle-class suburb) there is a great mix of trades and professions and levels of income represented on my street.
You have to drive drive drive eberywhere, there's no quaint little strools down by village full of thatched cottages or slate houses or castles.
This, surely, depends entirely on where you are. Granted, you won't find the thatched houses, but there are certainly historical villages and great rural walks in NS/NB; there are various sorts of military fortifications to be found throughout southern ON and QC. Rural living in the UK also involves driving everywhere, now that fewer villages have a functioning pub, shop or post office.
You can drive for days and the scenery is still the same-
Bullshit again, unless your drive happens to be across the prairies. This is simply untrue.
it has got so boring that we're returning to Britain this summer.
That's your prerogative, of course, but you do a very poor job of getting across to others that it is anything other than your own failure to appreciate what's here, or your inability to cut the apron-strings to your own parents, that is driving you back.
The winters are 5 months long and most Canadians can't stand them and the ones that can afford to go to warmer climes leave in Nov until April.
Most Canadians, eh? I'd love to see a source for that claim. All those that can afford to head south for the winter - really? You're losing your last vestige of credibility by this point.
The summers are lovely sometimes too hot and you get troubled with mosquitoes and black fly.
No... I think what you meant is "I get troubled..." - I certainly don't and I know many others in southern Ontario for whom neither mosquitoes nor blackfly pose any problem at all.
We get bears, deer, porcupine, raccoons, hummingbirds in our field which is fantastic.
well, that's something, I suppose.
Fuel prices are equivalent to 50pence/litre in Ontario but our family of 2 drivers pay an average of £70/week travelling quite local.
Again wiht the generalising from personal experience. My family, of 2 drivers, pays nothing like that amount in fuel costs, even with a daily commute by car. Perhaps you should have considered more fuel-efficient vehicles before complaining about their lack or fuel economy.
Insurance is higher because not as many people are putting into the pot.
Insurance costs do tend to be higher, but that is because the market functions differently. It's not as simple as a function of a lower population.
Food and clothing stores aren't as well equipped. You can't get the British luxuries unless you go to Euro stores and pay through the nose for jaffa cakes or English mustard.
I don't know where to start with this one. Don't buy bloody jaffa cakes if they're too expensive. Try assimilating, develop a taste for something that doesn't offend your sense of parsimony. I can buy Colman's mustard powder in any of three or four supermarkets within about 20 minutes of home. I don't know what you even mean by clothing stores not being "as well equipped" - all the ones I've been in have clothes in them, which seems to me about the totality of equipment that matters.
Education is lacking and teachers don't correct the basic grammar or spelling mistakes.
Crap. My son's teachers are excellent. They correct both spelling and grammar to the extent one would expect in elementary school. The examples of work I see on the walls when I visit the school - and my impression through conversations with neighbours over a cup of tea or a beer - give me no cause to believe that standards will decline as he goes up through the grades.
The grass is definitely not greener.
Yes, it is, for some people.
Please think seriously about spliiting your family up and taking grandchildren away from their grandparents.
Quite apart from the insensitivity of assuming that every child's grandparents are still alive, this sentiment only applies to those parents whose relationship with their own parents cannot stand a separation. Others of us flew the nest some years ago so this is simply a non-issue.
While on the surface, our childrens grandparents wanted us to have a "better" life it has taken its toll on their health and they have raoidly gone down hill since we left, so we cannot sponsor them here and we are returning to be with them.
I'd hesitate to criticise your diagnosis of your parent's health, and I sympathise with your desire to care for them, it is surprising that their health has been adveresely affected by your departure. Your cause and effect linkage is somewhat suspect here.
When I told my mother recently that we're returning she was over the moon and admitted it was like a bereavement when we left, but the dear never wanted to stand in our way. That's TRUE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
Depending on how you look at it. Others might think it's inexcusable emotional blackmail.
No wonder I'm homesick
You don't say.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:42 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I love this notion that the media have "created" the belief that the UK has gone to the dogs, and without the Daily Mail, everything would be better.
However, it's bollocks.

You could always of course pretend that the it's all a myth, it's not really happening, and the press make the stuff up because there's nowt better to do. Or you could listen to peoples own experiences, people that actually live there and see it first hand.

Yes, there is crime in Canada but it really irks me when people say it's the same here as it is there. It's not..... by a loooong shot.
Yes is is, to all intents and purposes. Numerous people have posted links to comprative crime stats on here - there's very little to choose between Canada and the UK in overall terms, nor in terms of inner-city-to-inner-city or rural-to-rural comparisons.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
This is such a load of complete bullshit I can't let it go, even though others have already pointed out the crass generalisations.

