Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, but what if he was a Ship's Cook from a third world country with no training? Then it would make sense wouldn't it - and they have to have the same rules for all immigrants.

They've got to be consistent and all immigrants have to go through the same thing, and I'd rather they overtested some then undertested others!
No they don't, the professional bodies could simply accredit qualifications from certain institutions (i.e., law degrees from Oxbridge, medical degrees from Edinburgh) the reason they don't is pure protectionism. It's far easier for them to say that "everyone is treated the same" when, quite clearly, they are not.

For example, Ontario lawyers can requalify in Alberta by simply stating that they will read the Alberta Bar Admission Course Materials. A Canadian law degree is virtually identical to an English law degree (so little that it doesn't matter) as it is based on English Common Law. Ontario legal procedure is as different from Alberta legal procedure as Alberta legal procedure is from English legal procedure. So why not simply allow English lawyers to be admitted to the Alberta Bar by allowing them to state that they will read the Bar Admission Course Materials.

Having said that, now I have been through it it is great to be able to say (with actual knowledge) that their training is totally and utterly inferior to the training I had in England. It's not a question of "the English are superior to the Canadians" it is a simple fact. After a law degree here, Alberta lawyers undergo a year of Articles, during which time they write the Bar Exam (an assignment a week for approximately 6 months). After a law degree in England, solicitors spend another year at University full time writing pratical exams, and then spend another 2 years "Articling"
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: I Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by triumphguy
RE:

Let's NOT forget that when some immigrants apply under skilled worker category, Canada accepts them on the basis of their education and work experience. BUT once they are in the country, they are told they have to re-take new degrees, etc.... .
At least it got you into the country! Many people don't.
Excuse me!!!

The honest attitude would be to tell/warn people from the start when they are putting their immigration application that their degrees will not be accepted (or they need to re-qualify) even if they are from Western countries such as UK...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember anything on the skilled worker application forms saying that all my UK qualifications would be accepted in Canada on a like of like basis.

I don't see there is anything dishonest about it.

Having said that, in many cases in the UK a degree is a degree is a degree. If a job requires a graduate and you have a degree then you pass that bar. A UK degree is accepted more or less the same in Canada. If the job specifies a graduate and you have a degree form a UK university then you also pass that bar.

The issue here is with vocational, not academic, qualifications. I agree that it seems tough if you come from a highly educated background in the western world. But, you have to look at it from the provinces' point of view. They are mandated with maintaining standards in the professions and trades and how can they do this unless they set standards and ensure they are met?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Professional accreditation and qualification should always optional otherwise it's protectionism. It's up to the user to check that the lawyer, teacher, doctor (or whoever) is any good before they use/employ them. You individually may sensibly decide that you will only see a doctor with medical training for xyz country/place, but that doesn't mean that it should be illegal for everyone else to see who they wish.

Edit to remove quote: wasn't specifically aimed at Jonboy - just his was the last post

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 7th 2009 at 12:18 am.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:28 am
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

what really annoys me about the whole process is the fact that to be able to emigrate you have to supply CIC with all your educational documents, work experience etc and they decide you suitable to emigrate to Canada (I know they say something about it not guaranteeing acceptability in Canada but!!) - why then once you land here are your actual qualifications not accepted by the employers. I may be bias but I am positive the UK education system is far superior to Canada's - I taught at university level and trained as a teacher in Scotland - my PGCE class included 20% Canadian students - who said once they completed that course they just had to do a small additional component.

MY husband is ex-forces (with vastly superior skills to the Canadian forces) and a PhD in Micro Electronics from Glasgow University - he tried to get into the Canadian forces and got turned down - he even went as far up as the Defence Minister - who said PR status could be accepted if they had special skills the forces could use - my husband was part of the SAS - the most elite force in the world. He tried for jobs in the Electronic field and was told he had to get certified and do additional courses - they even wanted him to do geology as part of it - remember it was MICRO ELECTRONICS!!!!

People will be fed up hearing this I have wrote so many posts to highlight the problems we face - but he has ended up in a Rogers Call Centre. Thankfully we have now moved to London so I hope things will improve.

