British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/i-cant-believe-623927/)

Madmac Aug 7th 2009 3:51 pm

Re: I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7822443)
Equivalent, but not the same. What do you know about Creation Science?

Oxymoron innit?

dbd33 Aug 7th 2009 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Madmac (Post 7822449)
Oxymoron innit?

In the UK.

triumphguy Aug 7th 2009 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7822443)
Equivalent, but not the same. What do you know about Creation Science?

:rofl:Like 99.98% of teachers give a flying whatever's notice of what the minister for education says? 99% of the time they think he's an idiot!

I think the OP would find that courses which are directly equivalent - eg., 20th Century British History, or "the Development of the Novel in English Literature," or "Advanced Calculus," would be treated as equal. However, "Philosphy of Ed," and practicums etc may not be.

I would talk to the registrar at the University.

Also, may I suggest that taking some of these courses again may re-energize you. Teaching and Canada may not be that much different, but you might be, and that might make a significant difference to what you get out of the courses.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Aviator Aug 7th 2009 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by zippadydoda (Post 7822408)
I am not going to let them dismiss my four years full time hard work at uni and one years probation on the job

I bet they are quaking at the thought!

No1_mom Aug 7th 2009 4:28 pm

http://emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/

not sure what this has to do with Teaching English though!!!!

Almost Canadian Aug 7th 2009 5:31 pm

It looks like Ontario is trying to assist:

http://www.langmichener.ca/index.cfm...id=10684&lid=0

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 8th 2009 3:30 am

Originally Posted by rae (Post 7822381)
no one is talking about this, its the recognition of skills that would lead directly to accrediting professionals and gaining licenses where required. are you seriously telling me that a brain surgeon in france has to start as an intern in canada because canadian brains are different somehow. <sets it up>

No brains are not different, but scope of practice could be, its not all about just the basic skill set that doesn't change, but scope of practice and other things do vary country to country, and these things need to be learned before anyone should be able to practice.

rae Aug 8th 2009 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 7823771)
No brains are not different, but scope of practice could be, its not all about just the basic skill set that doesn't change, but scope of practice and other things do vary country to country, and these things need to be learned before anyone should be able to practice.

but no one is talking about learning new skill sets that may set one country apart from another, we are talking about how transferable skills are not recognized because somehow everything is different in canada.

for instance, i have to take the most basic of investigator courses in order to advance here, even though i have already done all this, to the point where i was actually lecturing in it at the police college!! these are not differences in law or procedure, its basic what to do at a sudden death for instance, these things do not change. This kind of thing is what those affected have such a gripe about.

No1_mom Aug 8th 2009 3:41 pm

in this internet savvy world when we try to find out things our searches bring up answers from all over the world not just the country we are based in - people learn different methods of doing things but ultimatley the answer is nearly alwys the same - rather than making people retest they should give them the final exam first to see how they score - if they do not know the answers then fair enough make then retrain..

It is a bit like making some one sit the citizenship test to become a citizen - in many cases it ends up with the new citizen knowing more than those born here (I know a daft example but true!)

I know this should not come into it but it is such a strain to come to a country who has accepted your qualifications to gain entry to then have to find you have to study for an additional period of time at a considerable cost which sometimes means you can't even begin to earn an income - no wonder so many new residents end up in dead end jobs - they can't afford to do new courses after spending 3+ years back in their home country gaining the skills which they are being forced to learn.

I am sure all the surgeons, scientists etc, who get headhunted and travel world wide do not get forced to 'retrain' they were sought for the skills they allready have.

Oink Aug 8th 2009 4:24 pm

This doesn't happen in higher education. You is either good enough or not. You've either published good stuff or you ain't.

triumphguy Aug 8th 2009 4:41 pm

No1_mom.

You might think about applying to private schools (rather than public/state schools)- they have far more flexibility in hiring. Your English Education and training may be exactly what they are looking for.

dboy Aug 8th 2009 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 7824885)
but no one is talking about learning new skill sets that may set one country apart from another, we are talking about how transferable skills are not recognized because somehow everything is different in canada.

for instance, i have to take the most basic of investigator courses in order to advance here, even though i have already done all this, to the point where i was actually lecturing in it at the police college!! these are not differences in law or procedure, its basic what to do at a sudden death for instance, these things do not change. This kind of thing is what those affected have such a gripe about.

Don't think this is in the same vein as what others are saying. How long can a basic investigators course be? Ours is like 3 weeks or something, plus you get paid to take it and it doesn't cost anything.

Alan2005 Aug 8th 2009 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7825079)
Don't think this is in the same vein as what others are saying. How long can a basic investigators course be? Ours is like 3 weeks or something, plus you get paid to take it and it doesn't cost anything.

Maybe, but I think some of the complaint is that nobody likes to be told how to suck eggs. And if you have to pay to do it it's doubly annoying.

dboy Aug 8th 2009 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7825156)
Maybe, but I think some of the complaint is that nobody likes to be told how to suck eggs. And if you have to pay to do it it's doubly annoying.

Big difference than taking a short perhaps one work course (that is free and you get paid to take) than having to spend better part of 2 years and lots of expenses and time to re-do a degree. Think this example smacks of the proverbial apples to oranges scenario.

Alan2005 Aug 8th 2009 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7825198)
Big difference than taking a short perhaps one work course (that is free and you get paid to take) than having to spend better part of 2 years and lots of expenses and time to re-do a degree. Think this example smacks of the proverbial apples to oranges scenario.

I don't disagree with you. I would say that there is a tiny overlap in the sentiment even if the scale is several orders of magnitude out of whack.