Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I know its negative but.....

I know its negative but.....

Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:19 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by dboy
If you say so. Just a thick northern me. I'll shall humbly bow to your superiour wit and intellect.
....that's the spirit!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:26 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
very few people are 'pushed' out of the Uk. Most are 'pulled' to Canada by the alarmingly bold false advertising of the benefits of moving to Canada. There is a growing body of opinion, that immigrants to Canada will be the only source of growth for the Canadian economy. New immigrants are also the only hope by which the existing pension obligations can be funded. Not surprising therefore, that people will say anything to encourage immigration.

If you are being 'pushed' out of Britain, put Canada on your list, but not at the top of your list. Notice that there's a lot of 'maybe if' and 'depends on' qualifiers in posters recommending a permanent move.
Bullshit.

Many create, rightly or wrongly, a perception of crime, poor government, lack of opportunities, etc. There belief system compels them to look for somewhere better, which they may or may not find. Pulls are simple things like going for the experience or to gain specific job skills, to be with a loved one, to ski, or they simply like it. These emigrants many not necessarily dislike the UK, just that they see personal benefits in going there, not to say they may have a contrary view when they get there.

Of course there are qualified posts, there are so many factors involved its impossible to post a 'one size fits all response.' If you are young
, single and unemployed vs married, with kids and established. Where you are going, how much money you have, what your adaptability is like, are you dependant on family, are you independent, what type of climate do you prefer, what field do you work in etc.

It may be hard for you to accept that many come here and actually rather like it and make better lives for themselves.

I guess you were duped - best head back to Blighty and accept that you clearly weren't as clever as you like to pretend that you are.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

j and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
<<snip>>
humans are not the same the world over - why don't you live amongst the Afghanistans and find out?
As for your spelling - it needs a lot of work.
Well the majority of us are born the same....neuro-typical.
Our environment and actions make us different.
But my point is, you'll get that 'they're taking over' where ever you go in the world. No escaping that.

Some Afghanis and middle easterns are bringing war to our shores!
Bit like what we've done in the past - so where's the difference?

1000 apologies for my incorrect spelling - one too many beers!!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Time 4 Change is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading all your comments, thank you! I believe I wasn't clear on the 'taken over' part of my posting, I do apologise for this, I was not referring to immigrants or anything like, I was meaning the crime and 'lazy/benefit cultures, which seem to be getting everywhere and the fact that our government is digging us into a deeper hole.

I am not looking at Canada because I see it as a 'dream world', I am fully aware that crime exists wherever there are people, the main reason for my posting, was to find out if towns/villages exist where people really care about others and wether there is a better life for my family ( I am thinking 20/30 years into the future).

I have been given a lot to think about and firstly must visit to see for myself.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:41 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabecalgarypc
I hate to say this but best to ask on another website as 50% on this site wont give you a good answer or at best a silly one. I do hope though that one of the nice people on here give you the answer you are looking for like Ann M
Do you not see the hypocrisy in your post?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:10 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

we came to Canada from NW England in 2005, for the "lifestyle" and have been extremely disappointed.
While Canadians are polite with excuse mes and pleases and thank yous they are not too friendly.
neighbours aren't neighbourly or sociable.
Canadians seem to want you when it's at their conbenience they have no regard for your emotions and being out on a limb without you familiar friends and family. As long as they're ok that's all that matters.
The Canadian kids make plans with my 2 teenagers and constantly let them down with no excuses.
Their dress is generally scruffier especially in rural areas.
Poor live next door to rich and average so there's a mish mash of values and states of houses and gardens.
You have to drive drive drive eberywhere, there's no quaint little strools down by village full of thatched cottages or slate houses or castles.
You can drive for days and the scenery is still the same- it has got so boring that we're returning to Britain this summer.
The winters are 5 months long and most Canadians can't stand them and the ones that can afford to go to warmer climes leave in Nov until April.
The summers are lovely sometimes too hot and you get troubled with mosquitoes and black fly.
We get bears, deer, porcupine, raccoons, hummingbirds in our field which is fantastic.
Fuel prices are equivalent to 50pence/litre in Ontario but our family of 2 drivers pay an average of £70/week travelling quite local.
Insurance is higher because not as many people are putting into the pot.
Food and clothing stores aren't as well equipped. You can't get the British luxuries unless you go to Euro stores and pay through the nose for jaffa cakes or English mustard.
Education is lacking and teachers don't correct the basic grammar or spelling mistakes.
The grass is definitely not greener. Please think seriously about spliiting your family up and taking grandchildren away from their grandparents. While on the surface, our childrens grandparents wanted us to have a "better" life it has taken its toll on their health and they have raoidly gone down hill since we left, so we cannot sponsor them here and we are returning to be with them. When I told my mother recently that we're returning she was over the moon and admitted it was like a bereavement when we left, but the dear never wanted to stand in our way. That's TRUE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. No wonder I'm homesick
Aaah i love your sweeping generalisations based on extremely limited experience.

