Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

i guess you are all awaiting a new and improved govt. in ottawa??

i guess you are all awaiting a new and improved govt. in ottawa??

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i guess you are all awaiting a new and improved govt. in ottawa??

Originally Posted by jimf
I've never heard Harper speak French - is he any good? Are the conservatives wasting their time in Quebec?
He manages. The conservatives are wasting their time elsewhere as well.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Of course those attitudes are not acceptable.

1. In the previous government was it the Harper strategy to make inroads in Quebec to get enough seats for an overall conservative majority? 2. Was that behind his "Quebec is a nation" initiative. 3. I've never heard Harper speak French - is he any good? 4. Are the conservatives wasting their time in Quebec?
answer is:

1. yes but it failed
2. yes, I suspect so
3. Yes, quite good in fact
4. Yes, as are the Liberals
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Better than Dion's Fra(gmented)nglais.

R.
agreed
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rich

I am in the UK at the moment but expect to be paying Canadian taxes shortly. I won't have the opportunity to vote on what happens to them but that's fine and just the way it is. What I have said about the payments is only what quite a few Canadians have said to me in much stronger terms. In fact when I've visited Ontario, Alberta and Manitoba I was quite suprised at the real tone of antipathy towards Quebec. If the Bloc really do have the leverage now and exploit it then that is hardly going to endear them to much of ROC.
What you heard is nonsense. it shows ignorance and prejudice.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
What you heard is nonsense. it shows ignorance and prejudice.
I'm beginning to like you more, mike.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
"62% of the population didn't vote for Conservatives".

90% of the voters didn't vote for BQ, 80% of the voters didn't vote for NDP and 74% of the voters didn't vote for Liberals.

And this is why this farce is about to happen. Perhaps it's a lesson to Canadian voters that they must actually turn out and vote. What happens when you submit passively? Well look at Zimbabwe.

Whether or not individuals like or dislike the French, are or aren't against the Quebecois separatists, the truth is still that an unpopular (and only temporarily-united) bunch of misfits is about to take advantage of a soft process to capture power. Shall we open a book now on how long before our three musketeers are at each other's throats?

Meanwhile the rest of the world will snigger behind their hands at the thought that a barely-intelligible (in either language) loser, despised by his own party, who has to stand aside anyhow in May, is supposed to stand as an equal on the world stage to an Obama or Putin.

Do we laugh with them, or weep?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
Meanwhile the rest of the world will snigger behind their hands at the thought that a barely-intelligible (in either language) loser, despised by his own party, who has to stand aside anyhow in May, is supposed to stand as an equal on the world stage to an Obama or Putin.
I think that's rather melodramatic. The position of Prime Minister of Canada is more comparable to that of Governor of Alaska or President of Belgium than it is to President of a superpower. The rest of the world isn't likely to notice.

Originally Posted by newshoney
Do we laugh with them, or weep?
I don't think we should get terribly excited, Canadian governments come and go without having any great impact upon us.

I think the worst thing for the country would be a government that had a set of policies and which passed legislation in futherance of those policies. I think that such actions are inevitably harmful and so prefer weak minority governments, dithering unstable coalitions, Senators who call in from resorts for their stipend, anything that minimizes the harm the government can do. Thus I'd like to see Harper drag things out until the New Year then call an election resulting in a minority or coalition; that would buy us two or three months of continued legislative inactivity, two or three months of Ottawa not buggering up the lives of the citizenry.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 3rd 2008 at 12:48 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

By the looks of it a provincial election has just been called in Quebec. Wasn't the last Quebec election in 2007. Canadian politicians must really like elections.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:34 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

By the looks of it a provincial election has just been called in Quebec. Wasn't the last Quebec election in 2007. Canadian politicians must really like elections.
the Quebec provincial election was called before Ottawa's issues came to a head (i.e. before Harper and Flaherty put forward their not-a-plan for financial recovery). In a similar vein to Harper's last administration, Jean Charest leads a minority government in Quebec and reckoned by calling a new election he stood a chance of gaining a functional majority in the Assemblée Nationale. That's pretty much what Harper did a few months ago - it didn't work for him and most commentary that I've heard thinks it is unlikely to work for Charest either.

On the crisis in Federal government, I can't get over the arrogance and hypocrisy of some Conservative politicians in trying to rubbish the opposition coalition. Harper himself entered an accord (in much the same way that the Lib/NDP coalition has proposed) with the Bloc in order to bring down Paul Martin's minority government in 2006, so forcing the election that brought him to power. And how they can possibly argue that the Lib/NDP coalition is somehow "undemocratic" while at the same time suggesting the best course of action is to prorogue Parliament for a couple of months simply beggars belief.

However, to echo dbd's point (why do I keep agreeing with him? Should I be worried?) I heard on last night's news that the US ambassador in Ottawa has not only not briefed the US administration on the situation but has no plans to bring it up at his forthcoming handover meeting in Washington. That's a fair indication of how little importance the rest of the world assigns to Canada's federal government.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Dec 3rd 2008 at 1:43 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:28 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
On the crisis in Federal government, I can't get over the arrogance and hypocrisy of some Conservative politicians in trying to rubbish the opposition coalition. Harper himself entered an accord (in much the same way that the Lib/NDP coalition has proposed) with the Bloc in order to bring down Paul Martin's minority government in 2006, so forcing the election that brought him to power. And how they can possibly argue that the Lib/NDP coalition is somehow "undemocratic" while at the same time suggesting the best course of action is to prorogue Parliament for a couple of months simply beggars belief.

However, to echo dbd's point (why do I keep agreeing with him? Should I be worried?) I heard on last night's news that the US ambassador in Ottawa has not only not briefed the US administration on the situation but has no plans to bring it up at his forthcoming handover meeting in Washington. That's a fair indication of how little importance the rest of the world assigns to Canada's federal government.
2004. See "other" thread.

Agreed. But also an indication of the irrelevance of the Bush administration.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

the Quebec provincial election was called before Ottawa's issues came to a head (i.e. before Harper and Flaherty put forward their not-a-plan for financial recovery). In a similar vein to Harper's last administration, Jean Charest leads a minority government in Quebec and reckoned by calling a new election he stood a chance of gaining a functional majority in the Assemblée Nationale. That's pretty much what Harper did a few months ago - it didn't work for him and most commentary that I've heard thinks it is unlikely to work for Charest either.

Why the urgent need now. Wait for the budget in January. The economy is not going to crash in one month. Its a power grab, plain and simple, and its the only way that Dion can govern as prime minister with Layton in cabinet.

All hail Larry, Curly and Mo.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:20 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm beginning to like you more, mike.
I like him too.

R.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:22 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on last night's news that the US ambassador in Ottawa has not only not briefed the US administration on the situation but has no plans to bring it up at his forthcoming handover meeting in Washington. That's a fair indication of how little importance the rest of the world assigns to Canada's federal government.
Canada: the quiet country.

R.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jancal
As a living in and voting Canadian I think you can safely say that they take everything they can when they can.
.....which is why English and French quebeckers alike vote for the Bloc, but not necessarily for the PQ. Of course you vote for a party that sticks up for your interests first.

I have been told by many Quebecois that voting Bloc doesn't mean you're a separatist, it means you want Quebec first.
OTOH, Voting PQ more or less is giving them a mandate to separate.

If there was a Pro-Ontario / Pro-Alberta party in either of those provinces, they would also assume a significant % of the votes.

Last edited by neill; Dec 3rd 2008 at 3:34 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:36 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by neill
If there was a Pro-Alberta party, they would also assume a significant % of the votes.
And indeed they do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.