Would it change my mind about emigrating - no, we are the newcomers and have to compete for jobs with Canadian Citizens. Unlike the UK though when we get turned down for a job, we do not then claim racism for not getting it - we love Canada and just have to adapt to the process - however crazy it is.

Good luck and I hope you do not give up - just adapt and I am sure you will find the job of your dreams .
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:04 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't remember anything on the skilled worker application forms saying that all my UK qualifications would be accepted in Canada on a like of like basis.

I don't see there is anything dishonest about it.

Having said that, in many cases in the UK a degree is a degree is a degree. If a job requires a graduate and you have a degree then you pass that bar. A UK degree is accepted more or less the same in Canada. If the job specifies a graduate and you have a degree form a UK university then you also pass that bar.

The issue here is with vocational, not academic, qualifications. I agree that it seems tough if you come from a highly educated background in the western world. But, you have to look at it from the provinces' point of view. They are mandated with maintaining standards in the professions and trades and how can they do this unless they set standards and ensure they are met?
There is also academic discrimination. A levels are for most Arts subjects, above Grade 12 standard by miles. (I am not a science based individual, so would not presume to comment on science subjects). If you have a good UK Arts degree, and then compare the same major to one here (as I have done) the difference in standards and depth of subject matter is astounding. Yet semi literate, basically below average students are being given passing credits for courses that are 100% multiple choice. These are courses that should involve some form of demonstration that a student can string a coherent sentence together, has understood the text and can develop critical and analytical thoughts on paper. Anyone can pass a multiple choice exam - and some of these exams are even open book! Universities then have the cheek to say your three year UK degree, which in fact in study hours, is longer than their six-months-a year but four year effort, is not equivalent and you cannot enter XYZ.

Failing to accept equivalencies is nothing but protectionism and a handy cash cow. I just sent my boss an email today to express my disgust at having to teach a Masters candidate how to spell, to write basic legal papers, to write business letters, to make appropriate use of language and grammar in her reports... She gets paid nearly $25/hr more than I do, as she is an intern, and is as thick as a plank. Her degrees are Canadian, all from BC.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:17 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, but what if he was a Ship's Cook from a third world country with no training? Then it would make sense wouldn't it - and they have to have the same rules for all immigrants.

Same as for the OP, although she's had great training, there will be other 'teachers' from different countries that have had next to no training - and if Canada let them work without going through the equivalency thing, then there would be an uproar!

They've got to be consistent and all immigrants have to go through the same thing, and I'd rather they overtested some then undertested others!

what utter rubbish, who mentioned anything to do with this, the o/p is addressing certifications from universities most probably far in advance of most north america has to offer, at least on a par. when you finally get here and actually experience this kind of thing first hand perhaps you will have some empathy instead of a terrible and useless analogy.

if its any comfort to the o/p this kind of thing is endemic across the emergency services too, from dr.'s, nurses, paramedics, firefighters and police officers i deal with, all very well and even over qualified in their trade and all required to do it all again here, when its quite obvious that the skill transfers seamlessly. stick with it is the best on offer. best of luck.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rae
what utter rubbish, who mentioned anything to do with this, the o/p is addressing certifications from universities most probably far in advance of most north america has to offer, at least on a par. when you finally get here and actually experience this kind of thing first hand perhaps you will have some empathy instead of a terrible and useless analogy.

if its any comfort to the o/p this kind of thing is endemic across the emergency services too, from dr.'s, nurses, paramedics, firefighters and police officers i deal with, all very well and even over qualified in their trade and all required to do it all again here, when its quite obvious that the skill transfers seamlessly. stick with it is the best on offer. best of luck.
Thanks for that Rae! I am not going to give in without a fight. They will be so fed up of me pestering them they will eventually credit it me with what I deserve!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Professional accreditation and qualification should always optional otherwise it's protectionism. It's up to the user to check that the lawyer, teacher, doctor (or whoever) is any good before they use/employ them. You individually may sensibly decide that you will only see a doctor with medical training for xyz country/place, but that doesn't mean that it should be illegal for everyone else to see who they wish.

Edit to remove quote: wasn't specifically aimed at Jonboy - just his was the last post
I personally for one would not want to be in a country where doctors especially and certain other professionals are not required to be accredited and/or licensed by governing body.