English people are all dirty violent chav criminals

Scottish people are all ginger kilt wearing psychos.

Irish people are all alcoholic retards

Welsh people all shag sheep and sing in choirs

Americans are all dumb fatties

French people are all garlic eating surrender monkeys.

Seriously, you really need to think clearly before you write your posts. Yes you may have witnessed or suffered from the issues you mention BUT do not tar the same brush with ALL Canadians and Canada. Feel free to qualify your comments or thoughts within your own life experiences otherwise these daft generalisations will lead to people taking the piss out of you.

Last edited by el_richo; Jan 14th 2010 at 8:12 am.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Time 4 Change
We are seriously considering emigrating, for the 'better life', we are not after perfect weather etc, but an actual better run country, with less crime and better opportunities for our family, we have been researching on the internet, but all you get is statistics, and statistics dont really tell us what we need to know, I would like the real truth, of the country, we currently live in a small rural village on the outskirts of a nice town, however everything seems to be getting 'taken over' and no where really feels safe anymore, is it just me or are there any 'safe' places left in the world. I have looked at Canada and most things say this is the place, but i really need to know!!! Can anyone help me?

xxx

In all honesty thats what we went looking for, fair enough we only stayed a month, and our emmigration wasnt that well thought out, we went to Nova Scotia. What we found was if you live outside the city you live way outside the city (unless you have lots of money -not us) theres a massive problem with begging ( i had never seen a real beggar before as i come from a small town and dont go to cities) this upset me immensley, Theres a huge drugs problem there are needle bins in EVERY wc you go to and while thats better than the alternative ive never seen a needle in the street in the uk or a needle bin in macdonalds. Its expensive (i spoke to one expat there who had embraced the whole its a good life thing and he killed his own chickens and churned his own cheese??!?!?). Loads of people on here will tell you its not, maybe theyve acclimatised. The weather is crap if the 3 inchs of snow stopped you over the last fortnight forget canada you wont have a chance. Driving is easy but the condition of the roads is rubbish huge potholes (stemming undoubtabley from the cold conditions). the travel system in NS is a bit naff only goes so far out of town if you live beyond waverly forget it. trains 1 a day with 1 other station in NS CANNOT be used to commute. supermarkets are basic as hell and you need to visit a couple to get the best deals on stuff and collect coupons. For the average joe who has to work everyday and has to earn a living the daily grind is not that different from here, theres still high taxes, still mad things happening, still random people, theyre just spread over a larger area. ITS not the utopian lifestyle presented on here by people who are trying to vindicate their abandonment of their familial responsibilites (that comment should annoy lots of people on here). You wont be able to fly back every 6 months because you dont get enough holidays from work and its expensive to fly back, people wont be able to come and visit you as often as you like because of the expense and even if they do you wont be able to get time off work to spend with them. We came back because i hated living away from my family and i wasn't prepared to sacrifice the life i had with them for a life that wasnt going to be that different from the one i had here, i expected more for the sacrifice, maybe i was unrealistic. BUT it is beautiful and if you want the outdoor life and can live with the cold the snow the beggars and drugs (theres still crime lots of it), there are still chavs by the truckful, and the expense then go for it but take everyone elses opinion (including mine) with a pinch of salt because its just their perspective and opinion of the life they've made for themselves so they're very defensive of it (as i am of my life in the uk) because they gave alot for it and have worked hard at it, there experiences aren't necessarily the same ones you'll have.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:07 am
Beep

After reading all your comments, thank you! I believe I wasn't clear on the 'taken over' part of my posting, I do apologise for this, I was not referring to immigrants or anything like, I was meaning the crime and 'lazy/benefit cultures, which seem to be getting everywhere and the fact that our government is digging us into a deeper hole.

