Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I have lots of info on Okanagan now its Vancouver Islands turn!!

I have lots of info on Okanagan now its Vancouver Islands turn!!

Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:27 am
Just Joined

galaxyandminstrels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have lots of info on Okanagan now its Vancouver Islands turn!!

So as some may know from a previous thread we are considering moving from NS to BC, the climate is a big draw for us. We have a trip planned for this summer and have narrowed our search to the Okanagan or Vancouver Island.

We have lots of information on the Okanagan and now are looking for information on Vancouver Island.

We both will be looking for work, me as a RN and hubby is in the food industry and works as a business development manager.

We currently live 40 mins outside Dartmouth / Halifax and love living semi-rural. Close by is the library, doctors, dentist, schools, grocery stores etc and we are happy traveling into town for other things like the cinema, swimming, malls etc.

We are therefore looking to live about the same distance outside a city / large town as we are not city dwellers and we do love living on the coast so we are not sure at this point about living in the Okanagan (we need to visit) which brings us to Vancouver Island.

House prices we know are more expensive and we will have to compromise on certain things if we do move.

Work may be a challenge also on Vancouver Island for us.

I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on finding work on the island. Also from research on here and MLS we are looking at the following areas:

Ladysmith, Duncan, Shawnigan Lake

I know everyone has their own personal experiences and thoughts which may differ to ours but it would be good to have some information to work on.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:53 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have lots of info on Okanagan now its Vancouver Islands turn!!

Originally Posted by galaxyandminstrels
So as some may know from a previous thread we are considering moving from NS to BC, the climate is a big draw for us. We have a trip planned for this summer and have narrowed our search to the Okanagan or Vancouver Island.

We have lots of information on the Okanagan and now are looking for information on Vancouver Island.

We both will be looking for work, me as a RN and hubby is in the food industry and works as a business development manager.

We currently live 40 mins outside Dartmouth / Halifax and love living semi-rural. Close by is the library, doctors, dentist, schools, grocery stores etc and we are happy traveling into town for other things like the cinema, swimming, malls etc.

We are therefore looking to live about the same distance outside a city / large town as we are not city dwellers and we do love living on the coast so we are not sure at this point about living in the Okanagan (we need to visit) which brings us to Vancouver Island.

House prices we know are more expensive and we will have to compromise on certain things if we do move.

Work may be a challenge also on Vancouver Island for us.

I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on finding work on the island. Also from research on here and MLS we are looking at the following areas:

Ladysmith, Duncan, Shawnigan Lake

I know everyone has their own personal experiences and thoughts which may differ to ours but it would be good to have some information to work on.

Thanks in advance.
Just interested but how easy is it to convert nursing registration from NS to BC? I though even for canadian nurses province to province was still a pain...
Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Just interested but how easy is it to convert nursing registration from NS to BC? I though even for canadian nurses province to province was still a pain...
Another question I am waiting to find out too!! I am licensed here in NS and am employed so was hoping it was relatively easy.....keeping fingers crossed! !
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Another question I am waiting to find out too!! I am licensed here in NS and am employed so was hoping it was relatively easy.....keeping fingers crossed! !
I recently converted my NS registration to an Ontario one. The whole process took around 6 months I think. The hold up was waiting for the NMC in London to resend my transcripts. They are SO slow.... I also had to sit the Jurisprudence exam. I think that may be specific to ontario, but not sure. Also much cheaper to get registered in other provinces. NS is far pricier than most. Good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anders101
I recently converted my NS registration to an Ontario one. The whole process took around 6 months I think. The hold up was waiting for the NMC in London to resend my transcripts. They are SO slow.... I also had to sit the Jurisprudence exam. I think that may be specific to ontario, but not sure. Also much cheaper to get registered in other provinces. NS is far pricier than most. Good luck!
Thanks for the info.....I just assumed I wouldn't need to do the whole NMC transcript thing again!! What a pain! ! It's certainly something I need to check into. Good luck in Ontario!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.....I just assumed I wouldn't need to do the whole NMC transcript thing again!! What a pain! ! It's certainly something I need to check into. Good luck in Ontario!
Thanks, am loving Ontario! The board in BC, will send a request to the NMC for necessary info. when you apply. You just have to pay the fee, so not nearly as stressful as first time round
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks, am loving Ontario! The board in BC, will send a request to the NMC for necessary info. when you apply. You just have to pay the fee, so not nearly as stressful as first time round
Happy (well...... ish) to pay the fee as long as no exam is heading my way! ! ! Lol!! Are you missing NS at all?
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Happy (well...... ish) to pay the fee as long as no exam is heading my way! ! ! Lol!! Are you missing NS at all?
Lol....NO! Not even a backward glance. Glad to have dug myself out!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Lol....NO! Not even a backward glance. Glad to have dug myself out!
Hahaha.....good for you! It's still bloody cold in Ontario though isn't it?? Brrrrr!!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Hahaha.....good for you! It's still bloody cold in Ontario though isn't it?? Brrrrr!!
It is bloody cold...However, so far less snow, and I think there is less of that freeze thaw thing as not coastal.
I will miss my pals, and the sea, but was so bored after 5 years I feel like an over excited kid in a theme park now. So much to see and do. Am champing at the bit to go and explore. Roll on spring!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:04 am
Just Joined

It is bloody cold...However, so far less snow, and I think there is less of that freeze thaw thing as not coastal.
I will miss my pals, and the sea, but was so bored after 5 years I feel like an over excited kid in a theme park now. So much to see and do. Am champing at the bit to go and explore. Roll on spring!
Well it sounds as if you made the right choice, that's great. Enjoy exploring and when you find spring send it here with express delivery!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Well it sounds as if you made the right choice, that's great. Enjoy exploring and when you find spring send it here with express delivery!
If I ever find it, I will do. All the best to you!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

shez1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty sure that you are able to transfer your license over. You have to go on bc nurses website,there are application forms and i believe notarised printable form. This is brief as only glanced at it, no exam as far as i can see