Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HSBC passport account

HSBC passport account

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about
Smile HSBC passport account

Hi All
just found out about a bank account that HSBC is doing for immigrants called the passport, in which you don`t pay any bank charges for six months.

regards

Bananahammock
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all
Default Re: HSBC passport account

We opened one before we left england and the account has worked well and HSBC have been very efficient and helpful.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:16 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Why open a passport account when you can have a normal bank account with them in Canada. It can be opened from UK and theres a one off charge of £100 (free for HSBC plus/premier account holders)
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all

it is a normal bank account switches to a different name after few months and I didn't pay anything up front just completed form on line and took ID into my local HSBC in England. I had had no previous accounts with HSBC.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

PaulandDawn is on a distinguished road

We're looking into the exact same thing at the moment. We want to set up an HSBC account before we leave so it's all set when we get there. Could only find the one where you pay £100, I'll have to look for the passport one and fill in the form. Cheers guys!!!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Also, it is right that when you move to Canada HSBC are in fact the Bank of Montreal?????
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:42 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandDawn
Also, it is right that when you move to Canada HSBC are in fact the Bank of Montreal?????
No,

The BMO and HSBC have an ATM access partnership...so you don't pay fees for using the others ATM.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about

Hi there
We set ours up over there, it takes less than an hour to do, you get to talk to someone ( set up a savings account where you deposit the money in pounds, so you can wait till the exchange rate is more favourable then transfer into canadian with out any fees, you get your bank card there and walk out the bank with a working account, job done.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:51 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I was with First Direct in the UK, got a letter of reference from them and opened an HSBC Passport account when we arrived. Very easy, friendly and helpful. Got an HSBC credit card, unsecured, nice and easily too.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:05 pm
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Edo
Why open a passport account when you can have a normal bank account with them in Canada. It can be opened from UK and theres a one off charge of £100 (free for HSBC plus/premier account holders)
I've got a HSBC Plus account but they still wanted to charge me £100 the other day when I enquired about it!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:11 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't cost me anything to open a Passport account
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

I went into HSBC in Dartford to enquire about Cdn accounts yesterday. They said that I cannot open a passport account in the UK and have to wait until we get to Canada. And in regard to opening a normal international account here before we go, we would have to pay the £100 fee but they said that we would probably have to be existing HSBC customers. As we're with the Halifax that means opening another UK bank account aswell as the Cdn one. Anyone else find this confusing???!!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

English branches of HSBC won't open anything for you, go to HSBC Canada on line send them an e mail and they will e mail you the application form to complete and send back.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

first direct sorted ours out, it was free but had to go into the local HSBC to sugn the papers and they were then sent through hsbc internal mail. It wasnt overly smooth, we opted for a premier account in canada, but the premier accouint wasnt available in winnipeg as they didnt have a premier manager - so they put us on a regular account, ie pay for each transaction rather than a monthly fee, also they put a daily limit on cards, (which was a major pain getting set up in the house)

I now have a premier account cos the branch now has a premier manager! so it's ok now!

s
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:25 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
first direct sorted ours out, it was free but had to go into the local HSBC to sugn the papers and they were then sent through hsbc internal mail. It wasnt overly smooth, we opted for a premier account in canada, but the premier accouint wasnt available in winnipeg as they didnt have a premier manager - so they put us on a regular account, ie pay for each transaction rather than a monthly fee, also they put a daily limit on cards, (which was a major pain getting set up in the house)

I now have a premier account cos the branch now has a premier manager! so it's ok now!

s
HSBC is winnipeg is a pain in the rear...don't be surprised if you only use it for international transfers!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.