Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by geedee
I met a Brit here who is a Ship's Cook. To be a Ship's Cook in the Uk you have to take some fairly rigorous training... not just in cooking, but firefighting, lifesaving etc. You need over a year to get the certificate.

It wasn't good enough for Canada, he had to "re-train".

It took about a week and he said it was the most p1ss poor course he's ever been on... embarrassingly simple..... but the "union" demanded it before he was allowed to work.
Yes, but what if he was a Ship's Cook from a third world country with no training? Then it would make sense wouldn't it - and they have to have the same rules for all immigrants.

Same as for the OP, although she's had great training, there will be other 'teachers' from different countries that have had next to no training - and if Canada let them work without going through the equivalency thing, then there would be an uproar!

They've got to be consistent and all immigrants have to go through the same thing, and I'd rather they overtested some then undertested others!

Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:24 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, but what if he was a Ship's Cook from a third world country with no training? Then it would make sense wouldn't it - and they have to have the same rules for all immigrants.

Same as for the OP, although she's had great training, there will be other 'teachers' from different countries that have had next to no training - and if Canada let them work without going through the equivalency thing, then there would be an uproar!

They've got to be consistent and all immigrants have to go through the same thing, and I'd rather they overtested some then undertested others!

The problem is the inconsistency between provincial jurisdictions though. In Ontario, my first UK degree gives me full credit plus one year (roughly) at Masters level. In BC, all I got was lower level credits, so I had to do another whole degree before I could work again. I can teach in the UK. I cannot teach here. My dog could have passed some of the courses I was forced to take on the second BC degree, they were utterly ridiculous, as was the overall dreadful standard of work being given A's and B's by the tutors. This second degree was necessary for me to work, and I can honestly say I never exercised a brain cell to pass anything apart from Math 104. I am just an average eighties UK graduate, no great intellect, and I was embarrassed to sit in the classes and listen to the twaddle going on.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
The problem is the inconsistency between provincial jurisdictions though. In Ontario, my first UK degree gives me full credit plus one year (roughly) at Masters level. In BC, all I got was lower level credits, so I had to do another whole degree before I could work again. I can teach in the UK. I cannot teach here. My dog could have passed some of the courses I was forced to take on the second BC degree, they were utterly ridiculous, as was the overall dreadful standard of work being given A's and B's by the tutors. This second degree is necessary for me to work, and I can honestly say I never exercised a brain cell to pass anything apart from Math 104. I am just an average eighties UK student, no great intellect, and I was embarrassed to sit in the classes.
Thats one of the downsides for provincial jurisdiction, but I doubt we can ever have all provinces agree to the same levels for everything.

It caught me off guard when one class I took a few months back and 60% was passing and a C, back in California 60% is a very low D, and only 1% above failing, 70% was the min. to count towards a degree in many subjects, and some programs required a passing of 80% (paramedic program I was in).

California's educational system is far from difficult, but what I have experienced in BC so far is easier then some high school courses I took in high school. ( one semester in HS I tuned in the same essay every assignment once I learned the teacher didn't actually read them but graded only on length, longer the essay, better the grade...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about

While certainly not wishing to do any Canada-bashing, there really is some appalling nationalism shown in many Canadian workplaces. While it may have started out as perfectly sensible restrictions on immigrants from nations where the qualifications aren't worth much, it seems to catch Brits out pretty well. There may even be a minority within some professional bodies who rather like the idea of confounding the old "colonial masters".

It probably doesn't help to say "the way we did it in Britain was....", to someone who may not realise that if they were overseas they'd be saying "the way we did it in Canada was...."!

The seniority system seems obviously and patently unfair to those of us used to a system where fairness in leave and shift allocation applies. It's probably something that came from the unions in the USA, and of course the unions in Canada and the USA were never "broken" the way they were under the Thatcher government in the UK.

In my part of the aviation world (air traffic control), there was a major hiring effort of experienced foreigners by the Canadian service provider a few years ago to make up for shortages caused by the difficulties in getting Canadian trainees through a system which is heavily controlled by the "old boys". Their managers were comparatively powerless. Brits in particular, and Aussies and at least one Norwegians, were judged against impossible standards but could never say out loud that different standards were applied to them.

