Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Huge dilemma over my cat - what do you think?

Huge dilemma over my cat - what do you think?

Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

priceycheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Huge dilemma over my cat - what do you think?

Hello! First post on here after lurking for a while. I'm nearing completion of negotiation for a job in Ontario and starting to look at all the implications of moving.

Although non pet owners may scoff, without question my biggest dilemma is over what to do with my cat. She's 16 now, and although she's in basically good health, she's obviously past her prime and increasingly staying indoors. My new job will involve a lot of travel, so I'll often be away for a night or two at a time. I wouldn't mind taking her, but am certainly concerned about her quality of life (not to mention the flight over).

Advice from friends/relatives seems to be leaning towards rehoming her, but of course this is easier said than done.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who has faced a similar dilemma, what you decided, and how it worked out in the end. And of course, if there's anyone on here who knows very compassionate people in the UK who may be prepared to take on a senior cat I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:43 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Huge dilemma over my cat - what do you think?

I'm surprised that so many have viewed your thread but no one has commented.

I'd probably follow the family advice and find a good home for her. There are coyotes and 5 foot tall wolves here that might make her into a quick snack so probably best not to bring her
Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:47 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I would leave her behind. The trip will no doubt affect her and if you can find a good enough home, she would be best left in England.
We brought our 12 year old cat over and he was slightly traumatised, settled in well but less than a year later we had to have him put down. His whole personality had changed and he became very aggressive. It all ended in my youngest nearly losing her eye, when all she did was stroke him.

Good luck in your decision making
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We left our cat with very good friends. She was a rescue and incredibly timid, never straying from our immediate front and back of house. We worried about her flying and trying to get her to come to terms with new life all over again. She is a very happy cat where she is now.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Find a good taxidermist and bring it as carry on.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

A cat dilemma by someone called 'priceycheese' ? Hmm....
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:48 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same situation with our dog, he had a stroke a month before we were due to fly, he was 15. The vet said that the flight could traumatise him so badly. We left him with our best friends, who he has spent alot of time with since he was a puppy.

He is doing really well and we can see that we did the right thing for him however, there is not a day goes by that I don't miss him.

Go with what is in your heart and what you feel is right. Good luck, it's a very tough decision.

Karen
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:29 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

We came with our dog in tow, but he was younger ,I would not bring your cat if you have other options, changes in circumstances beyond the flight can have an adverse affect on animals , which to be fair is not their fault, good luck!

To add , we had a cat that we re homed in the uk

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Dec 29th 2012 at 11:20 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We left our cats with a friend. They loved the outdoors and if they had been here they would have ended up as a coyote's dinner...
They love their "new" home and we get regular updates. We're glad we left them although we miss them, especially the kids...
We brought the dog, she was 10 years old at the time and was totally unfazed...But we brought my Mum's dog too who had a heart condition and she died within about a week due to the extra pressures from the flight...

Difficult call but if you can find somebody to care for her in the UK that would be my suggestion...
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

When we moved to sheffield from Aberdeen, we had two 12 yr old cats, the vet lived in the next house down the lane, he said best thing to do was put them down... they lived outside and would have got run over in Sheffield... no good rehoming them as they would have tried to find their way home, the guy who bought the house was a pilot and was away often.. and I wasn't putting them in a rescue place, case they got seperated, the vet told us they had had a great life and that was the best thing to do... harsh, but thats what we decided for the best....
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:29 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

The age of the cat might be the main factor. Settling in to a strange place plus the flight might be upsetting. We brought two cats with us when we came over - one 5 one 10, so were younger and they both settled in straight away, but didn't like the flight much. The younger one is still alive at 19 and showing no signs of slowing down.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:53 am
Just Joined

priceycheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I will try to rehome her and keep my fingers crossed.

She's was a Blue Cross cat originally. I've already spoken to them and they said they'd take her in if I couldn't find a new home myself, but warned me this would probably not be a good option as she's not sociable with other cats and hasn't been in a cattery for about 10 years. It's a tough one, for sure.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:19 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Its a hard decision I know. Our little three legged cat was about 10 when we moved and we decided to bring her with us and, four years on, she's still doing well. That said, with a 16 year old cat, I would give serious consideration to the option though; not from the point of living in Canada but from the flight issue alone. For an older cat, the stress may be too much. However, you know your cat and its a decision only you can make. Do you have any family or friends that would be willing to take the cat on? Even though we brought our cat (and dog) with us, we were lucky in that both sets of parents and even our neighbours offered to take them on for us if we didn't bring them with us. All the best and hope it all works out whatever you decide.