Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hubby's getting cold feet

Hubby's getting cold feet

Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:27 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all
Default Re: Hubby's getting cold feet

Originally Posted by Batfink
Hi John,

Can't afford to do both unfortunately - which is half mu hubby's problem!! It's one or the other
If your a year of so from landing, then I'd suggest to upgrade your house as it's better than having it in a bank.

rgds,

John

cold feet is nornal btw, emotions will rise and fall like peaks & valley
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

True, but then, how do we save enough in a year to make the 10 grand that we need for settlement funds? I could always pimp out the old man i suppose!!!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:37 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

yip I wonder if I could send James out to sell his body and boy what a house I never thought of that mmmm sounds good to me Im off to send some photos and if Im not back in half an hour Im pissed and in a heap somewhereonly kiddingwell I did ask if you wanted some companybloody vodka is a floating down well
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Kate, where are you going to send these photos..... post office (which, by the way, will be closed by now!!!), or just into the the other room to use the computer!!!

Just asking in case we need to inform the police of your disappearence
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:49 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

mug shots of the white clan I think the police will pay anyone to take us away and throw away the key can you beleave it I ran out of time trying to send them dam computer is knackerd fit for the knackers yard I will have to switch off for 5 and try again
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Again, no idea of what you just said!!!! More vodka.....?
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:56 pm
Lloydminster AB

mug shot-photo once seen the police will say leave them where they areGlad to say they got sent in the end and god help the poor soul who has to work out whats what.but they are use to me by now and will have it sustwell time for our film sweeties and plonk at the ready enjoy the rest of your night as JOHNNY DEPP is calling
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:23 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there
I think throughout this process 'most' people have a case of the wobbles from time to time, and not always at the same times.

Emigrating was initially my hubbys idea, we visited Canada, decided as a couple to go for it, and I was dead focused the whole way and didn't really allow any doubts to surface too high.

My hubby and I picked up our son on his last day of school in the UK, and my hub suddenly became a wreck.
"what the hell are we doing?" , "he's so settled in a lovely little school', look at what we are giving up to head into the unknown"...............all these phrases suddenly started spilling from his mouth and we were due to fly out in a matter of days.

This continued, at the airport, on the plane, landing in Canada................tons of negativity from the word go, but 2 years later we are still here, settling gradually, but loving life and lifestyle here.

Its not easy, but as long as you are BOTH committed to the idea and work together to make a go of it, then you can handle the challenges
Good Luck xx
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

sheryl is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Hubby's getting cold feet

Originally Posted by Batfink
Hi

We have been in this process for about 2 years now and are awaiting either a refusal or med requests. My problem is that now my husband is gettting cold feet about the whole thing. I suppose it's only natural seeing as emmigrating is now becoming more of a reality and i guess that he is feeling the weight of responsibility, but how do i get him to regain some of the hope and excitement that he had before? He tells me that he still fully intends to go to canada should we have the opportunity but now all he sees is what we would be giving up and how all the money that we have saved could be spent on extending our house etc. I want to take some of the worry away - he worries about far too much anyway - he's a worry wart!!!

H E L P
Hya
We too as a family are playing the long long waiting game - its been 3 years!!! we are hoping that we have jumped through the final hoop- the medical! My husband has recently been looking at property on the web which has significantly increased in price since we first applied. This has really knocked the stuffing out of him as it was one of the main reasons why we doing it so that we could enjoy a better lifestyle. We are a large family of which - 4 have professional qualifications, 2 are of college/uni age and 1 is still at secondary school, so as you may appreciate this has not been an easy experience. I feel that as we have got so far where light at the end of the tunnel is approaching, it would be stupid to throw the towel in! I am worried as Robin (hubby) who has been our rock - the planner and organizer seems to be giving up the will to proceed. I am hoping that this a natural response to a long painful experience of living life in limbo and he will get back on track once we hear from the embassy. What would be useful is to learn where people are hoping to live and the reasons why. Throughout the 3 years we have changed our mind so many times on where we would like to live that the whole of Canada seems to be morphing into one province!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

I think that he needs to evaluate whats is important. How much would putting an extension on your house improve your life in the uk. Would it make you want to stay. I suspect the reason you are leaving the UK is for a complete lifestyle overhaul and to have a better quality of life, which i guess is what all of us are moving for. I know this sounds lame, but make a list of all the positives and negatives for both. For me its no contest. I dont want to work my life away in the UK, watching TV every night and bringing kids up here is not an option. In Canada, life is for living.

