Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Husbands Customs faux pas

Husbands Customs faux pas

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:18 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

khuppe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Husbands Customs faux pas

My Canadian husband has just stressed me out further today as when he arrived back to Canada in May he forgot to mention that we had a small consignment of personal belongings being shipped from Northern Ireland. I got an email today to confirm that the shipment should be in Calgary for 8th July so when I rang my hubby and was chatting he said he wasnt asked so he didnt mention it.

Please can someone help me as I am totally stressed out now by idiot husbands faux pas as the last thing we need is another hold up. Is there somewhere I can get him to email or call.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:33 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husbands Customs faux pas

What's to worry about?

He's a returning Canadian and can just declare everything when he picks it up from the clearance house.

Confused over what the issue could be
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:54 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
What's to worry about?

He's a returning Canadian and can just declare everything when he picks it up from the clearance house.

Confused over what the issue could be
As a returning Canadian, he would have to pay import duty on it. That's where the problem lies.

Ideally, when a Canadian is returning to Canada and bringing a non-Canadian spouse with him/her (either on the same flight or following on a later flight), as many possessions as possible should be on the Goods To Follow list of the non-Canadian spouse.

If a Canadian resident leaves Canada, he/she is supposed to lodge with Canada Border Services Agency a list of possessions that he/she is removing from Canada. Then, when he/she returns to Canada, CBSA reconciles that list with the list of stuff that the returning Canadian resident brings into Canada. That's what happened when we moved from Calgary to Houston to Melbourne and back to Calgary again. Because our two lists matched (and they did glance at them to ascertain that they were similar), we did not pay import duty when we returned.
x
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:59 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Khuppe, your husband should phone Canada Border Services Agency at 1-800-461-9999 from Monday to Friday between 8.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. local time. That's a toll free number.

You can phone them at 204-983-3500. That's a Manitoba area code, so take the time difference into consideration. But, if you phone them, you'll have to pay for the call.
x
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:14 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Khuppe, your husband should phone Canada Border Services Agency at 1-800-461-9999 from Monday to Friday between 8.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. local time. That's a toll free number.

You can phone them at 204-983-3500. That's a Manitoba area code, so take the time difference into consideration. But, if you phone them, you'll have to pay for the call.
x

Thank you very much must appreciated
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khuppe
Thank you very much must appreciated
Well I finally got my application form sent off today and I have made a hoo ha
by forgetting one of my sons pictures so 7 has went into his envelope rather than 8....... what will happen now? Stressed!!!!

I hope your idiot husband isn't a BE member?

Chill.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:13 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

lmao Touche novocastrian
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:33 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I hope your idiot husband isn't a BE member?

Chill.

It was a question, alot of hassle to dredge that particular piece up about my sons passport picture but whatever floats your boat. Too much time on your hands I think. You need to chill.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khuppe;
It was a question, alot of hassle to dredge that particular piece up about my sons passport picture but whatever floats your boat. Too much time on your hands I think. You need to chill.
<dozes off>
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:45 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

<dozes off>
Another arrogant prat who invades a topic just for the sake of it to put his two pence in. Grow up.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

<dozes off>
Your wicked comments (and 10/10 for observation), never fail to amuse me. Even funnier than your comments are the reactions/responses to them.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Another arrogant prat who invades a topic just for the sake of it to put his two pence in. Grow up.
So tell me...where is this British humour that we keep hearing about?

Where did it go?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:03 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annabella
Your wicked comments (and 10/10 for observation), never fail to amuse me. Even funnier than your comments are the reactions/responses to them.
I presume by that you mean ME - well I did think it was touche - nothing wrong with that. She called her husband an idiot for forgetting the itenerary, after she forgot the photo- the comment was touche.....absolutely nothing wrong with my comment in response - it wasnt rude, nasty or mean, it wasnt insulting to the OP - it was a comment - so sod off and leave me alone with YOUR nastiness
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:23 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tanah;
I presume by that you mean ME - well I did think it was touche - nothing wrong with that. She called her husband an idiot for forgetting the itenerary, after she forgot the photo- the comment was touche.....absolutely nothing wrong with my comment in response - it wasnt rude, nasty or mean, it wasnt insulting to the OP - it was a comment - so sod off and leave me alone with YOUR nastiness
Ooooh! Handbags!!

Edit: Tanah, I think annabella was commenting on the OPs reply, not yours.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 24th 2008 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:07 pm
is Happy

Ooooh! Handbags!!

Edit: Tanah, I think annabella was commenting on the OPs reply, not yours.
hmmmmmm - im not so sure about that lol

pffft to handbags - lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.