I am not looking at Canada because I see it as a 'dream world', I am fully aware that crime exists wherever there are people, the main reason for my posting, was to find out if towns/villages exist where people really care about others and wether there is a better life for my family ( I am thinking 20/30 years into the future).

I have been given a lot to think about and firstly must visit to see for myself.
In all honesty, during the past 30 odd years spent living in the UK, i haven't noticed a vast change in crime / "lazy/benefit cultures" other than in the tabloid press.

If your reasons for moving are solely based on ridding your life from the above then i would seriously think long and hard (that's what she said) before making any permanent decisions.

If your reasons for wanting to emigrate are simply that you love Canada or an area of it, and you wish to try something different with a fully opened mind of the transitional process (financial, mental, physical) then go for it.

I think if you look to emigrate with an open mind and open eyes you could transition pretty well and enjoy the offerings that Canada brings. If you look to emigrate with clear expectations such as a utopian life lacking crime, ill-mannered people, walking/skiing in the mountains every day, and perfect weather (whatever the season) then i fear you could be greatly disappointed like a few who post on here.

I personally will be moving to live in Vancouver full time in a few months time and am fully aware of the offerings of the place. My wife was born and bred there and we're moving to be closer to her family and having lots of friends over there and America helps too. We fully appreciate the + & - of Canada and Vancouver but are happy to accept that. Plus we couldn't give a rats ass about leaving behind the British food selection and quality as is often mentioned on here. We're looking forward to a change of scenery, nice summers hiking, boating, beaching, and exploring. Winters will be spent snowboarding. Obviously work and real life will get in the way of this ideal but that's also fine.

Since my dad died over a year ago i've become very close to my mum, my sister, and my little niece and nephews. Leaving them will be the hardest part for me. One thing i will agree with Jan the Piglet on is the distance between yourself and your family potentially being an issue. Mentally a move across the world can be hard to overcome and for myself having half of my family and friends in Vancouver helps tremendously. Not having a support network, i imagine, could be very difficult for somebody who is close to there's in the UK. This, i believe, should not be taken lightly no matter what people say about "living your life for YOU". Logically it's easy to understand the latter. In reality and emotionally this may not be the case.

Contrary to other postings here, i find many of the Canadian people i have met to be very nice, polite, and more than willing to help or offer advice. Very accommodating indeed. I also find, weirdly, that being in Canada makes me a nicer person. The knock-on effect of "niceness", in my opinion. I personally love Canada. I love Canada for what it is and what it offers. I also Love the UK for the same reasons. I've given 30 odd years to the UK so now we'll see what 30 odd years in Canada will be like.

In the same vein as Rob_999
*Better weather - I don't see much difference between Vancouver and London. Vancouver may have nicer summers yet wetter winters. The Kootenays of BC has more seasonal weather. Summers are dry, hot, and arid. Winters are cold and white. I prefer this to the UK

*Better run country - I personally don't see much difference between Canada and UK. Transport infrastructure is better in the UK only due to size and accessibility of the country.

*Less crime - I personally don't perceive there to be any difference in my safety in either country.

*More opportunities - Health-wise i believe Canada can offer more opportunities. Work wise i don't see much difference although i personally feel London and/or larger cities in the UK offer more that their Canadian counterparts. Living rurally in the UK also offers more opportunity due to the accessibility of larger towns and cities for work opps. Does very much depend on where you live.

*Living in a rural village near nice town - Rural isn't the same as in the UK, in my opinion. Living rurally in the Fraser Valley of Vancouver can see a 20 or 30 minute drive to the nearest store / school / Drs etc. Accessibility to a larger populate such as downtown Vancouver isn't as easy as say living in a rural village on the outskirts of Leeds, UK.

*Cost of living - I personally don't notice any difference at all.

Two things i'll finish on.......

1, The UK isn't as bad as you think
2, A dream is often just that. Reality can be mile away from that dream.

Last edited by el_richo; Jan 14th 2010 at 10:02 am.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:09 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say probably not. Canadians are superficially friendly and it stops at the front door. I've been here for 10 years now. During that time, I've been into perhaps six houses (family not included), and then only fleetingly. To emphasise the point, we are on very, very friendly terms with our next-door neighbours of five years. We have never set foot in their house.

