Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical Drivers Licence query

Hypothetical Drivers Licence query

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

scotty71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hypothetical Drivers Licence query

OK from reading on here and the Ontario Drivers licence site it seems that it is pretty straightforward to swap a UK licence for an ON one.

If I were to do this and then went to Nova Scotia, say a couple of months later, where they don't exchange UK licences, but expect you to take a drivers test after 90 days, could I exchange the ON licence for NS one? Or would they expect you to have held a Canadian licence from another province for a certain amount of time?

Just a thought ...:-)
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:13 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hypothetical Drivers Licence query

Originally Posted by scotty71
OK from reading on here and the Ontario Drivers licence site it seems that it is pretty straightforward to swap a UK licence for an ON one.

If I were to do this and then went to Nova Scotia, say a couple of months later, where they don't exchange UK licences, but expect you to take a drivers test after 90 days, could I exchange the ON licence for NS one? Or would they expect you to have held a Canadian licence from another province for a certain amount of time?

Hi Scotty
As far as i know they will just do a swap, i asked when i took my test in NS a few weeks ago and thats what the lady at DMV said. Fwiw, the NS driving test is a peice of cake.
HTH
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:06 pm
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'll let you know in about a months time as it's what we are planning to do!!!

regards

MCC
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

We did this, swapped UK licenses in Ontario in Feb with the end goal of swapping those in Manitoba in May.

All worked out just fine and dandy! You're obviously not supposed to have a license somewhere you're not resident, but I could live with this on my consience as we handed in our UK ones, it wasn't like I was keeping two and trying to hide something dodgy. But obviously it's not "right" so be aware of this when you do it. You also need a mailing address in Ontario, they don't give you the photocard on the spot, only a paper temporary license. We were not aware of this and gave the hotel address (Delta Chelsea, 1000+ rooms, not talking about a small intimate B&B where there was a good chance of getting something forwarded!) and then were really worried we'd never get the licenses. Thankfully, their business centre was wonderful. A couple of emails and phonecalls and they held them for us for 3mths until we returned. Amazingly lucky!!!

One other thing to check - when swapping in Manitoba, you had to have held your current license (i.e. the Ontario one) for a period of 3mths. This worked out fine for us as we swapped the weekend Mr B landed, then returned to the UK for almost 3mths, then moved to Manitoba. We were a few days shy of the 3mth mark when we swapped but nobody asked.

In hindsight, it was the best 75 CAD I've ever spent. No test, got instant merit point for provincial swap meaning 25% saving on (already reasonable!) Manitoba public insurance, and the 75 CAD Ontario license fee is refundable if you send them a copy of your new license!!! Also Manitoba messed up and took me out of the graduated license program which I had been in in Ontario as I'd only had my UK one for 9mths at that point. Bonus
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

scotty71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Biiiink .. and others .. no prob having an Ontario adress as my Canadian partner's folks live there .. just need to check out if there's a period of time in NS that you have to have held an Ontario licence ..

Interesting that they only give a paper licence there to begin with .. when my partner traded in NS she got a real one within 5 mins .. when she talked to the licensing people on the phone on the phone they were going to make her take a test cos she'd been in the UK for 3 years and had a UK licence, having traded in the ON licence here, so instead of producing the UK licence she said she'd lost the ON one .. they could still find her on the computer so .....:-)

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
We did this, swapped UK licenses in Ontario in Feb with the end goal of swapping those in Manitoba in May.

All worked out just fine and dandy! You're obviously not supposed to have a license somewhere you're not resident, but I could live with this on my consience as we handed in our UK ones, it wasn't like I was keeping two and trying to hide something dodgy. But obviously it's not "right" so be aware of this when you do it. You also need a mailing address in Ontario, they don't give you the photocard on the spot, only a paper temporary license. We were not aware of this and gave the hotel address (Delta Chelsea, 1000+ rooms, not talking about a small intimate B&B where there was a good chance of getting something forwarded!) and then were really worried we'd never get the licenses. Thankfully, their business centre was wonderful. A couple of emails and phonecalls and they held them for us for 3mths until we returned. Amazingly lucky!!!