I hope it all works out
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

michellej is an unknown quantity at this point

We to have been through that new extension on the house bit(must be a man thing)and the,what are we doing and giving up. We have changed jobs,tried to carry on with life here but deep down we know if we stay we will regret it,not in years to come but sooner.Think back to why you wanted to do this.
I think we all agree it's not going to be easy but life is what you make it and you only get the one shot at it!

Michelle x
PS. don't try the frying pan thing,doesnt work and you will get an assault charge on yer police check,lol,
Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:36 am
frothing loon mk 2

hamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by michellej
We to have been through that new extension on the house bit(must be a man thing)and the,what are we doing and giving up. We have changed jobs,tried to carry on with life here but deep down we know if we stay we will regret it,not in years to come but sooner.Think back to why you wanted to do this.
I think we all agree it's not going to be easy but life is what you make it and you only get the one shot at it!

Michelle x
PS. don't try the frying pan thing,doesnt work and you will get an assault charge on yer police check,lol,
20 years ago i got ajob offer in new brunswick andat the last minute
it was me that chickened out,i reretted that decision ever since
i never thought i would get the chance again, but we encouraged our son and family when their chance cameto grab it with both horns, that was 6 years ago ,now they are to sponsor us. and i can t wait
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:00 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sheryl
. What would be useful is to learn where people are hoping to live and the reasons why. Throughout the 3 years we have changed our mind so many times on where we would like to live that the whole of Canada seems to be morphing into one province!
Thats a tricky decision as all provinces are quite different. We were initially looking at AB and BC as we wanted to have access to the Rockies.

AB won, purely as the province offered my hub the best job prospects in his field, and (at the time) it was cheaper to live than BC.

We have wondered wether the decision to choose AB was the right one, as aesthetically it doesn't always hit the spot for us, especially in the winter, but there are many many positives about the province aswell, so we are staying put for the time being.

But who knows where we may end up. NS and BC are still tempting us ?????
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:37 pm
Lloydminster AB

Dont know about you Batfink but Ive been suffering all dayI think a hair of the dog is in order
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R2D2
We have wondered wether the decision to choose AB was the right one, as aesthetically it doesn't always hit the spot for us, especially in the winter, but there are many many positives about the province aswell, so we are staying put for the time being.
I know exactly what you mean here. Although there are some truly beautiful and spectacular areas to AB there is an awful lot of semi flat farmland or just acres and acres of spruce. The buildings aren't exactly examples of superior architecture either! However, it is growing on me, and I do love the space.

We came with the view that we would start off here, but would then be free to move to a different province if we chose. Because of the house prices here now, a lot of people appear to be eithe moving back to the Sask or Mant (having come here previously to look for work) or else moving there for the first time. The word from housing/business developers is that Sask will be the next big thing because the oil sands there are as rich, if not richer, than those in AB. Already houses in Saskatoon are starting to increase but at the moment are still reasonable in much of the province - potentially a good investment for the future After buying an acreage here (4 acres) we've gotton the bug for more land and would love more! Far too expensive around these parts now

We are considering a move there once we have PR and my hubby has "freedom" from his work permit. Again, though, the sameness of the landscape would probably get to me after a while.

We would love to go to NB or one of the other maritime provinces as we really miss the seaside We know peeps in NB and they find it quite close to old-style UK/Ireland/Scotland in attitudes and friendliness. However, if the jobs are not there and the young people keep moving away we wonder about the sort of future our son may have

BC was never an option for us - simply because of the cost of housing there - which is a shame. Likewise the northern provinces hold no appeal cos they're just too far away - and cold!

I guess it's all swings and roundabouts. In the UK there are few choices - here there are so many I guess the only way to know where to go is to follow a job in the first instance and see how you like it but be flexible for the future and to not give up on Canada if your initial choice turns out to be not the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.