Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I became a Canadian today!!!

I became a Canadian today!!!

Old Dec 19th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I became a Canadian today!!!

Just want to ad my congratulations.......
Old Dec 19th 2009, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Just want to ad my congratulations.......
Thank you Penny - I appreciate it!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I think there is some room for interpretation here...

If I'm filling in a form, and their is a space for citizenship, I will choose to write either British or Canadian (depending on which passport I have with me). I am legally BOTH British and Canadian.

Whether I FEEL British or Canadian comes down to personal preference. There may be weightings as far as other people are concerned (i.e. if you are born here you are somehow more of a Canadian than someone who immigrated), but my personal opinion is that is crap. The legal definition is what matters, there are no degrees of "Canadianism".

One of my pet peeves is to stereotype someone based on the country they were born in - "All Brits are this", "All Canadians are that" - there may be cultural differences, but at the end of the day it's down to the individual. The individuals we know in Canada are an extremely caring, funny group of people who are anything but bland, and on the flip side, most of the other British people we have met in Canada are whiny, boring tools...but again, that's just my opinion.

So congrats to the original poster - whether you feel Canadian or not, that is the end to a bureaucratic nightmare, and you should celebrate that at the very least!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TrishB
Yaaaaay! The final piece in the immigration jigsaw!!!
Hey Trish, I'd like to add my congrats... 13 months start to finish. So I should get mine April.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:14 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Me too... CONGRATULATIONS I mean!

...and I don't believe some of the comments of this thread. Completely out of place! If I could give BAD karma I jolly well would!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Just wanted to pass on my huge congrats to Trish for placing the final puzzle peice in the immigration jigsaw! WELL DONE!

I think the whole thread has lost its point and purpose. Pgtips totally stole your thunder IMO. I too don't agree with his opinion but respect it as everyone is entitled to theirs.

Again, congrats Trish

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Me too... CONGRATULATIONS I mean!

...and I don't believe some of the comments of this thread. Completely out of place! If I could give BAD karma I jolly well would!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to all those who offered their congratulations! I wasn't intending for my posting to be taken apart and the semantics and wording to be analysed in such depth.
As I said, I became a Canadian - that does not mean that I totally disregard where I came from or my previous life experiences, but I see it as a way forward into the future.

Here endeth this thread!!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Then IGNORE the thread they started No need to rain on their parade eh.
I would say Oink's comments are a violation of site rule 4 and to some extent 1. And not for the first time. It is shame that despite putting this poster on my ignore list the comments still appear in quotes.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Thank you to all those who offered their congratulations! I wasn't intending for my posting to be taken apart and the semantics and wording to be analysed in such depth.
As I said, I became a Canadian - that does not mean that I totally disregard where I came from or my previous life experiences, but I see it as a way forward into the future.

Here endeth this thread!!
Sorry Trish, but I would like to add this:
If it's good enough for the Canadian Government to say Trish is now Canadian, why isn't it good enough for some of the people who wrote on this thread?
Let's face it - none of us are real Canadian. Real Canadians are First Nations. But Trish has chosen to make Canada her home and her adopted nationality.

Me? I'm Welsh by birth, Canadian by choice. So there.
Trish - when's the next Ottawa get-together? We have something to celebrate.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 7:52 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats Trish.. If it makes you happy that's all that really matters, Well done.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snave
Sorry Trish, but I would like to add this:
If it's good enough for the Canadian Government to say Trish is now Canadian, why isn't it good enough for some of the people who wrote on this thread?
Let's face it - none of us are real Canadian. Real Canadians are First Nations. But Trish has chosen to make Canada her home and her adopted nationality.

Me? I'm Welsh by birth, Canadian by choice. So there.
Trish - when's the next Ottawa get-together? We have something to celebrate.
How 'bout sometime in January - skating on the canal (like 'proper' Canadians ) with drinks/snacks/dinner or sumfink afterwards? Or maybe just drinks/snakcs/dinner
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Trish,well done and congratulations for becoming a Canadian
Yoong
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

How 'bout sometime in January - skating on the canal (like 'proper' Canadians ) with drinks/snacks/dinner or sumfink afterwards? Or maybe just drinks/snakcs/dinner
You're on. Now how do we get in touch with Wannabe?
Old Dec 19th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snave
You're on. Now how do we get in touch with Wannabe?
Oh don't worry about that ... I have a hotline to her!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Congrats Trish.. If it makes you happy that's all that really matters, Well done.
Exactly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.