Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I expect this is normal?

I expect this is normal?

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:08 am
Just Joined

YORKSHIRE LAD will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I expect this is normal?

We came here from the UK 8 years ago, to Ontario, but with a firm job and a 2 year WP. Now we are PR's and going for Citizenship this year.
If you think the M25 is bad, wait until you try to get around Vancouver. And you'll need $100 K minimum salary or you'll feel very skint. Van is a pricey place to live, according to my friends / colleagues out there.

I've been many times for work, but love Ontario...but we're all different.

Canada has an upside - nice folks, safe (at least where we live - but 7 shootings in Toronto last weekend!), cheaper housing (except in Vancouver!), cheaper petrol. Lovely summers and autumns.
Downsides? different social life, big place, expensive air fares internally (North America)...ie no Ryanair...flippin cold winter anywhere except BC.

Not for everyone, but we love it...but I'd never knock the UK...and remember - nowhere is utopia...

Just my twopenneth....
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I expect this is normal?

Originally Posted by YORKSHIRE LAD
If you think the M25 is bad, wait until you try to get around Vancouver.
As someone who used to commute around the M25 to work and now drives around Vancouver this is just not true. The only time you get M25 type congestion here is if there is an accident on one of the bridges/tunnel.

And you'll need $100 K minimum salary or you'll feel very skint. Van is a pricey place to live, according to my friends / colleagues out there.
$100k family income is considered the minimum if you want to buy in Vancouver proper. Rent, or buy in the suburbs, then $100k becomes a very good income.

...but we're all different.
And this is the truth.