Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I've been with my current employer for well over 10 years and I've worked in offices in three countries.

The Canadian office is the dullest in terms of socializing etc - drinks after work are pretty much unheard of. However it's stress free and the dress code is reasonably relaxed (I'm sat in the office in jeans, hooded top and trainers) and the people I work with seem decent. As I said, my only real complaint is that it would be good to go for a couple of post-work beers occasionally.

Just realized that's OT - sorry
That was my experience here and in the US. In fact when I worked in the US the only ones who'd go out for an after work or heaven forbid a lunchtime bevy were UK or Irish employees. The Americans sat in their office until 8 o'clock trying to look busy.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:08 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That was my experience here and in the US. In fact when I worked in the US the only ones who'd go out for an after work or heaven forbid a lunchtime bevy were UK or Irish employees. The Americans sat in their office until 8 o'clock trying to look busy.
That's because of the British drinking culture. It just never developed here to the same extent, probably because of the absence of pubs/taverns. IMO too much of British life revolves around booze.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
That's because of the British drinking culture. It just never developed here to the same extent, probably because of the absence of pubs/taverns. IMO too much of British life revolves around booze.
Somewhere in between nothing and a 48 hour drunken bender isn't too much to ask tho is it?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you don't need to get bladdered every day but having the odd pint with your work mates is fun.

Last edited by Oink; Aug 11th 2009 at 6:18 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Yeah you don't need to get bladdered every day but having the off pint with your work mates is fun.
I'd rather have a fresh one
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd rather have a fresh one
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
That's because of the British drinking culture. It just never developed here to the same extent, probably because of the absence of pubs/taverns.
You're not thinking on Ontario surely? There's a long tradition of male only hard drinking bars, examples would be the Canada Tavern on Queen, the Mountie on Dundas, the Duke in Leslieville, the Scarborough House, the Brampton Tavern. Places where beer comes in tiny glasses but each person orders a tray, places akin to bars in Scotland.

Beyond that Canadians think of themselves as massive drinkers, drunk driving, drunk boating; the culture exemplified by Bob and Doug McKenzie, is the culture of the unhyphenated.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a big difference though I think between a bar (where people seem to go solely to get hammered) and a pub, where people go to meet friends, have a few pints, but mainly go to have fun, rather than get drunk...

Social bars seem in short supply here, but maybe thats just Belleville. Here the latter tend to exist primarily as eateries or sports bars, which rather kills the atmosphere...
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Theres a big difference though I think between a bar (where people seem to go solely to get hammered) and a pub, where people go to meet friends, have a few pints, but mainly go to have fun, rather than get drunk...
Agreed. I think that Ontario's tradition is bars rather than pubs.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Agreed. I think that Ontario's tradition is bars rather than pubs.
That's why we've moved to a boat (tightly secured to the dock) or the beach to have a pint and socialize.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:19 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're not thinking on Ontario surely? There's a long tradition of male only hard drinking bars, examples would be the Canada Tavern on Queen, the Mountie on Dundas, the Duke in Leslieville, the Scarborough House, the Brampton Tavern. Places where beer comes in tiny glasses but each person orders a tray, places akin to bars in Scotland.

Beyond that Canadians think of themselves as massive drinkers, drunk driving, drunk boating; the culture exemplified by Bob and Doug McKenzie, is the culture of the unhyphenated.
Lol. Very true of whole swathes of Glasgow and Edinburgh.