I've been invited into more of my neighbours' houses in three years of living here, and have more friendly conversations, shared beers, cups of coffee etc in each others' kitchens or round the pool in the backyard than I did in seven years of living in the same building in London. From my perspective, Canadians are much more friendly and neighbourly.
Bollocks. It may be that you're out on a limb, but others of us have made better friends here than we had locally in the UK. Being a flight away from family rather than a drive makes no difference to the amount of time one spends with them - in my case, I probably speak to my sisters and their families more now than I ever did when they lived in the same country.
That probably says more about teenage culture the world over, and the mismatch between your and their expectations, than it ever does about Canada
Again, I call bollocks. In the corner of rural Hampshire where my parents live, people dress for form over function - the pig farmer isn't going to go and trudge through slurry in a 3-piece suit, now is he? Here, the weather plays a larger part in people's attitude towards appropriate clothing, but there's a big difference between dress-down casual and "scruffy."Why is this a problem? Are you an inveterate snob, or some sort of Hyacinth Bucket type? I like the fact that (admittedly within the context of Oakville, an affluent middle-class suburb) there is a great mix of trades and professions and levels of income represented on my street.
This, surely, depends entirely on where you are. Granted, you won't find the thatched houses, but there are certainly historical villages and great rural walks in NS/NB; there are various sorts of military fortifications to be found throughout southern ON and QC. Rural living in the UK also involves driving everywhere, now that fewer villages have a functioning pub, shop or post office.
Bullshit again, unless your drive happens to be across the prairies. This is simply untrue.That's your prerogative, of course, but you do a very poor job of getting across to others that it is anything other than your own failure to appreciate what's here, or your inability to cut the apron-strings to your own parents, that is driving you back. Most Canadians, eh? I'd love to see a source for that claim. All those that can afford to head south for the winter - really? You're losing your last vestige of credibility by this point.
No... I think what you meant is "I get troubled..." - I certainly don't and I know many others in southern Ontario for whom neither mosquitoes nor blackfly pose any problem at all.
well, that's something, I suppose. Again wiht the generalising from personal experience. My family, of 2 drivers, pays nothing like that amount in fuel costs, even with a daily commute by car. Perhaps you should have considered more fuel-efficient vehicles before complaining about their lack or fuel economy.
Insurance costs do tend to be higher, but that is because the market functions differently. It's not as simple as a function of a lower population.
I don't know where to start with this one. Don't buy bloody jaffa cakes if they're too expensive. Try assimilating, develop a taste for something that doesn't offend your sense of parsimony. I can buy Colman's mustard powder in any of three or four supermarkets within about 20 minutes of home. I don't know what you even mean by clothing stores not being "as well equipped" - all the ones I've been in have clothes in them, which seems to me about the totality of equipment that matters.
Crap. My son's teachers are excellent. They correct both spelling and grammar to the extent one would expect in elementary school. The examples of work I see on the walls when I visit the school - and my impression through conversations with neighbours over a cup of tea or a beer - give me no cause to believe that standards will decline as he goes up through the grades.
Yes, it is, for some people.
Quite apart from the insensitivity of assuming that every child's grandparents are still alive, this sentiment only applies to those parents whose relationship with their own parents cannot stand a separation. Others of us flew the nest some years ago so this is simply a non-issue.

I'd hesitate to criticise your diagnosis of your parent's health, and I sympathise with your desire to care for them, it is surprising that their health has been adveresely affected by your departure. Your cause and effect linkage is somewhat suspect here. Depending on how you look at it. Others might think it's inexcusable emotional blackmail. You don't say.
My God, my eyes hurt.............. do you always split up your replies like that?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
We live on a very small and very quiet street. Over the last few years we have made a point of getting to know all our neighbours. We are on good terms with all of them and will chat in the street for long periods of time. There is, though, an invisible line that seemingly cannot be crossed.
I don't think this is only limited to Canada. Were we live (albeit SW London) we only know 1 household to converse with out of the 36 households in our apartment complex and many many more households down the street.

My sister lives in a beautiful small town outside of London down a lovely little cul-de-sac. She's friendly with the neighbours yet she's not set foot in anyone's house other than her own.

That said, up in Yorkshire where my mum lives and where we grew up we knew and still know many people in the neighbourhood and would often pop in for a cuppa. My mum still does and has people round to hers for a chit chat and bit of idle gossip.

I love a nice community feel yet my wife (the Canadian) loves anonymity.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by The Dean
My God, my eyes hurt.............. do you always split up your replies like that?
no, but the Piglet's post riled me more than usual, so I thought I'd take the time to rebut it point by point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.