Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

hugs and kisses to all you helpful people

hugs and kisses to all you helpful people

Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of
Default hugs and kisses to all you helpful people

at long last i have a job , after 120 applications 6 interviews i have a job. to say my self esteem was hitting a low ebb is under exaggerating.

i took on board the advice certain people were offering and completely changed my resume , i played down my achievements , adjusted my resume to the job applied for and believe you me , once i did that the interviews came in , yep only 6 but that was enough , the joke being i have been applying for jobs since september and i have had the 6 interviews in the last 3 weeks , 2 yesterday and the guy phoned me back today and offered the job to me.

what i hated the most is the no replies or even a no thank you , one guy said we will call and let me know friday , well it is thursday of the following week and hey no call .

but who cares i am working monday , doing the same as i did in the uk , admin , reception etc and that suits me.

so a big thankyou to those who help with words of wisdom and encouragement in general, to those who ask.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hugs and kisses to all you helpful people

Bloody well done. Have a few on me!

#
Originally Posted by dentaltech
at long last i have a job , after 120 applications 6 interviews i have a job. to say my self esteem was hitting a low ebb is under exaggerating.

i took on board the advice certain people were offering and completely changed my resume , i played down my achievements , adjusted my resume to the job applied for and believe you me , once i did that the interviews came in , yep only 6 but that was enough , the joke being i have been applying for jobs since september and i have had the 6 interviews in the last 3 weeks , 2 yesterday and the guy phoned me back today and offered the job to me.

what i hated the most is the no replies or even a no thank you , one guy said we will call and let me know friday , well it is thursday of the following week and hey no call .

but who cares i am working monday , doing the same as i did in the uk , admin , reception etc and that suits me.

so a big thankyou to those who help with words of wisdom and encouragement in general, to those who ask.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Only one word hun..........

.....................................CONGRATULATIO NS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:14 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s !
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

judy .... you are in particular the one person i would personally like to thank as your words of help and encouragement are well worth every penny in my book.

sound information and i took your advice , ( as well as some others ) applied it and here i am a working person again
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:34 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

judy .... you are in particular the one person i would personally like to thank as your words of help and encouragement are well worth every penny in my book.

sound information and i took your advice , ( as well as some others ) applied it and here i am a working person again
Well done! Isn't it a great feeling?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Best of luck for Monday.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased for you.....still waiting for my opportunity to come around so that I may celebrate, but nonetheless chuffed to bits for you (Karma to you).

I'm interested in knowing how you tweaked your Resume though.....mine is 2 pages and lists my employment history right back to leaving high school, and I also list Career Objectives and Key Skills. To me, I think my Resume looks impressive, but what would I know....I'm just the Applicant! Any tips you can offer on condensing my Resume would really be appreciated!

Jaycee
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

A Red Letter Day for you !

Well done
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:24 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Really pleased for you.....still waiting for my opportunity to come around so that I may celebrate, but nonetheless chuffed to bits for you (Karma to you).

I'm interested in knowing how you tweaked your Resume though.....mine is 2 pages and lists my employment history right back to leaving high school, and I also list Career Objectives and Key Skills. To me, I think my Resume looks impressive, but what would I know....I'm just the Applicant! Any tips you can offer on condensing my Resume would really be appreciated!

Jaycee

Shorten it maybe? I'll e-mail you my one so you can see what I send out......
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:49 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!!

I'm sure the resume is all important, together with a cover letter!

Also now you have landed this one job, even if it turns out to be not quite what you want to do, it'll lead to others so much more easily!

Congratulations, it's great!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:10 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Brilliant! Well done you!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATULATIONS, I'm so glad your persistence paid off, and I hope they have the sense to promote you once they realise what you can really do!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray

Jaycee
i demoted myself !! quite literally , i went from a director , running my own company , senior management roles and area manager to , admin clerk ( gave up the bit about running my own company ) but at interview mentioned it was my company but hubby ran it , i just did the admin ,. i also demoted myself to adimistration , receptionist and senior assistant , i just felt the word director , manager and area manager posed a threat and gave an impression i knew it all and could not be taught anything. infact the job i have got is exactly the same a in the uk but i do not own it ! , all the duties are the same. i have not lied , i have just removed a few key words which seem to have stopped me getting interviews . mine was 2 pages still ,it was just the words , i appreciate i am not dumbing down qualifications or degrees as i do not have those and those of you with professions this may not be the case , but for those of us who can do it and like Iaink said , perhaps they may promote me once they can see what i can do . my object was to get a foot in the door and prove myself from there.
thanks everyone for your support and good luck to others still looking.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, well deserved for your perseverence!