While the basic medical skills may transfer with little issues, there are differences that dont transfer so easily, such as scope of practice may differ from one jurisdiction to another.

My paramedic class in California spent a decent amount of time on just legal aspects specific to California and San Diego, and while the medical skills are essentially the same, these legal aspects can vary sometimes a good amount.

(This was all in the early 2000's and I am no longer certified nor current so not sure what its like these days.)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 7th 2009 at 9:58 am.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about

In the case of doctors, nurses and teachers, there are enough people in those professions in most if not all provinces, from most if not all major countries from which people immigrate (including the UK), to find out from them what they actually needed to know when the moved to Canada, and what was unnecessary repetition of previous learning.

From that knowledge, it would be entirely possible to put together "difference courses", teaching what it is really needed to convert previous experience and knowledge to Canadian practice.

That's really not so different in concept to the one year course that non-law graduates can take in England (not in Scotland - it takes longer there) to give them parity with law graduates, or the graduate conversion course for trainee chartered accountants with non-relevant degrees, or the type rating courses that pilots take to convert from one aircraft to another.

In the case of pilots with foreign licenses, Transport Canada does not require them to start from scratch! Their flying hours are taken on a one-for-one basis, and they simply have to complete a medical, an exam on aviation law and a flight test at the appropriate level.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Excuse the break here, but there have been a few posts concerning the quality or otherwise of Canadian education. It's a line I haven't wished to follow, largely due to my not having any direct experience of the Canadian education system.

If my wife is an example of the Alberta school system though, then it would seem to be pretty good! More important though are the parents, and she is a smarta*se from a family of smarta*ses.

My experience of the UK system includes non-state primary and secondary education, tertiary (first degree) education in the early-90s and tertiary (higher degree) education in the mid-90s. I do think education standards have slipped in the UK, and I also think parents in many (especially urban) areas take far too little interest in their kids' education. One thing which is DEFINITELY better in Canada is CIVIC education. Despite an end to the teaching of history as a separate subject (and the usual political correctness, "let's call Louis Riel a hero", "je ne me souvien pas what happened on the Plains of Abraham in 1759", etc etc), Canadian children tend to be more respectful of their elders and more patriotic (yet not jingoistic like the Y'Alls) than their British counterparts. In essence, they are taught to be citizens.

We don't have kids yet, but when/if we do they will benefit from parents who ask them what they did at school today, and who give them plenty of books to read taking them beyond the curriculum. Whether or not we have the money to educate them privately (and if we were in the UK, I wouldn't wish it any other way...), I for one would prefer them to have a Canadian education and upbringing.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:53 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zippadydoda
Thanks for that Rae! I am not going to give in without a fight. They will be so fed up of me pestering them they will eventually credit it me with what I deserve!!!!
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Canada/Alberta is not exactly short of teachers/Canadian teaching college graduates.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clay Buster
We don't have kids yet, but when/if we do they will benefit from parents who ask them what they did at school today, and who give them plenty of books to read taking them beyond the curriculum. Whether or not we have the money to educate them privately (and if we were in the UK, I wouldn't wish it any other way...), I for one would prefer them to have a Canadian education and upbringing.
If you are concerned to be able to compare the high school education of specific children in Canada with that of children in other parts of the world send them to an ib school (www.ibo.org). Easy.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:29 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I personally for one would not want to be in a country where doctors especially and certain other professionals are not required to be accredited and/or licensed by governing body.
no one is talking about this, its the recognition of skills that would lead directly to accrediting professionals and gaining licenses where required. are you seriously telling me that a brain surgeon in france has to start as an intern in canada because canadian brains are different somehow. <sets it up>
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Canada/Alberta is not exactly short of teachers/Canadian teaching college graduates.
I'm, not saying I am going to get a job! Just that I am not going to let them dismiss my four years full time hard work at uni and one years probation on the job (which you have to pass before you can teach in UK. ) It is deffinately equivalent to Alberta's training!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zippadydoda
It is deffinately equivalent to Alberta's training!!!!!!!!
Equivalent, but not the same. What do you know about Creation Science?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.