One other thing to check - when swapping in Manitoba, you had to have held your current license (i.e. the Ontario one) for a period of 3mths. This worked out fine for us as we swapped the weekend Mr B landed, then returned to the UK for almost 3mths, then moved to Manitoba. We were a few days shy of the 3mth mark when we swapped but nobody asked.

In hindsight, it was the best 75 CAD I've ever spent. No test, got instant merit point for provincial swap meaning 25% saving on (already reasonable!) Manitoba public insurance, and the 75 CAD Ontario license fee is refundable if you send them a copy of your new license!!! Also Manitoba messed up and took me out of the graduated license program which I had been in in Ontario as I'd only had my UK one for 9mths at that point. Bonus
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that they only give a paper licence there to begin with ..
The Ontario one's swish, holgrams etc, probably takes a little time to produce

The Manitoba one (issued in 5mins) looks like a library card circa 1983 - homemade and laminated. And annoyingly comes in two parts, photocard and paper, like the current UK license.

Good luck with your swap
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

Anyone know if this will work in BC? Looking at the way my house sale is (not) going, I may need to land and come back...and if I don't get my licence straightaway, my UK one will run out before I land for real!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by allie2
Anyone know if this will work in BC? Looking at the way my house sale is (not) going, I may need to land and come back...and if I don't get my licence straightaway, my UK one will run out before I land for real!
Hi,

No it doesn't work in BC, we landed in June and i had to sit a theory and road test. The other thing is that they don't accept the proof of PR piece of paper that immigration give you back with your passport. You can't do anything until you have your proper PR card.

The theory test you don't need an appointment for, you can walk in and do this - costs $15. You have to get 40 out of 50 questions right. If you go into your local ICBC before you get your PR card they have the equivalent of the highway code just sitting on the counter. It is free so you can take a copy and start learning.

The road test you have to book in advance. I was lucky and got a cancellation in July. My husband doesn't have his road test for another 4 weeks. The road test is another $50. When you pass it is $31 for the licence. they give you a temporary paper one and the credit card size one comes in the mail 3 weeks later.

The good news is that you can buy a car using a UK driving licence as proof of your driving experience.

Louise
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It usually makes sense to renew your UK licence before you leave the UK.

Jeremy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
It usually makes sense to renew your UK licence before you leave the UK.

Jeremy
If you need t renew your UK licence, does that mean that you only have a provisional? My full licence doesn't expire until 2037 - when I'm 70.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

I don't need to renew my UK licence, but its only valid for 3 months from landing...sooo...I was hoping to swap it in a province that allowed just swapping, and then when I move over for real, swap it for a BC one, like Biiiiink was able to do.

It seems bizarre that people moving from another province have to retake their driving test??
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

I don't need to renew my UK licence, but its only valid for 3 months from landing...sooo...I was hoping to swap it in a province that allowed just swapping, and then when I move over for real, swap it for a BC one, like Biiiiink was able to do.

It seems bizarre that people moving from another province have to retake their driving test??
Here in New Brunswick it`s so simple. Enter a "Service New Brunswick" office.
Surrender your valid UK one. Show proof of address at present. Smile for pic`. Your new credit card type of licence is prepared there before one`s very eyes!
Pay ya money, it`s pennies!!! Stroll out and away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Any commercial drivers? You will lose all your comm` parts, but the good news is here in NB you can drive any two axle vehicle with your car licence.
I fancy driving a Fire truck tommorrow!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:41 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
The other thing is that they don't accept the proof of PR piece of paper that immigration give you back with your passport. You can't do anything until you have your proper PR card.
Yikes Louise. I heard PR cards were taking something like 5 weeks to come through ? That seems to add to the pressure of taking the driving test within 3 months huh ? And you can't even take the theory test til the PR card is in-hand ?

Rich.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They don't afaik, I think all provinces swap Canadian and US licenses.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:45 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Yikes Louise. I heard PR cards were taking something like 5 weeks to come through ? That seems to add to the pressure of taking the driving test within 3 months huh ? And you can't even take the theory test til the PR card is in-hand ?

Rich.
In NS you don't need your PR or anything except your UK driving licence. I only had to show my UK licence, they gave it back to me and i was expecting them to keep it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.