The concept of popping next door for a cuppa is alien to Canadian mentality.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Aaah i love your sweeping generalisations based on extremely limited experience.

English people are all dirty violent chav criminals

Scottish people are all ginger kilt wearing psychos.

Irish people are all alcoholic retards

Welsh people all shag sheep and sing in choirs

Americans are all dumb fatties

French people are all garlic eating surrender monkeys.

Seriously, you really need to think clearly before you write your posts. Yes you may have witnessed or suffered from the issues you mention BUT do not tar the same brush with ALL Canadians and Canada. Feel free to qualify your comments or thoughts within your own life experiences otherwise these daft generalisations will lead to people taking the piss out of you.
look who's talking you're really generalizing.
as for what I have said it is what I have experienced and the OP wanted honest opinions so he could make up his mind. I really wish we'd been properly informed!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
humans are not the same the world over - why don't you live amongst the Afghanistans and find out?
As for your spelling - it needs a lot of work.
As does your cultural knowledge I think, Afghanistan is a country, people from there are generally referred to as being Afghan and not 'the Afghanistans'`.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish we'd been properly informed!
Well no matter how hard you try, sometimes there are people who cannot always be properly informed.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:37 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

There are good and bad people all over the world. personally I have never met people as friendly and helpful as the people of Cornwall where I was dragged up, Canada Oz or the UK have all the same problems with crime and anti social behaviour with kids etc but the UK media just highlight it more which does give a false impression to be fair....can you make a beter life in Canada or Australia....of course you can but you can also make a better life for yourself in the UK if you really want....3 good Countries that most people in the world would love to live in
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by j and k
Well the majority of us are born the same....neuro-typical.
Our environment and actions make us different.
But my point is, you'll get that 'they're taking over' where ever you go in the world. No escaping that.

Some Afghanis and middle easterns are bringing war to our shores!
Bit like what we've done in the past - so where's the difference?

1000 apologies for my incorrect spelling - one too many beers!!!
Well that excuses any spelling errors but it doesn't really provide a reasonable excuse for that load of bollocks that you just wrote.

I have wanted to leave the UK probably since I was old enough to think for myself but my reasons are not migrating away from crime or for financial benefit and are really just centred around the fact that I have never really felt like I truly belonged here and I can't exactly explain why. Ironically I took a trip to South Korea last year and in my short time there I actually felt more comfortable and at home than I have in the UK for years, like I could achieve anything.

There are those who move for the wrong reasons and there are those who move for financial benefits or for the good of their families but then there also those who choose to try to move abroad just because they feel like it is something that they have to do in order to get a real chance in life.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 14th 2010 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:43 pm
Beep

look who's talking you're really generalizing.
as for what I have said it is what I have experienced and the OP wanted honest opinions so he could make up his mind. I really wish we'd been properly informed!
I'm generalising to prove a point.

No you're not providing information based upon your experience. You do not know and have not met every Canadian living in Canada. You have not experienced living everywhere in Canada. Your experience is minute in the broader sense of your comments.

The point i'm making, of which gets my hackles up, is that you mostly generalise in your comments and within the advice you give on here. You state that "Canadians" are not too friendly. "Canadian winters" last for 5 months. "Food and clothing stores" are not as well equipped as the UK. "Teachers" are not of a very good standard.

All of the above (based on your comments) are blatant generalisations.

Fair enough if you provide unique examples of the area / street / school / climate / social network where you reside in Canada based upon your own experiences but to generalise in the way you do is just daft.

So to close (my fingers hurt after all my typing this morning), yes SOME Canadians are selfish dickheads yet SOME are very nice accommodating people. SOME British people are selfish dickheads yet SOME are not. SOME areas of Canada do have harsh (in my opinion) winters yet SOME do not. ALL Canadian kids do NOT make plans with your kids. Your kids have unreliable friends of which also exist everywhere in the world, even i dare say the Lake District. SOME Canadian kids are great.

Do you understand what i'm saying?

I do agree with you about the family aspect of emigrating though. I often feel people underestimate the impact of permanent physical distance from close family, friends, and their general support network.

Last edited by el_richo; Jan 14th 2010 at 12:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.