Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HSBC Premier Account International Exchange rates

Wikiposts

HSBC Premier Account International Exchange rates

Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: HSBC Premier Account International Exchange rates

Ah, understood.

Good to know.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Get an experian credit report as our mortgage application was approved after we submitted a copy to the bank (assuming your UK credit history is good of course)
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scribe123
I guess all the above is important once you're up and running in Canada, but for the initial move I was considering a HSBC premier account because I'd heard you carry your UK credit rating to Canada, whereas without you would be starting your credit rating from scratch.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?
Having a HSBC UK premier account prior to setting up a Canada HSBC premier account definitely helps when getting credit with HSBC Canada. Will not be beneficial with any Canadian financial institute. We did exactly that and had no problem getting mortgage, credit cards and a car loan with HSBC Canada.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 2:38 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedisappeared
Just came across this thread as I've been contemplating moving some more money over for a while. The spread is now crazy. Quoted $1.54 today while xe.com showed $1.59. xetrade.com beat them at $1.57.

It seems to be an HSBC UK thing so I won't be using them again.

Have people found a better alternative? I hear that HSBC HK has much better rates but not sure if it's possible to open a Premier account there.
BritishExpats site has an arrangement with moneycorp where there are no transfer fees for British Expats members (not sure if/what this saves)

http://exchangerates.britishexpats.com/

I've not used them but there rates seem competitive.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

jimmyhoffa is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to do an experiment with HSBC wherein I'd attempt a US->UK transfer and a UK->US transfer and see how far the spread was. Typically it was about 0.5%, which is extremely good. Suddenly I attempted one today, but noticed that it was 0.608 US -> UK, but 1.55 UK->US. So if I were to transfer $1000 to UK and then back again, I'd have $942.

I assume what's going on with CA is similar. Just a couple months ago I was not getting such bad rates.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Boomy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving to Canada from the UK shortly, and had heard good things about the HSBC premier account, and its exchange rate. Has the GBP-->CAD situation improved, or am I better of just using a Forex?

Thanks!