Now that I'm working at the busiest airport in the Middle East, I have several Canadian colleagues, all but one of them (the incompetent one....) realising that their former colleagues back home have been grossly unfair to me and others like me!

A dentist friend of mine had been practicing for 3 years when he visited me in Canada. I urged him to find out what he'd need to do to be able to practice in Canada. The answer was another 2 years of college/university. Pretty darn silly...

My Canadian wife has just said that one of the things she dislikes about her homeland is that the safest place to give birth is a taxi. There's probably a doctor behind the wheel! She grew up in Alberta with a British doctor and a Japanese dentist, neither of whom would have been likely to move to Canada now!

This doesn't just affect Brits of course. As it happens, I'm not a fan of mass immigration to Canada and the creed of multiculturalism - I prefer the melting pot philosophy of the Americans. I don't want the social fabric of Canada to be altered so quickly that they lose what is special about the place and its people, but newcomers find it hard to become Canadian when their skills aren't appreciated. The practice of refusing foreign qualifications is one of the reasons behind the growth of ethnic enclaves, as people band together among those who actually will give them a fair go.

I'd rather live in a street with a representative mix of European stock and one or two Indian and Chinese families, preferably with everyones' kids joining in the street hockey games! Instead, when I bought a house my neighbours were all white. A few kilometers away in a very similar subdivision, my neighbours would have all been (East) Indian. I'm willing to bet it would have been a great neighbourhood, by I also knew that in Alberta it would be a poorer investment. And so the cycle of exclusion continues, abbetted by the official policy of multiculturalism and the unofficial policy of refusing foreign qualifications.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

I can sympathise! My husband is a trained secondary school teacher (3 year design degree plus 1 year PGCE), but now teaches vocational arts in FE college (for which you don't necessarily have to be teacher trained). We have looked at Alberta and Ontario requirements for teaching. Teach Alberta said a four year degree plus one year teacher training; Ontario said three plus one BUT need to be qualified to teach more than one age group. As you will know, UK teachers usually qualify to teach primary or secondary, not both. He also falls down with Alberta as he doesn't have 16 years of education - ony 15 as he was a mature student and never did A levels. Like you, he will need to do some additional study to qualify. He's thinking of just sticking with FE (no doubt we will find he needs something extra for that...). I guess that's not an option for you, as you are primary trained, but worth thinking about some of the other options some of the posters have suggested.

Unfortunately, we are all stuck with the rules (when in Rome...) and have to play ball. As a legal secretary, I am told I am unlikely to get work unless I have some experience of working in a Canadian law firm (not sure how l can get that unless they give me a job...)
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Thats one of the downsides for provincial jurisdiction, but I doubt we can ever have all provinces agree
That's what Red Seal is about for trades training.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I've had the good training and should not get caught up in the net like those who haven't!!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

On The Other Hand:

The professional/trade requirements are just a filter - don't take it personally (as I did in the past).

Canada has lots of people looking to start their own careers, who have been through all the hoops here. Yes, Canada needs immigrants, but...

A. It needs to know they satisfy certain standards.
B. Yes, British, UK, requirements may be good enough, or better, but, "Says who?"

If Canada allowed UK immigrants carte blanche to apply for any job, because the UK is better, then what about Australia, NZ, commonwealth countries, other English speakng countries, French speaking countries.,,,, etc. Where do they stop. They can't even open that door! It would smack of racism too.

c. It's not just if you are good enough.... I'm sure you are. But do you know federal and provincial legislation as it pertains your your intended job? As a teacher, do you know, and understand the provincial curriculum enough to teach to that curriculum? Do you understand what a principal from Calgary calls the "jigsaw" strategy? You might have a better name for it in England, but do you know THAT name?

Little things are different here: we drive on the wrong side, the light switches are upside down!

I'm sure Canadian kids are dumb in comparison to UK kids, and that Canadian University courses are a joke in comparison to the UK (slightly sarcastic tone), but when you come here you are competing with Canadian kids, and people from Canadian Universities who are completely familiar with the way of doing things here.

And BTW the education system in Alberta ranks right at the top on many international scales.

Finally, if I hadn't quit Law because of the hoops my life today would have been totally different. Many positive experiences and relationships would have been missed.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by triumphguy
On The Other Hand:

The professional/trade requirements are just a filter - don't take it personally (as I did in the past).

