Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I didn't realise that....

I didn't realise that....

Old May 26th 2006, 6:37 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I didn't realise that....

Originally Posted by H143
Never heard of loblaws either. Ok so maybe I am ignorant! lol. We live in a little Whistler bubble up here...no need to associate with the real world!

I wish I had a room for myself for 2010! I'm only here on a visitor visa right now and have to leave next week. Hopefully I'll get PR by 2010.
Loblaws supermarkets are an ON/QC thing. However, the Loblaws company owns lots of other brands. One of them is The Real Canadian Superstore. I bet you've heard of that. Loblaws also owns the No Frills chain.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Loblaws in ON = Real Canadian Superstore in the West = Atlantic Superstore in the East. I don't know if it is also Real Canadian Superstore in BC, but if you search for any of these you should find a site that gives you the BC name and locations.
Old May 26th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Yes we do have Real Canadian Superstore here in BC. Extra Foods is also the same company. Coast Capital also offer free banking. Their commercials on TV are quite funny. The customers start ripping out the carpets etc because someone says it's all free. I don't know if they are just a west coast bank.

To get back to the original thread, my teenage son didn't realise that.... having a Scottish accent makes you a babe magnet.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:03 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

I'll bet your son is loving it!

Another thing I didn't realise was how many meth addicts there are in Vancouver. In fact, before coming here I'd never heard of crystal meth. It's a sad sight to see so many people in such a bad way.
Old May 27th 2006, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

yes, if you drive down near gas town you can see them taking drugs in doorways. Even out here in the burbs it's bad. I saw a group of people taking drugs next to the car park at Home Hardware.

I also didn't realise there would be so many homeless people here. They run about the town on bikes. Apparently they were given them but half of them are stolen. We have a big problem here with them raking through your garbage and taking all the bottles and plastic for money. In the store where I work we've had to limit the amount they can bring in.
Old May 27th 2006, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

good evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to all

4. That they have so much great veggie food.

Where is this great veggie food you speak of? I'm stuck out here in rural Southwestern Ontario and apart from the obvious - veggies and fruit - I can only find THE most disgusting (dried) soya mince which stays bright pink no matter what I put with it! Yuck!! If there's one thing I miss it's Linda McCartney sossies....oh, and haloumi cheese (and lots of other stuff as well, but that's in another thread!). I've asked in various large supermarkets if they have haloumi and they don't know what I'm talking about - same thing when I enquired about fresh yeast as opposed to dry. So - if you have a secret stash of great veggie stuff - let me know, I'll be round
Old May 27th 2006, 5:01 am

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

The whole Yves Veggie range (plus a whole bunch of veggie restaurants in Vancouver but they won't be of much use to you! ). They do 3 flavours of 'ground beef', italian and bavarian 'sausages', veggie dogs, chili dogs, fake chicken, fake beef, turkey, salami, ham...in fact, why am I listing it? Check it out! - http://www.yvesveggie.com/ca/index.php

Apart from that I love the Soylicious (or whatever it's called) ice cream here!
Old May 27th 2006, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

good evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to all

Originally Posted by H143
The whole Yves Veggie range (plus a whole bunch of veggie restaurants in Vancouver but they won't be of much use to you! ). They do 3 flavours of 'ground beef', italian and bavarian 'sausages', veggie dogs, chili dogs, fake chicken, fake beef, turkey, salami, ham...in fact, why am I listing it? Check it out! - http://www.yvesveggie.com/ca/index.php

Apart from that I love the Soylicious (or whatever it's called) ice cream here!
Thanks H143 - I use the Yves veggie ground round - in fact made chilli tonight! The other stuff in the range? It only gets and OK from me; haven't seen the Bavarian sossies - may have alook for those.
Old May 27th 2006, 5:07 am

Yeah they need ketchup and pepper, but pretty good. I'm quite a fan of the veggie dogs. I didn't realise how healthy and full of protein they are!

Good luck finding some other stuff. If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Hayley
Old May 27th 2006, 5:17 am

Oh yes, what about Amy's products? Veggie pizzas, pies, burgers, soups. All pretty nice and healthy too. Also Boca burgers and a whole load of others. I mainly cook with tofu so don't actually buy them that often. Maybe I'll start a veggie in Canada post so we don't take over this one.
Old May 27th 2006, 11:24 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
One of my favourite things about Canadian money is defacing it:

and when there was a 1 dollar bill you could fold it in such as way that it said 'banane du Canada' and showed the queen. Can't find a piccie though!

Ro, you really should try and get out more often ..
Old May 27th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
One of my favourite things about Canadian money is defacing it:

and when there was a 1 dollar bill you could fold it in such as way that it said 'banane du Canada' and showed the queen. Can't find a piccie though!
ther used to be a combination of £5 and £10 notes that if you folded the two pictures of the queen you got a picture of john mcenroe

though the spock thing is better- live long and prosper
Old May 27th 2006, 3:59 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
ther used to be a combination of £5 and £10 notes that if you folded the two pictures of the queen you got a picture of john mcenroe

though the spock thing is better- live long and prosper
There used to be a £10 note that you could fold in such a way that the Queen was giving some anonymous bloke a BJ
Old May 27th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
There used to be a £10 note that you could fold in such a way that the Queen was giving some anonymous bloke a BJ
LMAO
Old May 27th 2006, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Mrs Cassidy gets Three

Use PC Finance then

Change plans then

Cant Help with that one sorry (I'm assured they do come to Calgary)

I guess that depends on your perception (People here are telling me Summer in Calgary sucks\People in Ontario claim they are too humid)

Doh!!

They take you away for talking to yourself

You obvioulsy arent in Alberta!!!!

OHHHHHH PLEASE try.
Off topic, but how do you do the split boxes to comment on bits of the thread, as you have done. Tried it once and it did not work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.