Wikiposts

Hrdc????

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Hrdc????

Is there ANYONE out there who has used teh HRDC to help them find work??? I've just been reading a book called 'How to get a Job in canada' I bought from www.howtobooks.co.uk and I must say its been an interesting read. As I have no qualification to speak of and no time now to get re-qualified, I'm just trying to explore all options. I don't yet want to visit my local office in Swift Current but it may be a better option that trying one in Vancouver.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 4:05 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Hrdc????

Originally Posted by Smokey
Is there ANYONE out there who has used teh HRDC to help them find work??? I've just been reading a book called 'How to get a Job in canada' I bought from www.howtobooks.co.uk and I must say its been an interesting read. As I have no qualification to speak of and no time now to get re-qualified, I'm just trying to explore all options. I don't yet want to visit my local office in Swift Current but it may be a better option that trying one in Vancouver.
Nope ... I got my first job through Workopolis and my second job through contacts.

What do you do for a living?

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Nope ... I got my first job through Workopolis and my second job through contacts.

What do you do for a living?
I don't do anything particularly... I am the dependant who has been a clerical worker doing accounts/system testing/Claims Advisor. I have a CV streatching 20 years plus but I only have an NVQ3 in customer services and no canadian experience. Whilst I can look into upgrading quals I need to sort out a resume now. I was just wondering about the HRDC folks.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

If you are talking about finding work from within Canada then I'd think of the HRDC in the same way you'd think about the Job Centre in the UK. They have automated booths that list job postings in all the various sectors of the job market. I'd say personally that they tend to be more skilled work and everyday type jobs rather than professional or executive type jobs. I am sur ethey have programs for job seekers as well although as it's a government agency I am not sure exactly what they provide or what situation you have to bein to qualify.

I'd think of it as just another job search tool along with internet job pages like workopolis and monster etc, Newspapers like the Globe & Mail for professional listings or more local papers for everyday kind of work. Networking and all that too. One place I found useful when I first arrived was the local YMCA of all places. They had a job centre place that had free phones and internet and printing for resumes and free consultations with people who could help you find out exactly what it is you want to do and how best to look and different ways to go about it and so forth.

Drew
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 7:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You can search any jobs posted by HRDC at the jobbank website.

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Intro_en.asp
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
You can search any jobs posted by HRDC at the jobbank website.

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Intro_en.asp
Iaink, thanks for the info. I think I'll go into our local Swift Current one as they're likely to be more helpful (well, we'll see anyway) than a busy one in Vancouver which is likely to be my final destination. At least there's work there and I can finally start getting my life back in some order....as long as I don't have to work with food at all
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wizzard
If you are talking about finding work from within Canada then I'd think of the HRDC in the same way you'd think about the Job Centre in the UK. They have automated booths that list job postings in all the various sectors of the job market. I'd say personally that they tend to be more skilled work and everyday type jobs rather than professional or executive type jobs. I am sur ethey have programs for job seekers as well although as it's a government agency I am not sure exactly what they provide or what situation you have to bein to qualify.

I'd think of it as just another job search tool along with internet job pages like workopolis and monster etc, Newspapers like the Globe & Mail for professional listings or more local papers for everyday kind of work. Networking and all that too. One place I found useful when I first arrived was the local YMCA of all places. They had a job centre place that had free phones and internet and printing for resumes and free consultations with people who could help you find out exactly what it is you want to do and how best to look and different ways to go about it and so forth.

Drew
Drew thanks...it'll be interesting to find out
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hrdc????

Iaink, thanks for the info. I think I'll go into our local Swift Current one as they're likely to be more helpful (well, we'll see anyway) than a busy one in Vancouver which is likely to be my final destination. At least there's work there and I can finally start getting my life back in some order....as long as I don't have to work with food at all
hi! i arrived in canada around a couple of months ago from the uk and i have tried the hrdc and all the other job-help programmes here in ontario.
my first job i have got by just going round all companies in my area and handing out my resume to all of them! the hrdc and other agencies did not help much at all. the job market here works differently to that elsewhere, in that its not what you know, its who you know! i have been posting on this site quite a few times, so you may want to read those too. another thing, jobs in vancouver are not easy at all to find, as the economy is a bit slower than here in the east coast side, someone told me recently. unless you are into lumber-jacking....!
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 12:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you found a job Julius. Was it in you field, or is it just a stop gap till you can find something better?

Iain

Originally Posted by julius smith
hi! i arrived in canada around a couple of months ago from the uk and i have tried the hrdc and all the other job-help programmes here in ontario.
my first job i have got by just going round all companies in my area and handing out my resume to all of them! the hrdc and other agencies did not help much at all. the job market here works differently to that elsewhere, in that its not what you know, its who you know! i have been posting on this site quite a few times, so you may want to read those too. another thing, jobs in vancouver are not easy at all to find, as the economy is a bit slower than here in the east coast side, someone told me recently. unless you are into lumber-jacking....!