Canada has lots of people looking to start their own careers, who have been through all the hoops here. Yes, Canada needs immigrants, but...

A. It needs to know they satisfy certain standards.
B. Yes, British, UK, requirements may be good enough, or better, but, "Says who?"

If Canada allowed UK immigrants carte blanche to apply for any job, because the UK is better, then what about Australia, NZ, commonwealth countries, other English speakng countries, French speaking countries.,,,, etc. Where do they stop. They can't even open that door! It would smack of racism too.

c. It's not just if you are good enough.... I'm sure you are. But do you know federal and provincial legislation as it pertains your your intended job? As a teacher, do you know, and understand the provincial curriculum enough to teach to that curriculum? Do you understand what a principal from Calgary calls the "jigsaw" strategy? You might have a better name for it in England, but do you know THAT name?

Little things are different here: we drive on the wrong side, the light switches are upside down!

I'm sure Canadian kids are dumb in comparison to UK kids, and that Canadian University courses are a joke in comparison to the UK (slightly sarcastic tone), but when you come here you are competing with Canadian kids, and people from Canadian Universities who are completely familiar with the way of doing things here.

And BTW the education system in Alberta ranks right at the top on many international scales.

Finally, if I hadn't quit Law because of the hoops my life today would have been totally different. Many positive experiences and relationships would have been missed.

I take your point but am still feeling a little raw at the moment. I agree also that I would have to become familiar with Canadian policies etc. I have already taken steps to learn about Canadian history. I wouldn't expect a Canadian to know all about English history etc.

That is totally different to having to retake a whole new degree though!!!

I love your last point BTW. I am more than willing to turn my hand to any other job (have not always been a teacher, did a bit of living first!!). As long as we can get by and spend quality time with family and friends and have our health, that's the life for me.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed that yo are in St. ALbert - not that I know the ED system in St. Alberta - but they are fairly small. Why not talk to them - try and get face to face - and see if you can get their input. They might be helpful. Right now there's a shortage of teachers in Alberta.

When I started teaching I applied all over the province and my first job offer was in Fort Chipewyan in northern Alberta. There were no jobs in Calgary - well there was one. The same day I was offered a job teaching street kids, and kids just out of jail. For some reason the job had been open for months and no-one had applied I took it. I stayed there four years.

Good luck with whatever you may do.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Hope you don't mind me asking, but why do you have to take another whole degree when they have awarded you 90 hour semester credits?

I don't actually understand what hour semester credits are - could you explain? This may be something we have to go through, hence the interest!

What specifically have they told you to do to qualify? And what is it going to cost you?!!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Question Re: I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Let's NOT forget that when some immigrants apply under skilled worker category, Canada accepts them on the basis of their education and work experience. BUT once they are in the country, they are told they have to re-take new degrees, etc....

:
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Well a quick explanation. Semesters are two terms. Each course within a semester is awarded a set about of credit based on seat time. For example, Intro to philosophy may get you three credits, where as a physical science course with a lab component may get you four. A degree is awarded when a sufficient amount of credits have been gained within specific courses. Teaching degree's in N.A. as do other 'professional' degrees, have a practical requirement. Student teaching for example.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

RE: taking/upgrading the degree.

Though my law degree wasn't acceptable, I was awarded about a year of university credits. I put them towards the Education degree, and worked in a prison while I attended University full time, including spring and summer semesters. I was able to complete the next required 3 years in about 20 months, including practicums.

That was a fairly busy time!

RE:
Let's NOT forget that when some immigrants apply under skilled worker category, Canada accepts them on the basis of their education and work experience. BUT once they are in the country, they are told they have to re-take new degrees, etc....
At least it got you into the country! Many people don't.

BTW working in prison, allowed me to apply for a number of scholarships, as did my grades! My university courses were practically free by the time I added up the awards and the tax write off.

Last edited by triumphguy; Aug 6th 2009 at 7:12 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
RE: taking/upgrading the degree.

BTW working in prison, allowed me to apply for a number of scholarships, as did my grades! My university courses were practically free by the time I added up the awards and the tax write off.
I did all my graduate work in the US. Two masters and a PhD. and with all three, the tuition was not only paid for by the respective universities, they actually paid me quite a livable wage just babble on about inane stuff to uninterested but attractive undergraduate girls.
You got to work the system baby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.