Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I hate Toronto

I hate Toronto

Old May 13th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of
Default Re: I hate Toronto

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It depends. The downside of having a computer connected to the TV is that it's always on, so having a quick look doesn't take very long. If it's pissing it down, I'll take a break from killing video game bad guys and check the forum every now and then.
I sympathise. Try killing the good guys, it improves mood on rainy days and may help stop your addiction to BE.

On the other hand, just carry on.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

I also hate Toronto because it's busy and expensive with rude, impatient unfriendly no-sense-of-humour natives.

On the other hand I love Toronto because it has amazing restaurants, the quality of service is generally first class, the summer is amazing (it's like living in the south of france from may to october) and the breadth and depth of products and services you can get is outstanding.

Really the only thing wrong with Toronto is the people. lol.

Originally Posted by jameswales
There we go, it's out there. Couldn't keep it in any longer.

What an awful place! Busy, expensive with rude natives. All of the touted attractions were a let down, aside from the ferry back to Billy Bishop, that was great, as I was delighted to be getting out of that hell-hole after two weeks touring the city with work.

Would rather move back to the UK and go and live in Birmingham or Bradistan.

Rant over!
Old May 13th 2011, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
I also hate Toronto because it's busy and expensive with rude, impatient unfriendly no-sense-of-humour natives.

On the other hand I love Toronto because it has amazing restaurants, the quality of service is generally first class, the summer is amazing (it's like living in the south of france from may to october) and the breadth and depth of products and services you can get is outstanding.

Really the only thing wrong with Toronto is the people. lol.
There are surprisingly few natives in Toronto. If you want natives try Regina or Winnipeg.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Granted I was only there for 6 weeks but I met nothing but lovely, genuinely nice people who bent over backwards to help myself and my friends.

I was staying on Church and Gerrard, right next to Jarvis and even the crackheads seemed nice haha. Used to go to the beer store up there most evenings.

Anyway, I fell in love with that city. Maybe it's because I'm young, stupid and naive but I see nothing but opportunities for myself over there.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I heard the locals pronounce it trawna. Does anybody know of a more ridiculous affectation for a place name in Canada?
Immigration officers, suspicious of alleged residents short on documentation, will often ask, "what city do you live in," if the answer is TO RON TO, you get a grilling, if you say, "Trawna" you get waved through.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

kurashikisuzy is an unknown quantity at this point

As noted, Toronto is a great city to live in if perhaps a bit short on tourist sights. You have to remember Canada is a young country in comparison to the UK and small in comparison to our neighbour to the South. But the diversity of the people and access to culture is second-to-none. Sure, it's busy but what large city isn't? That's something that's known when moving to a dense area.

As for the natives, you may have run into the wrong ones during your lengthy two-day stay. Same could happen anywhere. Maybe two weeks isn't enough time to come to such a definitive conclusion.

Finally, born and raised in Toronto, I can tell you it's not terawna. It's ter-on-o. My two cents...
Old May 14th 2011, 12:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
Immigration officers, suspicious of alleged residents short on documentation, will often ask, "what city do you live in," if the answer is TO RON TO, you get a grilling, if you say, "Trawna" you get waved through.
Total bull.

Although at any Canadian POE, if you claim to live there, the hoarier old joke is that they'll ask you the telephone number for Pizza Pizza.
Old May 14th 2011, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Third6
I was staying on Church and Gerrard, right next to Jarvis and even the crackheads seemed nice haha.
In the hall of residence, north side, just west of the shwarma place or in the battered women's refuge on the northeast corner?
Old May 14th 2011, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I work there occasionally and hate that too, although I could see a brighter side being out on the lash for a few nights.
The rest of Canada hates Toronto, too. Joking (kind of)!!! As a Canadian, I agree with a previous poster who said that most N. American cities lack what European cities / towns have.
Old May 14th 2011, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

I work in TO, and can tell you that the best thing about it is the view I get from the rear view mirror, however, I also worked in london and again the best bit was the view as I left, the same for Manchester.

I use the city for my needs, and the country for my pleasure, and long may it continue.
Old May 14th 2011, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JamesM
Mmmmmm........the highway traffic in and around Toronto is not good.

But let's be honest there is like fifty times more stuff to do in Toronto than Calgary. Calgary should be twinned with Milton Keynes.
Milton Keynes has loads to do. However I totally see where you're going with the connection.
Old May 14th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

My limited experience of the place was not so great. But it was the people that swung it for me. Bunch of backstabbing wankers, who managed to get me fired from a job by making up bullshit about me, and making racial slurs against me, while protecting each other. I wouldn't piss on those people if they were on fire. They ****ed over my career and I've still not recovered from that. What's worse is that they used my demise to their gain. Bloody disgusting despicable people who I hope rot in hell. Apart from that seems a pretty decent place
Old May 14th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
In the hall of residence, north side, just west of the shwarma place or in the battered women's refuge on the northeast corner?
Yes, I'm clearly a battered women that would need the help and services of a women's refuge in Toronto...when I reside in Scotland. What gave it away?
Old May 14th 2011, 10:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Third6
Yes, I'm clearly a battered women that would need the help and services of a women's refuge in Toronto...when I reside in Scotland. What gave it away?
The improbability of having stayed in one of the university buildings, the art gallery or the head shop.
Old May 14th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
The improbability of having stayed in one of the university buildings, the art gallery or the head shop.
haha fair enough. Yeh, it was the Neill-Wysck place I stayed, absolute hole riddled with mice but the people that worked there were nice enough. It was actually still higher quality than the student halls I lived in in Glasgow.

I feel like Toronto is what you make of it, it's quirky and interesting. Never a dull moment and I like that. I was working at a music promotion and publicity company over there and it's definitely the city you wanna be in if you're into any sort of arts or creative industries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.